Menu
VK50
Tuning in
Message 1 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Ping responses on Hub 3.0

I've just been switched to a Hub 3.0.  Testing the firewall at https://www.grc.com/ indicates a failure because of responding to ping (ICMP echo) requests.  How does one turn off the response to ping requests in this version of router?  It was possible in superhub 2.

0 Kudos
deviousiphone
Rising star
Message 2 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Re: Ping responses on Hub 3.0

Enable the firewall on the router should do this.
0 Kudos
VK50
Tuning in
Message 3 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Firewall is enabled, and it doesn't!

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 4 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Hi VK50,

Thanks for taking the time to post on the community.

I'm sorry to read that you are having issues with testing the firewall due to ICMP requests.

Normally to turn off the ping requests on the Hub 3 you would need to enable the firewall within the router, however as you have mentioned, this has not worked.

As I am not familiar with the site that you are using are you able to post a screen shot of the error message that you receive when trying this. If it has sensitive information on it, by all means send it in a PM (purple envelope icon, right corner).

To make sure that the ICMP ping requests work you can try to create a Broadband Quality Monitor, with both the firewall disabled and enabled. If you do set up a BQM, with the ICMP disabled you will see a red block of data on the graph.

Hope to hear from you soon

Sam

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

0 Kudos
pyrotenax
Fibre optic
Message 5 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Why do you feel the need you want to block it ? Have a read on here ... http://security.stackexchange.com/questions/22711/is-it-a-bad-idea-for-a-firewall-to-block-icmp

Running ASUS RT-AC88U with Asuswrt-Merlin firmware
0 Kudos
VK50
Tuning in
Message 6 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Thanks very much for all that information!  I'm not by any means a security expert but have used the grc shields up web site for many years and have always blocked the ping responses, including with my previous Virgin hub, with no observable bad effects.  When I recieved a "failed" message (see my response to the previous note in this series) I thought I ought to at least ask some questions.  From your response I'm worrying unduly.
thanks again.

0 Kudos
legacy1
Hero
Message 7 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Maybe they changed it so that Ping responses is blocked when the firewall is off

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 8 of 9
Flag for a moderator

legacy1 wrote:
Maybe they changed it so that Ping responses is blocked when the firewall is off

Counter intuitive but I disabled FW on 9.1.116V for last 15minutes and TBB (AND "f8lure") still recording ICMP echo's. Of course a more comprehensive test would include both a reboot and FR over a longer period.

Regards Tony
"Life is a Binary Inspired Turing Computed Hologram"(don't PM or @Mention me - in case ignoring you offends)
0 Kudos
legacy1
Hero
Message 9 of 9
Flag for a moderator

so they changed it so that the Ping response is allowed with FW on/off.

0 Kudos