Menu
GraemeHH
Tuning in
Message 1 of 9
Flag for a moderator

No internet on laptop

Up until a few days ago laptop connection was fine. Now, although it connects to the hub it says no internet when I click on the connection.

I've tried connecting using Ethernet cable and get same issue.

I'm using windows 10 and as far as I know there have been no changes to the laptop.

I have an older laptop on windows 7 which connects fine.

0 Kudos

Helpful Answers
tweetiepooh
Up to speed
Message 8 of 9
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: No internet on laptop

My stock answer.

Can you get a live Linux distribution, one that runs from CD/DVD/USB stick rather than installs?  Some of these are very small, few megabytes.  Boot this up and see if you get IP/internet.  If so this indicates issue in Windows, if not then maybe hardware issue either on laptop or router or cable.  One other possibility is some config on the router controlling devices that can connect, or maybe the router has "run out" of IP's it can use (unlikely) but does a router reboot sort things out?

If you do what you've always done, you'll get what you've always got. Jim Elliot

I work for Virgin Media but respond here on an individual basis. No comment or assistance offered is done in any official capacity.

All Replies
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 9
Flag for a moderator

hiya @GraemeHH on the laptop if you do windows key + r type in cmd <enter> type in ipconfig /all what is the IP address/default gateway showing as?

----------------------------------------------------------
If someone's helped you out say thanks by clicking on the thumbs up. If someone's solved your problem, why not mark their message as an Accepted Solution
GraemeHH
Tuning in
Message 3 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Hi,

Under Ethernet adapter Ethernet

Autoconfig IPv4 is 169.254.105.56 (preferred)

Default gateway is blank.

Under Wireless Lan Adapter Wi-Fi

Autoconfig IPv4 is 169.254.188.148 (preferred)

Default gateway is also blank.

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 4 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Check the adapters' settings on the laptop are set to obtain IP address automatically and the same with DNS addresss

GraemeHH
Tuning in
Message 5 of 9
Flag for a moderator

@griffin, cheers, yep, did that as per VM how to guide and all as it should be.

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 6 of 9
Flag for a moderator

when you go into network and sharing, manage network connections.. and right click on your connection and diagnose connection
----------------------------------------------------------
If someone's helped you out say thanks by clicking on the thumbs up. If someone's solved your problem, why not mark their message as an Accepted Solution
0 Kudos
GraemeHH
Tuning in
Message 7 of 9
Flag for a moderator

paultechy wrote:
when you go into network and sharing, manage network connections.. and right click on your connection and diagnose connection

Ran Windows network diagnostics and after it said resetting adapter for both Wi-Fi & Ethernet during its diagnostic run through, the results say:

Ethernet doesn't have a valid IP configuration - Not fixed

Wi-Fi doesn't have a valid IP configuration - Not fixed

0 Kudos
tweetiepooh
Up to speed
Message 8 of 9
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

My stock answer.

Can you get a live Linux distribution, one that runs from CD/DVD/USB stick rather than installs?  Some of these are very small, few megabytes.  Boot this up and see if you get IP/internet.  If so this indicates issue in Windows, if not then maybe hardware issue either on laptop or router or cable.  One other possibility is some config on the router controlling devices that can connect, or maybe the router has "run out" of IP's it can use (unlikely) but does a router reboot sort things out?

If you do what you've always done, you'll get what you've always got. Jim Elliot

I work for Virgin Media but respond here on an individual basis. No comment or assistance offered is done in any official capacity.
GraemeHH
Tuning in
Message 9 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Got a Linux 64bit disc from a guy at work and tried several times to get ASUS to boot from DVD rom, couldn't get into bios to change boot order.

Anyway, for whatever reason, and I know not what, it now has internet connection both on Ethernet & Wi-Fi.

At least I have a Linux disc in case I have future problems.

Thank you for the replies people.

0 Kudos