Menu
miken1499
Tuning in
Message 1 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Persistant disconnections

Account No: ************                         Area:***

Hi, I am writing this as a last resort before deciding whether I should ditch Virgin.
For most of the time since the Telewest days I have been with Virgin but since the 7th October 2016, I have been experiencing regular disconnections on a daily basis. I am on the Vivid 200
package and up until 29/12/2016 had a Superhub 2ac. Between 7th October and 30th DEc 2016 I had to telephone support on a weekly basis who did the usual fiddling around, got me to soft and hard reset my router all to no effect as the regular rendom disconnections continued. I have had 4 engineers round who did very little other than check my router connections and the box outside the house, test my speed via Ookla.
I pointed out that the speed was ok when working but I could not rely on the connection.
The third engineer said it was a high utilization area and I was being traffic managed which
caused the dropouts. I pointed out that this was not my problem and did he seriously believe I would pay over £46 a month to browse a few web pages? I am prepared to pay for what I consider to be an over priced service because I expect to use it a lot! Even if it was fit for purpose it would still be overpriced as you only get the stated speed when doing a speed test with Ookla!

The engineer decided to swap my Superhub with another (refurbished) Superhub 2ac.
This did not resolve the problem so another call to Support and another engineer, this time he
said I should phone support and ask to be sent the new HUB3 as the Superhub 2ac could not
handle the high speeds?

I phoned support who after some haggling eventually agreed to send me the new Hub 3 which arrived a week later,
duly installed and activated. It worked fine for a day or two with just one disconnection but
then it started to get more frequent and I am now back to square one.

I telephoned support who passed me on to someone who checked my connection record and gave me £30 off my next bill, nice but I pointed out what I wanted was a more reliable connection.
For the last few days when the Hub3 disconnects and I try to reset it a web page comes up with a big red spot asking to click and it will try to reconnect me, it always FAILS.
Eventually by switching the hub on and off it will re-connect, until the next disconnection.
Prior to the 7th of October (Which is roughly when I was transferred over to the VIVID 200 from 100 mb), the service was very reliable with infrequent disconnections, during traffinc managent the speed would slow down but I was not disconnected.

Is there anyone at Virgin who knows what they are doing and can resolve this problem before
I abandon ship? AT no time have any of the engineers consulted the router logs or checked
street installed 'boxes'.

I am beginning to suspect from reading about other peoples similar problems that the truth of the matter is that Virgin has taken on so many subscribers that their network cannot cope with the higher speeds in some areas.
Their traffic management is out of date for todays streaming high utilization society and makes the VIVID 200 package virtually worthless and a rip off.

[MOD EDIT: Personal and private information has been removed from this post. Please do not post personal or private information in your public posts. Please review the Forum Guidelines]

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 2 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Re: Persistant disconnections

Afternoon miken1499,

Welcome to the community and thanks for posting.

Sorry to read of the experience you are having with your broadband connection. I can imagine how annoying this must be.

Looking at your connection, the router is showing as offline and not polling any data. Is the router turned off as not in use or are you experiencing loss of service?

Do you notice any lights change on the router at the time of the disconnection?

Are you able to post the network log from the router for us to check please?

It will be helpful if you can create a Broadband Quality Monitor as this will check the performance of the connection? If you do set up a BQM you will need to disable the firewall within the router settings.

Hope to hear from you soon

Sam

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

0 Kudos
miken1499
Tuning in
Message 3 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Hi Sam,

Thank your for replying, my router is always on apart from the 2-3 minutes when I turn it on and off to try and reconnect. Yesterday I telephoned Virgin media yet again after 15 disconnections. This time I was told that the reason I was getting an intermittent poor service is because they are doing major upgrades in my area! I pointed out that this has been ongoing since the 7th October 2016 and at no time has any support person or any of the FOUR visiting engineers mentioned any upgrades. Also pointed out that the service status page usually showed no problems. Again she repeated her statement, apologised for the lack of service and assured me that it would be resolved by the end of January if not earlier. To be honest I feel as though I am being given the run around and have little faith in the competence of Virgin or their engineers to resolve this. I'm not sure the correct way to post the network log but will try to cut and paste. When it goes offline the power light goes green and flashes, wifi and data lights green, sometimes flash etc.

