Menu
Walters21050
Joining in
Message 1 of 4
Flag for a moderator

New Laptop + Windows 10 = Wifi Connection PROBLEMS!

Please help! I am about to throw all technology into the garden & burn the lot!

I bought my son a laptop last week (Lenovo Ideapad 100S) which came with Windows 10 installed. Ever since we've had it, I've had a nightmare trying to get connected to the internet each time we restart it.

I have googled everything, tried CMD's suggested by VM, manually inputted the SSID and password, deleted the wifi network and reconnected, restarted and rebooted, turned of Wifi Sense and sharing options as suggested and nothing has worked. I am still having to spend at least 20 mins attempting to connect each time we switch it back on. The only positive is it seems stable once you have actually connected.

The wifi network is detected when switched on but initially started off asking for a USERNAME and password. Then it decided it didn't want that, it needed a network key. Then having connected, it then decided that some of the settings had changed and requested the key/password again which was then apparently incorrect and it's latest is just failing to connect resulting in me completely rebooting both the Hub and the laptop.

All my other devices recognise and connect automatically (tablets/phones/old laptop/games consoles).

I just want him to turn on the laptop and it connect automatically. Has anyone experienced this and can suggest anything else to try? I called VM this evening who tried to fob me off with "there's a fault reported in your area with the wifi", until I pointed out that all my other devices work fine and with no issue.

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 2 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Re: New Laptop + Windows 10 = Wifi Connection PROBLEMS!

Hey Walters21050,

Thanks for joining the community, great to have you on board.

Sorry to hear about the trouble you're having with your new laptop, it sounds like you've tried a lot of things to get this up and running.

One thing I thought of was to check if your Ethernet connect is working, if you don't have a cable let me know. Additionally, you might need to look into updating or rolling back your wireless drivers. If you search for this on the Microsoft website, it'll explain more.

Hope to hear back from you soon,

Take care.

Heather_J

Tech fan? Have you read our Digital life blog yet? Check it out

0 Kudos
Andy1975
Fibre optic
Message 3 of 4
Flag for a moderator

My honest opinion is the laptop is a bag of ****, atom 1.3ghz CPU running windows 10 is just horror movie material.

Just try this.. turn laptop on and dont touch it for 20 min and then check the connection after that... There are a number of processes in the background it has to perform before actually connecting to the internet and my bet is the crock cannot handle it in a timely manner.

0 Kudos
Walters21050
Joining in
Message 4 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Thank you both for you responses.

So, went over to the in laws last week with said laptop (Andy, admittedly its cheap but should do the job) and it recognised and connected to their Superhub 2 straight away. Turned it off and back on, connected immediately again. No issues.

Returned home, and had 24 hours of uninterrupted service then lost wifi connection again and had to go through same rigamorol to get it connected. Once connected, I logged into the superhub and factory reset it thinking it must be wifi settings. Again, worked perelfectly for at least 24 hours and then suddenly back to square one of asking for username, then not recognising the correct network key, then unable to connect to network again then I switched off Hub and turned back on for it to connect straight away!?

I'm thinking it's virgin Hub that's the issue as it connects at inlaws without any problems!? Same virgin Hub etc.
0 Kudos