Menu
Farhana
Superfast
Message 1 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Netgear X8 + Modem mode

I have my Netgear x8 hooked up to the VM Superhub 3 in modem mode.

It creates two SSID's (a 2.4 ghz and 5 ghz) 

The 5 ghz band does achieve around 220 mb speed wireless connections while the 2.4 ghz only allows around 60 mb to 100 mb. The bands are not capped in the Netgear settings so that's not the problem. 

I can't seem to identify the problem and any help would be much appreciated. Smiley Happy

EDIT: This is a problem because some devices (like a few year old gaming laptop) doesn't have 5 ghz capability and doesn't have an ethernet port either.

Why they sold a gaming laptop without an ethernet port? No idea.

0 Kudos

Helpful Answers
Guybrush85
Fibre optic
Message 7 of 9
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Netgear X8 + Modem mode

Yeah, if you turned it off you will get better speeds (in theory).

The issue is that 40mhz uses a lot of the bands in the range, so neighbours etc start to become and issue. Usually routers do a check what's out there and pick a band as to not interfere with each other.

5Ghz on the other hand, the banding in that is in such a way that there's a lot less interference.

Honestly to have such a beast of a router, it deserves something to make use of it. I haze the X4's and whilst I only have 1 device that connects to 2.4Ghz, the rest are on 5 and the range on the thing covers my whole house!
--------------------------------------------------------
Look behind you, a three-headed monkey

All Replies
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 9
Flag for a moderator

What exactly is the problem you're having? Also can confirm:

1. What broadband speed are you on?
2. What wireless hardware is in the devices you're connecting to the Netgear X8?

In regards to the gaming laptop, most of them expect you to have a USB or Thunderbolt to Ethernet adapter if you want a wired connection.
I work for Virgin Media - but all opinions posted here are my own
0 Kudos
Guybrush85
Fibre optic
Message 3 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Is the 20/40Mhz coexistence bit turned off in the Netgear? If not, then you're never going to get near the 5Ghz speeds. Honestly, you're better getting yourself a USB AC adapter in the laptop and using the 5Ghz range. If you turn of the feature I mentioned you may make things worse for youself and your neighbours.

0 Kudos
Farhana
Superfast
Message 4 of 9
Flag for a moderator

@BenMcr

I don't know if it's a problem or not. The speed of the 2.4 ghz and 5 ghz bands differ by quite a margin (over/around 100 mbps)

It's a gaming laptop and a few old mobiles phones. 

I'm on the Vivid 200 gamer package and I get 220 mb on the 5 ghz band.

EDIT: To clarify, I've tested the 2.4 ghz band with 5 ghz devices and the speeds are the same.  

0 Kudos
Farhana
Superfast
Message 5 of 9
Flag for a moderator

@Butler85

I'm not sure where to find the 20/40Mhz coexistence option but I'll look around. 

I guess an adapter would be a logical investment to make. 

Also here is a screenshot of the 2.4 ghz settings.

http://prntscr.com/enkjdd 

It's set to 1000 Mbps.

UPDATE: I've found the 20/40Mhz coexistence and yes, it was turned on.

Shall I turn it off?

0 Kudos
Farhana
Superfast
Message 6 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Just an update, I did two tests on the same device. (iPhone 6S Plus)

Around 200 mbps download and 21 mbs upload on the 5 ghz.

Around 53 mbps download and 18 mbps upload on the 2.4 ghz.

0 Kudos
Guybrush85
Fibre optic
Message 7 of 9
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Yeah, if you turned it off you will get better speeds (in theory).

The issue is that 40mhz uses a lot of the bands in the range, so neighbours etc start to become and issue. Usually routers do a check what's out there and pick a band as to not interfere with each other.

5Ghz on the other hand, the banding in that is in such a way that there's a lot less interference.

Honestly to have such a beast of a router, it deserves something to make use of it. I haze the X4's and whilst I only have 1 device that connects to 2.4Ghz, the rest are on 5 and the range on the thing covers my whole house!
Superuser
Superuser
Message 8 of 9
Flag for a moderator

AFAIK Apple products do not support the 40Mhz channel width on the 2.4Ghz due to the narrowness of the band as mentioned above. So, speeds will be limited to 72Mbps Link speed per wireless stream. 50Mbps actual speed would be an excellent speed on a single Wireless Stream.

Wireless is a two way street, with performance mainly depending on the weakest link, so you will not get the speed benefits of a top of the range router that can support 4 Wireless Streams and 1024 QAM  modulation if your wireless client can only one wireless stream and 64 QAM modulation for example.

Farhana
Superfast
Message 9 of 9
Flag for a moderator

What device would you advise for me to test the 2.4 ghz speed on?
0 Kudos