Menu
tonyriviere
Joining in
Message 1 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Phoned Virgin twice - cost £25!!

Don't know where to post this so I will do it here.
For reasons I cannot explain I ditched Virgin Broadband as well as TV late last year. A couple of weeks ago I realised I was missing superfast broadband so I checked on the Virgin Media site, decided I needed to talk to a person (my cabling was still in place) rather than just order it. My previous provider had notified me of a price rise so I had a get out of jail free,
I rang two numbers over the course of a couple of days, one to discuss the deal I could get and another to confirm.
I rang the following number from my mobile in the first instance on 2nd March at 10:32 am and was on for 40 mins:
This was to become a customer and I got a notification today from my monile could company that it had cost me £24.55.
Ok, more fool me for not noticing the premium rate but I was phoning to become a customer!
Next up I ring a customer service number, was listened to and then advised to come to the VM site to complain via the "chat" facility. I have been trying for 4 hours and it is permanently showing as busy.
What can I do?

£24.55!!!

The new router is brilliant btw.

Tony
0 Kudos

Helpful Answers
Superuser
Superuser
Message 3 of 4
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Phoned Virgin twice - cost £25!!

Unfortunately there are quite a few scams going on at the moment where websites 'helpfully' list the contact numbers of Virgin Media, which are in fact rely numbers.

These relay numbers are high charging numbers created by a third party that then redirect you to the appropriate VM number. The third party then make money from the call. Virgin Media don't know anything is wrong as they just receive the incoming call as they would do from a direct dialled call.

A similar thing happened to this customer http://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Virgin-Mobile/18-call-charge-to-virgin-helpline-to-sort-out-a-15...

I work for Virgin Media - but all opinions posted here are my own
0 Kudos

All Replies
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 4
Flag for a moderator

VM do not use premium cost phone lines for sales. They have a freephone sales line on 0800 064 3836. Who you were phoning is a mystery. VM can be contacted at normal national rates on 0345 454 1111. I'm not sure you have any issue with VM here (in all honesty).

-----------------------

Superuser 2017/18
Use Kudos to say thanks
Mark answer as "helpful" only when the problem is solved
Please don't send me private messages unless I ask you to.
I do not work for VM. The advice I give is based on my best understanding of VM policy and practice. You rely on it at your own risk.
0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 3 of 4
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Unfortunately there are quite a few scams going on at the moment where websites 'helpfully' list the contact numbers of Virgin Media, which are in fact rely numbers.

These relay numbers are high charging numbers created by a third party that then redirect you to the appropriate VM number. The third party then make money from the call. Virgin Media don't know anything is wrong as they just receive the incoming call as they would do from a direct dialled call.

A similar thing happened to this customer http://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Virgin-Mobile/18-call-charge-to-virgin-helpline-to-sort-out-a-15...

I work for Virgin Media - but all opinions posted here are my own
0 Kudos
tonyriviere
Joining in
Message 4 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Thanks.

First time for everything. Bloody Google!
0 Kudos