Menu
Dougal71
Joining in
Message 1 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Poor broadband connection

Wondered if anyone else has this problem - our broadband is shockingly slow, despite the website telling me that we've been boosted to 50MB speed!  When I phone to ask why our wifi is constantly dropping out and our desktop computer (hardwired to the superhub) is constantly timing out when waiting on websites - I'm told our cables are old and due to be upgraded October time, and don't expect a fast service during peak times.....  Is it really acceptable to be charging us full price for a service which can be slower than dialup?  And why tell us our area has been supercharged?  I've tried all the "fixes" suggested with the superhub, but unless I get up in the middle of the night, when the traffic is quieter, the internet is super slow?  Any suggestions welcome please?  thanks!

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Re: Poor broadband connection

Slow speeds only at peak times (typically 4pm-11pm weekdays and weekends) is normally a symptom of high utilisation/contention in your area.

Somebody from the VM forum team should be along in a few days (up to a week) to check your connection and can confirm if there is a known issue with your segment of the network. If that is the case they should provide a fault reference and inform you about your credit options for the lack of service via a PM. They should also be able to provide a review date for the fault. Note that it is a review date not an expected fix date and some customers affected by this kind of issue have been waiting years for a fix.

Disclaimer - I don't work for Virgin Media. I'm just another VM user trying to help out so my answers may be wrong Smiley Happy If you do like my answer please mark it as helpful as it may help others
My setup: Vivid 200 Optical fibre with Superhub 2 in modem mode connected to a Netgear R7000 router. Telewest/VM user since 2001.  

Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 3 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Hi Dougal71

Welcome to the community and thanks for posting.

Many apologies that you are experiencing slow broadband speeds.

Do you only notice the slow speeds during peak hours?

Are you able to complete a speed test through a wired connection on speedtest.net > selecting the default server, at different times of the day and let us know the results please.

Let us know how you get on

Sam

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

0 Kudos
Dougal71
Joining in
Message 4 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Hi Sam

so we've performed lots of speed tests with the results all coming in between 3 and 6 Mbps.    I think we can all agree that's completely unacceptable considering it's meant to be 50!

Gillian

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 5 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Hello Gillian

Thank you for getting back, it is a bit of a puzzle as we have had a thorough check of your connection and it is all looking good from here.

Hub and line all parameters looking good, area traffic low, area streams noise and error free.

At the moment I am continuously pinging the modem with average 7mS returns which suggests a good fast connection.

As Sam mentioned please always use www.speedtest.net leaving the default server to measure speed. Is it just the one PC you have wired by the way, would you have another one to hand to try a speed test please just in case that has a problem.

Thanks

Nicola

Virgin Media Forum Team
0 Kudos
Dougal71
Joining in
Message 6 of 11
Flag for a moderator

still experiencing the same problems - our average speed is now 5 - checking with our more up to date laptop hard wired.  It's hopeless.  Our Amazon fire stick keeps stopping and our phones are slow on the wireless.  Is it not the modem at fault?  Surely this can't be the cables outside - why would they be so rubbish?

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 7 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Hello Dougal71

Sorry to hear you are still having problems, I have just done some more tests and all still looking good. Good pings times to your modem suggesting a very fast connection. We have some advice to help with the wireless.

At the moment the hub is reporting as being continuously online for the last 32 days so may be worth trying a reboot. If you are still having problems with wired speed then it perhaps try modem only mode Enabling and disabling modem mode on your Virgin Media router with a couple of different devices using speedtest.net leaving the default server to see how that goes. 

Many thanks

Nicola

Virgin Media Forum Team
0 Kudos
Dougal71
Joining in
Message 8 of 11
Flag for a moderator

This has been happening for months now - we have rebooted so many times.  tonight we have no wireless in the house at all - the TV is not working on wifi, none of our phones and none of our tablets.  Took me ages to get onto this computer.  Please please please can we try a new modem - otherwise it's off to Ofcom because this is just intolerable, we've tried everything you've suggested over and over - we used to reboot almost everyday with no continuous success. 

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 9 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Hey Dougal71,

Thanks for getting back to us Smiley Happy

So sorry to see that this is still on-going. I appreciate all the tests and diagnostics you've done so far.

I think at this point we need to try a replacement, so I'll drop you a PM (purple envelope, top right) to confirm your address.

Speak with you very soon,

Take care.

Heather_J

Tech fan? Have you read our Digital life blog yet? Check it out

0 Kudos
Craigcop
Just joined
Message 10 of 11
Flag for a moderator

My connection keeps dropping out either via the wireless or the Ethernet lead this has been happening now for two years each time I call up they change the channel on the hub . This has never fixed the problem and they seem reluctant to send an engineer
Anyone any ideas on a course of action I'm thinking change suppliers as virgin claim to be the best but they just want your money
0 Kudos