Menu
jafeldma
Joining in
Message 1 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Paying for what?

Hello. I have switched my broadband from 200mb to 50mb as it was too pricey. Since I'm on 50mb broadband every evening I have no connection or connection is so poor that is not been possible to use internet. All systems are fine, I've got new hub which works perfectly, all my computers and devices are new and are one of the best brand on market, latest software is installed everything is running absolutely fantastic but starting from 9pm every single day I've got no internet!!! I've got the exactly the same issue bit more than a year ago, then after certain investigation you've put me on the fastest broadband (at that time) with the price of cheap broadband plus some extra discount of £5. All discounts was for one year only, then goes to normal price.
I know exactly why it's happening, peak time, busy area, etc., and I know that there is not much you can do about it but from my point of view it's not my problem but it is yours and this have to be sorted. Just wondering why this problem does not appear when I was on expensive package?… As far as I'm aware I need only, quote” 11Mbs or more for 4K Streaming”.
And I'm not streaming 4k videos, HD only, I'm not the gamer ether. So if you are providing me with broadband I'm paying for there should be no issues at all! There was never be issues from my side, all bills are always payed in time and full amount.
I'm not really bothered on how you will sort this problem but I'm strongly believe that I do not wish to pay more than I'm currently paying and I would like to receive constantly 50mb as it's showing on my contract. Ok lets be fair 50mb to 30mb as some interruptions and loses may occur.

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Re: Paying for what?

UPTO 50mb
0 Kudos
Pruney
On our wavelength
Message 3 of 12
Flag for a moderator

It's hard to receive a constant speed but you also need to note you will be receiving 50Mb/s but only getting around 6.25MB/s at maximum. This is because it's not fibre to your house.

You need to take into note how many computers are on your network and devices and what time they are all on/being used. If your PC is the only thing on and it is still an issue, do a ping/speedtest and post the results. Also check in the resource monitor as to how much network usage there is.
0 Kudos
jafeldma
Joining in
Message 4 of 12
Flag for a moderator

so you saying if i have no internet it means I've got up to 50mb?

0 Kudos
Pruney
On our wavelength
Message 5 of 12
Flag for a moderator

If you have no internet at all, it means it's either an issue with Virgin, who you can ring and they can assess your line and see if it's an issue. Or it's an internal issue and you need to fix it.

Does your laptop/phone work on the wifi?
Does an ethernet connection work?

Is the computer showing an X on the network symbol or a yellow exclamation mark? Or is it just a picture of a computer?
0 Kudos
jafeldma
Joining in
Message 6 of 12
Flag for a moderator

50mb superfibre! if its not a fibre its means virginmedia is giving a false information

0 Kudos
Pruney
On our wavelength
Message 7 of 12
Flag for a moderator

They aren't giving false information, you just don't know the lingo and haven't read up on it. They say fibre up to the box. There will be an exchange box where the fibre will go to and then it will be copper wire up to your house, that's where the speed slows down.
0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 8 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Its FTTN (Fiber To The Node) then Coax to distributions cabs and then onto your home. The Coax part will not slow things down. 

Now let me see what I could pull down my single cable. 3X 200Mb lines and a 100Mb Business line via one single Coax cable into my home. Total of 700Mb.

So 50Mb is a piece of cake for a DOCSIS Coax connection.

200Mb(SH2 SH2AC Hub 3.0), 2 X V6 TV XL, Phone M. 100Mb Business (Hitron Hub).
0 Kudos
jafeldma
Joining in
Message 9 of 12
Flag for a moderator

you not "listening" what I'm saying. Im not really bothered of boxes, cables and stuff like that! This part is not my business, I'm worried of not receiving what I paying for. What i see when i opening my acc? super fibre 50mb, written with absolutely huge print. what i receiving in end of the day? absolutely crap! this is not bit fear. from my side I'm not saying that ill be paying up to 50 quid for you service and for some personal reasons in end of the month paying just a penny. is that make sense? 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Superuser
Superuser
Message 10 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Its not My service. I have nothing to do with Virgin Media apart from being a customer just like you. 

My post was to correct another poster to the fact that the coax part of the network will not slow down speeds.

Your issues as you have mentioned is Over utilisation in your area and this can and does take time to fix as in most cases VM will have to get the local authorities permission to dig up roads to lay extra fibre lines. If it's as bad as you say then this will more then likely end up being Cat C Resegmentation and that takes a long time to happen.

If for some reason your modem is dropping its connection to the DOCSIS network then there is something else wrong as over utilisation will only slow your speeds but it will not disconnect you.

EDIT: Set up a TBB BQM http://www.thinkbroadband.com and post the live graph link back here.
Also some speed tests via http://www.speedtest.net 

200Mb(SH2 SH2AC Hub 3.0), 2 X V6 TV XL, Phone M. 100Mb Business (Hitron Hub).
0 Kudos