Menu
Dawn
Joining in
Message 1 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Network/Wireless issues - keep disconnecting from Games on XBOX one

We have 2 XBOX one's in our household. Both are in the upstairs bedrooms and the router is in the lounge downstairs. This has been the situation for over 12 months and we have had no issues with playing games online via XBOX live during this period.

Since 06/01/17 both consoles have kept disconnecting from games. After a few minutes of play, the consoles will disconnect and then reconnect again. I spent hours searching the internet for possible solutions. I did a test on our virgin media services which tested the internet and came back with no problems. I did tests on the network and multiplayer connections on the xbox consoles which again came back with no issues. The detailed network statistics on the consoles appeared to be above the minimum requirements.  We spoke with friends who were also playing XBOX to check their settings and they were in line with ours and they were having no issues .I did notice that the NAT settings were strict so I followed some instructions on the internet and managed to get the NAT open but it still did not stop the disconnections.  I disconnected headsets in case they were causing interference, I raised the router a little bit more to try and improve signals. I swapped between 2g and 5g connections.  None of this worked so we contacted Virgin Media last week who checked the router and said there were some streaming issues . They did some adjustments but when we tried to play the XBOX we were still disconnecting . I did notice that the NAT kept fluctuating between open and strict. I contacted Virgin media again the following day. They asked about the NAT and they talked me through opening 7 ports via the superhub 2ac which xbox requires open in order to work efficiently. They also got me to change some firewall settings .  I hoped it was then resolved , however when we tried to play it still kept disconnecting. I then contacted XBOX support who asked for pictures of the detailed network settings for each console. I emailed them the pictures and they said the wireless connection looked  a little low and could we try a wired connection. The only way I could do this was to move the consoles downstairs by the router. Before I tried a wired connection I tried the consoles again as the wireless signal was then over 90% and both consoles worked without disconnections for the majority of the day,  even though the NAT was still fluctuating between open and strict. The following day I moved one of the consoles back upstairs and it worked for that day but then the day after we started getting the same problems.

As the consoles worked when I moved them nearer the router this must be a problem with the Virgin Media connections/speed but I am now at a loss as to how I get this resolved . We have 100mb broadband and they have worked ok for the last 12 months upstairs. Not sure why we are having problem when people in the same area are playing ok.

It appears that people up and down the country are having issues so does not appear to be isolated to one particular area.   Any advice or  help would be appreciated.

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 2 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Re: Network/Wireless issues - keep disconnecting from Games on XBOX one

Hi Dawn, 

Thanks for getting in touch, I am sorry to see you have had trouble with Xbox live using the Superhub 2 AC. We have been working on an issue regarding this. 

Please reboot your Super hub 2ac from the mains.

When the hub reboots it will download a new update which should resolve your issue.

This update could take up to 15 minutes to complete.

More information can be found here: http://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Gaming-Support/Superhub-2ac-Firmware/m-p/3321617

Let me know how you get on. 

All the best

Emma

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

0 Kudos
Dawn
Joining in
Message 3 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Hi Emma

Thank you for your message. We are still having issues with XBOX one connectivity , after the Firmware update. Still losing connection when we move the consoles away from the Router.

Kind Regards

Dawn

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 4 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Hi Dawn,

Thanks for getting back in touch, I am sorry to see you have continued to have trouble. 

I have taken a look and the firmware update has gone through but your downstream power levels are a little on the low side which may be part of the reason you are seeing this issue. 

I will pop you a PM so we can organise an engineer. Keep an eye out for the Purple Envelope, top right hand corner. 

Speak to you soon. 

Emma

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

0 Kudos