Menu
Sheza
Up to speed
Message 1 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Persistent WiFi drops - new hub needed?

Hello,

I have experienced persistent WiFi drop-outs on my MacBook Pro, girlfriend's MacBook, iPhone and iPad. 

What will happen is I will come home from Uni, open my laptop, connect completely fine to the Wifi for anywhere from 2-15 minutes, and then suddenly pages stop working. The laptop will claim to still be connected to the WiFi with no issues, but a ping test reveals timeouts. 

What then happens is the internet is intermittent - 20 seconds of timeouts followed by 10 seconds of successful pings and so on.

Disconnecting and re-connecting to the WiFi resolves this problem for the rest of the duration of my active laptop use. The connection remains stable, save for the occasional lost packet.

We have a lot of WiFi devices in our house and I was told in store that the new SuperHub 3.0 has features that would help better support a large number of devices. Is this true, and can I get a new hub free of charge?

I would say that this is an issue with my laptop and hence I should ask Apple about it, but the issue persists across all of my devices and my girlfriend's. I cannot recall it occurring when I am at my other house, which is also with Virgin but far less devices.

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Re: Persistent WiFi drops - new hub needed?

which hub have you got - if the SH1 then that needs changing - a call to retentions will get that done FOC or at most postage - dont go into detail just say the wifi is awful which it is

if you have the 2 or 2ac then the 3 is really no better on wifi - hard to say what the problem is - you could look at changing channels to one that is not busy

post some levels from the SH

log into superhub - 192.168.0.1 - DON'T SIGN IN, click router status [top right] - and post the downstream and upstream figures

for retensions

dial 150 or 0345 454 1111 and follow the prompts to - you are thinking of leaving us - dont worry about that they do much more - open 'till 8pm - 6pm on saturdays - closed sunday and the plus is its a UK call centre

do you have any wired connections - do they drop when the wireless ones do

Tony
Sheza
Up to speed
Message 3 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Hi there,

Thanks very much for your response. We have the VMDG490 which I believe is the 2ac.

I will screenshot them for you as I know formatting is an issue on this board. I did a test when I got in from Uni today. I plugged my laptop in, it connected to the Wifi automatically - the 5Ghz band. (I apologise, for a laugh we mislabelled the wireless bands, hence squad2 is the 5Ghz and squad5 is the 2.4Ghz). I set a ping to Google's DNS (8.8.8.8) and timed how long it took to display the behaviour I spoke of. It lasted 14 and a half minutes. I've tried to embed the ping report in code at the bottom.

Downstream:

NdQV561

Upstream:

72YmhxG

Here's what my laptop reports, the Tx Rate constantly changes:

DGvMSoq

Ping Report: I could not post this here so please see (you will have to copy paste as the forum misformats the URL)  http://paste2.org/nF1nhdxZ 

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 4 of 13
Flag for a moderator

upstream is too high on one channel - the other is in limits but as high as it needs to get - that needs sorting - needs a tech - i will flag this to [hopefully] get VM here a bit quicker - once thats resolved go from there

Tony
0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 5 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Hey Sheza,

Thanks for posting and apologies for the connection problems.

As Tony has pointed out, there is an issue with the levels which would require an engineer to visit.

I'll drop you a PM (purple envelope, top right) with the appointment info.

Speak with you soon,

Take care.

Heather_J

Tech fan? Have you read our Digital life blog yet? Check it out

0 Kudos
Sheza
Up to speed
Message 6 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Engineer visit was fine - cordial bloke, I can only assume that my levels are spot on now. 

However, since the visit my laptop's WiFi performance has been even worse. The laptop never reports a drop-out, but it is clear in the background ping test and also my personal experience of non-loading pages. It's no longer a case of turning the WiFi on my laptop on and off again and have it be perfect for the rest of the session, it'll get itself in a twist every hour or so now. 

I'm not going to blame the visit because it would be impossible for me to, as the hub was not tinkered with in any way, but I am categorically telling the truth when I say it's been worse *just* since the visit. 

Due to the fact that my other devices have been fine, and others on WiFi don't report issues (or at least nowhere near as frequently as me) I have booked myself in to see Apple. I'm very wary of this turning into a blaming game between Apple and Virgin but we shall see. 

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 7 of 13
Flag for a moderator

you can post the levels as they are now - just to check - it may be that the channels on the wifi were changed - check that 

Tony
0 Kudos
cybmole
Community elder
Message 8 of 13
Flag for a moderator

wifi channel may be on "auto" and the auto channel changes are upsetting the laptop. try it on a set channel like 1, 6, 13

0 Kudos
Sheza
Up to speed
Message 9 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Changed to static channels, still happening unfortunately. Apple appointment is tomorrow.

cybmole
Community elder
Message 10 of 13
Flag for a moderator

ok , even so that is one possibility eleiminated

there may be a similar setting in laptop, where windows takes an occasional look to see if there is a better wifi signal elsewhere, so if you can find that & disable it- for Win 10 it shoudl be in settings. dunno about apple devices equivalent. it is more likely that you have a faulty hub though