21-1-2017 AFTER 7 DISCONNECTIONS SO FAR @16:45

Network Log
Date And Time
Error Number
Event Description
2017-01-21 15:37:32.00
No Ranging Response received - T3 time-out;CM-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CMTS-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CM-QOS=1.1;CM-VER=3.0;
2017-01-21 15:54:53.00
RCS Partial Service;CM-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CMTS-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CM-QOS=1.1;CM-VER=3.0;
2017-01-21 16:01:01.00
No Ranging Response received - T3 time-out;CM-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CMTS-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CM-QOS=1.1;CM-VER=3.0;
2017-01-21 16:01:49.00
Received Response to Broadcast Maintenance Request, But no Unicast Maintenance opportunities received - T4 time out;CM-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CMTS-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CM-QOS=1.1;CM-VER=3.0;
2017-01-21 16:02:29.00
2017-01-21 16:13:36.00
SYNC Timing Synchronization failure - Loss of Sync;CM-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CMTS-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CM-QOS=1.1;CM-VER=3.0;
2017-01-21 16:24:13.00
RCS Partial Service;CM-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CMTS-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CM-QOS=1.1;CM-VER=3.0;
2017-01-21 16:24:48.00
2017-01-21 16:25:36.00
Received Response to Broadcast Maintenance Request, But no Unicast Maintenance opportunities received - T4 time out;CM-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CMTS-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CM-QOS=1.1;CM-VER=3.0;
2017-01-21 16:26:22.00
2017-01-21 16:30:10.00
Lost MDD Timeout;CM-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CMTS-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CM-QOS=1.1;CM-VER=3.0;
2017-01-21 16:30:11.00
2017-01-21 16:36:41.00
2017-01-21 16:37:30.00
2017-01-21 16:39:06.00
2017-01-21 16:39:55.00

Mike

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 4 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Morning miken1499,

Thanks for getting back to me and posting your network log, I appreciate it.

The router is now showing online and there has been no time-outs reported within 24 hours. Have you noticed any further disconnections since you last posted?

I was unable to see any issues on the line nor the network that would cause these disconnections. The power levels and Modem SNR (signal to noise ratio) are within the correct range, which is good.

It may be worth creating a Broadband Quality Monitor as this will check the performance of the connection. If you do create a BQM you will need to disable the firewall within the router. 

I can imagine how frustrating this must be for you and I would like to help as much as I can to get this resolved.

Speak soon

Sam

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

miken1499
Tuning in
Message 5 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Hi Sam,

For some reason it has worked ok for the last 24 hours but since about 7 pm today I have so far had 3 disconnections, once it starts it usually gets worse over time. I setup a Broadband Quality Monitor and have attached the png files.

Regards,

21-22 of Jan.png22-1 to 23-1.png22-23 Jan.pngMike

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 6 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Evening miken1499,

Thanks for reply.

From looking at the BQM graph there is high latency and packet loss. As I am unable to see any faults that would cause this, I think it is best if we arrange for engineer to take a look at this for you.

I've sent you a PM (purple envelope icon, right corner) with some details for you to confirm please. Once you have replied I can go ahead with the appointment.

Speak soon

Sam

miken1499
Tuning in
Message 7 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Re: Update Persistant disconnections and 5th engineer visit by Principal engineer

Forum support sent round a 5th engineer, this time it was the Principal engineer for my area.
The engineer checked my router and the signal response in my cable and found no faults. He attributed my disconnections to my being in a high utilization area implying that their equipment/cabling could not cope with the demand, even at off peak times. He said that they were working on it and gave me a fix date of 26th of April 2017 but said I should be aware that this could change.
This is clearly very unsatisfactory, I am paying for a premium service which is not fit for purpose. It is not my problem that Virgin have chosen to take on more subscribers in my area than their equipment can cope with. They have not even had the honesty until now to admit to the problem.
I should not be paying £46 a month for a crippled service, granted I have been given a credit of £30 but this only takes us up until December 2016 and what I want is a reliable service.
I intend to follow this up with another credit claim and will write an appropriate letter of complaint to the various watchdogs and ombudsmen etc.

In the meantime I am going to drop back down to the 100mb service since there is no point in paying for a high speed service which does not work.

Attached is a BQM image of todays rubbish service, the longer sections where there are no disconnections are where I am not using the service or doing very little.

16-2-2017.png

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 8 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Re: Update Persistant disconnections and 5th engineer visit by Principal engineer

Hi there miken1499,

I appreciate you posting back here with an update of the engineer visit.

In regards to the fault you mentioned for high peak time traffic, this is not affecting the cable you are connected too and I'm sorry for the miss-information.

Are the speeds fine when you test through a wired connection?

Can you post an up to date BQM graph and the network log from the router settings please, for us to take a closer look at these disconnections?

Speak soon

Sam

Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 9 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Morning miken1499,

Thanks for getting back to me.

It's nice to hear that you have noticed an improvement with the connection after an engineer visit, which is good considering the other engineer visits.

Hopefully after the re-pull everything will be ok.

Keep monitoring the connection and if there are any further issues, by all means let me know.

Regards

Sam

miken1499
Tuning in
Message 10 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Hi Sam,

Many thanks, amazingly I have had no disconnections or any other issues since the engineer adjusted my 'signal strength', or whatever he did, even when I have heavily uploaded and downloaded. I only wish they could have done this months ago. Looking forward to the rewire and hopefully a back to normal

reliable connection Smiley Happy

MIke

0 Kudos