Menu
davep28
Joining in
Message 1 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Network switch problems

I have recently been upgraded to a SuperHub 3.0, and besides some intermittent connectivity issues, have also been having some networking problems inside the house. I have today managed to prove that all three network switches connected to the SH3 router have stopped working, so all wired devices connected through those switches (PCs, TV, BlueRay player, Sonos, XBox One etc) have all stopped seeing the outside world. 

All three of these switches have been in place for some years and worked well over that time, but all three seemed to have broken just at the same time the SH3 was installed - and this can't be a coincidence. 

All three switches still have power, and still show lights, but testing the cable going into them shows that the input signal is fine, but I can't get a wired connection coming out of any of the switches. So it seems like a port may have blown due to power issues, but swapping the cables among different sockets on the switch doesn't seem to help either.

Has anyone else seen anything like this before ? Are there any odd settings in the SH3 that could be interfering with the normal working of a switch ? Looks like I'm going to have to replace them all, but am not happy having to do so if I don't know what caused them all to break in the first place.

Thanks for any input !

0 Kudos
Tudor
Well-informed
Message 2 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Re: Network switch problems

I take it that you are using 3 port on the Hun3 going to 3 switches. If you wire the switches together so Sw1 -> goes to Sw2 -> Sw3 can a device on Sw1 see and communicate with a device on Sw3? The by swapping Sw1 and Sw3 places in the chain, try the test again. This will prove if the switches are working and the onus is then on the Hub3.

There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't
0 Kudos
davep28
Joining in
Message 3 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for the reply - looks like there was a fault with the ports on the SH3, so the router has been replaced. Too early to declare victory just yet given the Virgin infrastructure issues today clouding the issue, but I can now see devices that are attached to the switches, which is a step forward !

0 Kudos
NethausAV
Joining in
Message 4 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Hello

Did the router swap out fix this issue for you?

I'm experiencing similar trouble.
0 Kudos
davep28
Joining in
Message 5 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Yes it did, though there were also some changes made at the exchange end over a similar period to address some outside-world connectivity problems that were happening at the same time. I think the router swap was correlated with resolving this particular issue - though to be honest I have put another switch in front of the Virgin SH3, so that now there is only one lead going into the SH3. This seems to be working well, but I have not confirmed that putting it all back, with the original three switches leading into the SH3 would still work just as well. It's been working well for a couple of weeks now, so I'm a bit reluctant to start fiddling with it all again !

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 6 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Hi NethausAV,

Thanks for joining in!

Are you experiencing issues with your Hub 3.0?

Look forward to hearing from you! Smiley Very Happy

Josh

Tech fan? Have you read our Digital life blog yet? Check it out

0 Kudos