Menu
Cepen
Joining in
Message 1 of 11
Flag for a moderator

(New to Virgin this month) Super hub 3.0 and modem mode

Hi, Community Members

As a recent Virgin customer I am hoping that somebody can help me with my first post. I apologies however if its in the wrong place.

I have just had a gamer broadband package installed after Virgin cabled up my estate with new fibre broadband in September 2016 (it went live in January 2017). I love the speed boost over BT Infinity, and it has worked without issue for a week now.

However, I want to run more than one Xbox so I would like to put the Super hub 3.0 into modem mode and connect an ASUS AC-RT68U up to it. This router has served me well for over a year as a replacement for a BT home hub and can run more than one xbox with an open NAT.

I have looked on the forums about doing this and read about port flapping problems, which were reported widely throughout 2016, although a fix has now been issued it would seem. My hub is running firmware version 116v, which I believe is the most recent and the so say fix for port flapping. Also, it would appear to me (based on what I have found on the forum) that after looking up the CMTS mac address that I am not actually connected to an ARRIS CMTS (see below).

OUI

Company Name

XEROX CORPORATION

My questions are:

Can anyone confirm that the port flapping issue is now fixed?

Will the router I want to use be compatible with a hub 3.0 running in modem mode? 

0 Kudos

Helpful Answers
Adduxi
Knows their stuff
Message 4 of 11
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: (New to Virgin this month) Super hub 3.0 and modem mode

You will not need a password to register a VM Hub online, it's different to BT.

Put the Hub into Modem Mode. The only LAN port active when in Modem Mode is the one nearest the VM cable, i.e. the bottom one.

After this is done, connect your Router WAN cable to the Hub port as above. Log onto the Asus and setup as needed.

The Hub3 IP in Router Mode is 192.168.0.1 and in Modem Mode it is 192.168.100.1 

All Replies
Adduxi
Knows their stuff
Message 2 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Port flapping issue is fixed. Your Asus modem will be fine. I would suggest installing Merlin Firmware on it. https://asuswrt.lostrealm.ca/

0 Kudos
Cepen
Joining in
Message 3 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Thank you very much for your quick reply.

Can I ask a few other questions!

The general steps I intend following are: 

1. Reset ASUS router to factory default. 
  2. Update router firmware as you suggested. 
  3. Connect to hub via Etherent cable and set hub 3 into modem mode. 
  4. Connect LAN port 1 of hub to WAN port of ASUS router. 
  5. Power on router and connect to it via ethernet from laptop to login and follow quick set wizard to get online. 
  6. Once online fine tune router as I please.

Do I need an internet password from Virgin to put into router so it establishes an internet connection?

Any thing I have missed?

Many thanks in advance.

0 Kudos
Adduxi
Knows their stuff
Message 4 of 11
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

You will not need a password to register a VM Hub online, it's different to BT.

Put the Hub into Modem Mode. The only LAN port active when in Modem Mode is the one nearest the VM cable, i.e. the bottom one.

After this is done, connect your Router WAN cable to the Hub port as above. Log onto the Asus and setup as needed.

The Hub3 IP in Router Mode is 192.168.0.1 and in Modem Mode it is 192.168.100.1 

Cepen
Joining in
Message 5 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Thank you for your help. I set it up today and it works fine so far.

0 Kudos
bigfatron
Tuning in
Message 6 of 11
Flag for a moderator

I have the non-modem equipped version of your router and can confirm it works absolutely fine with the Superhub 3.

0 Kudos
Cepen
Joining in
Message 7 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Cheers for that. I set mine up today and it's working fine so far.
0 Kudos
mickyjim
Joining in
Message 8 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Hi Folks

Glad i found this thread i am having Vivid 200 gamer installed next week and will be requiring a few functions that the SH3 doesn't support. I intend purchasing a Netgear R6250 can anyone suggest a similar priced alternative ( £75 Maplins ) that supports dynamic dns and port forwarding.

0 Kudos
bigfatron
Tuning in
Message 9 of 11
Flag for a moderator

mickyjim wrote:

Hi Folks

Glad i found this thread i am having Vivid 200 gamer installed next week and will be requiring a few functions that the SH3 doesn't support. I intend purchasing a Netgear R6250 can anyone suggest a similar priced alternative ( £75 Maplins ) that supports dynamic dns and port forwarding.

A pity you weren't shopping around a little earlier as PC World were knocking out the Asus RT-AC68U for about £89 at the time (I bought one through Maplin on pricematch as the local PC World was out of stock at the time).

0 Kudos
mickyjim
Joining in
Message 10 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for that info i forgot about Maplins price match policy. Smiley Happy

0 Kudos