Menu
Altissimus
Tuning in
Message 1 of 8
Flag for a moderator

New SuperHub 3 causing massive wifi lag spikes

Hi,

Recently been supplied with SuperHub 3 following problems with my SuperHub 2...!!!

24-48 hours into using it, and I am conscious of massive lag spikes.  At first I thought it was the online game I was playing, but then it was apparent that sometimes pages would load in a blink and other times nothing would happen.  I started running tests on the router, and they would all come back green - but then I noticed that even logging into the router page took surprisingly long!

I ran some ping tests to 192.168.0.1.  On my old Router I would get a very consistent 2-3ms result for every ping.

The last few ping tests on this results have given me the following pings, in order:

107, 5, 148, 7, 4, 15, 7 ,13, 4, 12, 4, 8, 10, 4, 104, 105, 6, 5, 7, 120, 126, 5....

This is just sets of pings from CMD line pinging the router.  How can it vary by so much?!

Gone back to tethering to my iphone....How do I sort this?  I will put my old Router back in at this rate and go back to running at 2G.

A.

0 Kudos
Altissimus
Tuning in
Message 2 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Re: New SuperHub 3 causing massive wifi lag spikes

2016-12-03 (2).png

0 Kudos
bambamboyo
Up to speed
Message 3 of 8
Flag for a moderator

0 Kudos
Altissimus
Tuning in
Message 4 of 8
Flag for a moderator

So basically what you're telling me is that there's been a known and very serious service-limiting problem on the SH3 for over a year, and a) it's still not fixed and b) THEY ARE STILL SHIPPING THIS THING??!!?

This router is useless to me. My requirement from needing decent bandwidth is for online gaming, and this router actively prevents that.

@VirginMedia this is really poor. Really, really poor.
bambamboyo
Up to speed
Message 5 of 8
Flag for a moderator

We need an official response from Virgin Media as to when we can expect a firmware release to fix this?

0 Kudos
Finalboss86
Tuning in
Message 6 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Pinging your router should return results as 1ms not 2-3ms. It's the puma chipset.
0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 7 of 8
Flag for a moderator

What is the latency like when you are connected directly to the hub by ethernet cable? This will give you a better idea on how bad the Puma 6 latency issue is affecting you. BTW this is an Intel problem, so don't expect a quick fix as VM will have to test the patch and incorporate it into their bespoke firmware. VM are not reknown for speedy firmware patches.

You will need to test wired to determine a latency baseline of your connection so you can determine how much latency is being caused by the wireless side.

It is pointless testing latency wireless as wireless is affected by a myriad of external factors like interference, transmission back offs, range, the topography of your home to make it a stable medium suitable for online gaming. The Puma 6 chipset issue will also compound your issues.

You could get a better picture of the latency of your connection (Hub to Internet) by starting a Broadband Quality Monitor here.

0 Kudos
Bramwelt
Tuning in
Message 8 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Hi there

same problems and more, the superhub3 is about as much use as a chocolate fire guard. 

Youll like this I made an official complaint about the awful wifi on the vsh3 and was told no engineer would be sent as virgin only guarantee a broadband connection, not wifi signal. Open mouths all round on that bombshell.

I got that hacked off I bought a mid range router half price on amazon, put the not so super superhub in modem mode and have had no problems since150mb on 5ghz 70mbon 2.4ghz and over 200 on wired. I'm on a 200mb deal.

Should you do the same, up to you but if you want decent wifi it's worth a try or borrow a router and try it. I got a small refund from virgin for the router

is this ideal no, did it work yes, am I a happy customer no, do virgin care no

0 Kudos