Menu
peterberg
Tuning in
Message 1 of 3
Flag for a moderator

Numerous problems after latest firmware update

About a week ago our SH3 recieved a firmware 'update' - you know , the sort that completely 'bricks' the device in Virgin's time-honoured fashion.  Much functionality and connectivity to our devices went out of the window (including not being able to logon to the web interface) which no amount of rebooting cured, and following the 'advice' of the support desk, we eneded up resetting it back to factory defaults. This gave us back control, but lost all our configuration info including mac filter list. For some reason we couldn't find the saved config so had to rebuild from sratch.  However, since doing that there have been a number of issues, the most irritating of which is that with wireless  MAC  filtering 'on',  most of our 5Ghz devices refuse to connect. They WILL connect at 2.4GHz with filtering 'on' and WILL connect at 5Ghz with filtering 'off'.  On our early SH we could only have either 2.4Ghz OR 5Ghz enabled, but at least you could get 300 mbs out of 2.4Ghz because it would bond 2 channels.  SH3  gives both 2.4 and 5  Ghz simulatneously but only allows one channel at 2.4 Ghz giving a maximum of 130 mbs. This doesn't matter for many 2.4 Ghz devices because they can't handle more than that anyway,  but we have one older laptop with a NIC that can talk  a/b/g/n and would happily connect at 300 mbs on 2.4 Ghz on the old SH and 300 mbs at 5 Ghz on the SH3 prior to the 'update'.  Now only 130 mbs on 2.4 Ghz if filtering is on.  Bloody irritating.  The SH3 is a piece of total crap and each update makes it worse. Apparently its an ARRIS product (which I seem to recall is cockney rhyming slang for something approriate).  Previous Sh's have been Netgear which were far better even if Virgin always insisietd on putting on firmware which slugged the devices native potential;.  AT this rate its back to Modem Mode and buying a 3rd party device but why shouls we have to?  Is virgin going to reduce my bill to pay for that because their equipment is such crap??  Doubt it.  Any thoughts gratefully accepted.

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 2 of 3
Flag for a moderator

Re: Numerous problems after latest firmware update

Hey peterberg,

Thanks for your post Smiley Happy

I completely understand what you're saying, it is frustrating and I'll ensure your feedback his heard.

How are you getting on in Modem Mode?

Let me know if I can help with anything,

Take care.

Heather_J

Tech fan? Have you read our Digital life blog yet? Check it out

0 Kudos
peterberg
Tuning in
Message 3 of 3
Flag for a moderator

Re: Numerous problems after latest firmware update

Against my better judgement we are running without MAC filtering. Sadly we also have to run with SSID visible or again some devices won't connect. Another thing that worked fine with early SH. Not the time of year to be buying an extensive 3rd party device. Maybe in new year sales.
0 Kudos