Menu
jon40ie
Joining in
Message 1 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Ping and latency

Hi there i have recently upgraded to the vivid gamer broadband on the thinking that it would reduce my ping times and lower lag, however it has made absolutley no differnce from the vivid 100 broadband i was on, 

I play games quite competitively and in fairness my ping is not super bad {around 32-44 ms} on a uk server however some of the guys i play with have 50meg bb and ping half of what i do.

i am also getting a result of a grade b* line on pingtest.com with around 7ms jitter on line which to be honest is a bit of a farce considering im on virgins top package, any help would be much apprecieted

0 Kudos
jb66
Alessandro Volta
Message 2 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Re: Ping and latency

Gamer has the same latency and ping as non gamer broadband.  If you want a lower ping then you would have to move to another provider

0 Kudos
jon40ie
Joining in
Message 3 of 7
Flag for a moderator

So exactly why is it called gamer when it does not improve gaming experience?
0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 4 of 7
Flag for a moderator

its used for gamers that live stream or need more upload speed.
0 Kudos
cje85
Knows their stuff
Message 5 of 7
Flag for a moderator

The 'Gamer' service would be better called 'Streamer' and aiming at those who do live streaming or lots of uploading. 

For the majority of online gamers ping/latency is a much more important factor and the Gamer service makes no difference to that except possibly making it worse due to the Intel bug in the Super Hub 3.

It's only good if you need faster/uncapped upload.

jon40ie
Joining in
Message 6 of 7
Flag for a moderator

OK then do I have a cool down period on this as i would like to cancel asap and was informed by tech supporteam that it would indeed decrease ping and latency
0 Kudos
jb66
Alessandro Volta
Message 7 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Yeah you have 14days cooling off
0 Kudos