Menu
lightjohn
Joining in
Message 1 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Newcomer here and quite disapointed

Hello,

I just got the fiber last friday and after a 3 days I can say that I was not expecting that.
My two main problems are:

• I got micro Ethernet disconnection every 5 min in router mode so I change to modem mode and now it's ok but it's not really a long term solution.
  • The speed is far from the 50Mb I'm paying for, most of the time it depend of what I'm doing:
    • Steam:  ~50Mb
    • Youtube: ~10Mb
    • Personal server:  ~2Mb (it's a 200Mb connection)

So as you can see my router is not working well and my speed is not what it should be.
Do you have any suggestion ?

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 2 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Re: Newcomer here and quite disapointed

Hi lightjohn, 

Welocme to the forums, I am sorry to see you have been having trouble with your connection. 

I have taken a look and I can see that there seems to be a little bit of a slow speed issue in your area during peak times. 

I have popped the details across to networks to investigate further and let you know as soon as I know more. 

Is it only during peak times you find you have trouble? 

Keep me posted. 

Emma

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

0 Kudos
lightjohn
Joining in
Message 3 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Hi Emma,

Thanks for the answer. Yesterday was a good example: I'm a developer and I tried to get some code from Github and the speed was 50kB/s, I tried this morning: 2MB/s.

So I would say it mostly happen during peak times.

Good luck,

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 4 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Hello lightjohn

Thank you for your patience, Emma is off at the moment so thought I would update you. The area high peak time traffic problem reference is F004813378 and we would like to carry out some upgrade work, the review date for that is currently showing March 2017. If you would be so kind as to wait a few days one of the forum team will be in contact to discuss further.

Thank you again for your patience

Nicola

Virgin Media Forum Team
0 Kudos
lightjohn
Joining in
Message 5 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Hi, 

A technician went and change my router that made my life a bit easier: I am now able to use my router.

But my bandwidth is still low and now I get some short disconnection one or two times in the evening (and nothing in the logs of the router).

Do you have some more information?

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 6 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Hi lightjohn, 

Thanks for getting back in touch, I am sorry to see you have continued to have trouble with your connection. 

I have taken a look and unfortunately we do not yet have any news on fault ref F004813378 for slow speeds  at peak times. We should have more information after 01/03/2017. I can see that the team who deals with this type of issue has contacted you. As soon as they have more information they will let you know. 

Is it mostly during peak time hours you are finding the connection is slower/disconnecting? 

Keep me posted. 

Emma

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

0 Kudos
lightjohn
Joining in
Message 7 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Indeed at the worst time of the day for an internet provider: 8-10pm
0 Kudos
lightjohn
Joining in
Message 8 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Just to give an update the bandwitch problem is solved so this is a good point.

But I still have these microcuts where I don't have internet anymore for 10sec and so for most usage it not so bad but for gaming, it means losing everything...

Would it be possible to try to also solve this problem? It can happen one or two times in the evening or not but I would say at least once every 3 days.

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 9 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Hello lightjohn,

Thanks for getting back to us Smiley Happy

Good to hear that you've noticed an improvement. When I've run tests, your upstream power levels are high, so I'd like to get an engineer out to visit you if you don't mind.

I'll drop you a PM (purple envelope, top right) to book you in.

Speak soon,

Take care.

Heather_J

Tech fan? Have you read our Digital life blog yet? Check it out

0 Kudos