Menu
Philmcfc
Tuning in
Message 1 of 21
Flag for a moderator

Old VM SSID still active? How does that work?

Afternoon

When I first joined VM, 5 years ago, I was given the Hub 1.0 and a new SSID which all connected fine. Then I was given an upgrade to the Hub 2.0  and two new SSIDs (2.4 and 5) and the old Hub 1.0 was turned off and put in a box.

However, as well as the two new SSIDs the old one remained and I could still connect to it and it was in fact usually a better connection and faster than the new ones. Then it stopped working recently. I could connect to the wifi SSID but had no internet.

Then I had the Hub 3.0 and yet another new SSID which all connected fine (just not very fast). Now I have the Hub 3.0 in modem mode with a Netgear R7000 router connected to it, providing a new Netgear SSID. All the Hub 2.0 and Hub 3.0 VM SSIDs have disappeared except the old original Hub 1.0 SSID is back and has a much stronger signal than the Netgear router and I can connect to it too!

How does that work then? Just as I thought I understood the set up internet, wifi and router in my house, this happens. Thanks in advance.

Phil

0 Kudos
stevedh2
Knows their stuff
Message 2 of 21
Flag for a moderator

Re: Old VM SSID still active? How does that work?

Ooohhh ghost hub....

Any chance you have a neighbour with that ssid, although without the correct wifi password you wouldn't be able to connect..

And I assume you don't still have the hub 1 lying around plugged in somewhere..

Weird....

0 Kudos
Philmcfc
Tuning in
Message 3 of 21
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for the reply

No, it's the same old SSID and the same original password from 5 years ago!

Weird yes. Perhaps this ghost hub is the reason the wifi in my house is so rubbish, even with a new super duper router?

Wired to the router I get over 200 Mbps. Stood right next to the router with the device pretty much touching the antenna I get 40/50 Mbps on good day with an easterly wind. In any other room down to 20/30 Mbps.

0 Kudos
Philmcfc
Tuning in
Message 4 of 21
Flag for a moderator

...oh and the router was unplugged and put back in it's box years ago when I went to the Hub 2.0.  The SSID always remained though

I still have the Hub 1.0 and Hub 2.0 in their boxes. I'm a Hub hoarder

0 Kudos
stevedh2
Knows their stuff
Message 5 of 21
Flag for a moderator

get a wifi scanner app for your phone as that seems to show a larger variation of signal strength.. then wonder around to find where the signal strength is the strongest and see if you can locate the source of this ssid?

Bit tedious as you'll have to wait a few seconds every time you move for strengths to stabilise.

0 Kudos
teabag
Problem sorter
Message 6 of 21
Flag for a moderator

lol. Have you tried something like "WiFi Analyser" on a phone and wandering around to check signal strength/source of the SSID, also check ceiling/floor if you live in a flat :-)
---------------------------------------------------------------
BB 200 - Hub 3, Phone Talk w/ends, Mobile Sim only £9 and £5 big bundle sim. Customer since 1993.
0 Kudos
stevedh2
Knows their stuff
Message 7 of 21
Flag for a moderator

Thats what I just said Smiley Happy

Philmcfc
Tuning in
Message 8 of 21
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for the replies, but any suggestion for best wifi analysis app? Seems to be loads available and most with poor reviews

0 Kudos
paulmarie
Tuning in
Message 9 of 21
Flag for a moderator

Similiar ghost SSID too, I have super hub 2, renamed it & been using that for ages, then had problems the other week, (which I'm still waiting on an answer as it not resolved!) Any way, hub reset back to default so back to original SSID then renamed different name to before & some internet connection but still dropping however I can still see SSID name that I first gave but cant connect to it! But thats why we had to reset as we stopped being able to connect Smiley Frustrated

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 10 of 21
Flag for a moderator

What device(s) are you "seeing" the old SSID with. Try forgetting or deleting the network on the device, as it looks like the old network is still stored on your device(s)

If the old SH1 is switched off then it will not be broadcasting it's SSID, which is not "given" to you but is what you set it up as in the hub's wireless settings. The only way you will see the old SSID is if someone else has got an active network with the same SSID, "Mynetwork" and "My2.4Ghz" are quite popular.

InSSIDer and WiFi Analyser for Android are fairly good. (I use InSSIDer myself)

0 Kudos