Menu
lenny81
Dialled in
Message 1 of 107
Flag for a moderator

Netflix buffer getting stuck at 25%

I am experiencing an issue across multiple devices, started on my smart TV Netflix app about a month ago and now does the same thing on my ps4 and all Android devices where you go to load a video and it gets up to 25% then just freezes until you get a message about not having an Internet connection. The same thing even happens straight after watching something and it tries to automatically play the next episode. I read somewhere is to do with DNS. I've checked the bandwidth at the time of the issue and there has always been enough. This never used to happen even when the bandwidth has been terrible so it's got to be something else. Also it makes no difference whether the devices are connected via ethernet or wireless.
Tags (1)
0 Kudos

Helpful Answers
cybmole
Community elder
Message 17 of 107
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Netflix buffer getting stuck at 25%

what make of smart tv ? with some e.g. my Samsung, you have to physically take the power plug out to power cycle it, there is no OFF switch.- the on.off is actually only in/out of standby. The advice I have read for smart TVs is to pull the plug and leave it for 1 minute with no connected power for a proper power cycle. ) or even overnight if you are desperate! )

also, you sometimes still have to force an app update, even if " auto" is enabled- by going to the TV's app store, finding the app, re-downloading it

check also if there is a TV firmware update available.

Moving on - your symptoms suggest there could be a corrupt cache, or a  DHCP issue between tv & VM hub. the app is not getting the connectivity it needs to talk to  netflix servers.

have you tried giving the TV a static IP address, within its' network setup options

do other tv apps e.g. bbC i player work OK ?

is there a network test option in the netflix app on the TV.? on mine its hidden inside of " help" within the netflix app . it tests all the needed server connections and returns status codes which you can quote to netflix.?

is there an "all apps reset" option on the TV., again on mine i have "smart hub reset" that reurnds all apps to factory settings

your PC is fine via a browser - if you have windows 10 you can also try it via the free Netflix app from the windows store.

I fear that because PC netflix works, VM can say " not our problem- go talk to netflix or to TV manufacturer"

most TV manufacturers do have their own forums & support, so check that out also. e.g. I read that Samsung can, on request, take remote control of your Samsung smart TV & try to fix stuff for you. I can't speak to their competence  though.

if TV is in warranty and netflix will not work as it should you may have grounds for a repair/swap out under warranty 

cybmole
Community elder
Message 19 of 107
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

it does seem to be a VM issue then. In  other similar threads, some of which date back to 2014, there is some official admission that some vm+ netflix  installs stick, some of the time, and  that VM don't really know why, or how to fix it. It's likely that they are caching content data so you are not connecting directly to netflix ( but that you are connecting directly when you do your via mobile phone test )

i think in your situation I'd be reading those threads & reaching out to other posters to see if there is any common ground.

but the one anomaly is that netflix on your PC works ?. maybe that uses different netflix servers which VM do not cache. Try the PC netflix app. if that works it has support for netflix super HD which the browsers do not offer.

From messing with netflix proxies & reading up on the topic, I know that netflix have many servers, and it's random as to which ones you are connected to at any app launch; that partly explains the sometimes it works sometimes not behaviour. changing DNS can affect choice of server but you have already tried 8 8 8 and 8 8 4 4 you say.

you could try open dns 
208 67 222 222
208 67 220 220

router settings is the final place to look. some firewall or flood related settings ? what model hub do you have, and have you tried disabling all those types of controls ?

PS "I've ran the Network test from Netflix multiple times and has never failed to connect to the servers. Although it doesn't pull any speed stats on the last step.". that does not seem right, & may be a clue. I'd consult netflix / google on that issue

google found this- new service

http://www.geek.com/news/netflix-launches-its-own-simple-internet-speed-test-on-fast-com-1655715/

The results are very basic — there’s actually just the one result. Fast.com tells you what your download speed is from Netflix’s servers. There’s no upload, no ping, and no jitter listed. The test loads incredibly quickly, though. It does, however, include a link to Speedtest.net if you want more detailed metrics.

( for reference, I  got a healthy 120 result on my 152 package -  at ~7am though so well off peak)

All Replies
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 107
Flag for a moderator

I have not experienced it myself on my PS4 and most of the people posting here get this with the Tivo app, so I was thinking that this was a Tivo issue. If you Google "Netflix buffer getting stuck at 25%" you will get a lot of hits from all over the world, on all sorts of devices, so this is clearly a common Netflix issue.

Signing out of Netflix on each device and signing back in is the most common suggestion to "fix" it.

Disclaimer - I don't work for Virgin Media. I'm just another VM user trying to help out so my answers may be wrong :-) If you do like my answer please mark it as helpful as it may help others
My setup: Vivid 200 Optical fibre with Superhub 2 in modem mode connected to a Netgear R7000 router. Telewest/VM user since 2001.

0 Kudos
legacy1
Hero
Message 3 of 107
Flag for a moderator

Have you tested Netflix by wire on a PC?

0 Kudos
lenny81
Dialled in
Message 4 of 107
Flag for a moderator

SCA1972, if it is a Netflix issue then why can you not find it on Netflix support, if it is so common? The fact that it worked fine on all devices and now doesn't tells me it's the circuit connection.
I haven't tested pc yet but will do tomorrow. I will also set up a hotspot on my phone and connect the ps4 to that and test it.
0 Kudos
lenny81
Dialled in
Message 5 of 107
Flag for a moderator

I have just tested it using my phone as a hotspot, videos load fine. Reverting back to home network and restarting the app, buffer freezes at 25%.
0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 6 of 107
Flag for a moderator

Hi lenny81,

Full sympathy for the video buffering problems, there are few things more annoying (in relation to video viewing that is).

I see that you have already been notified about a peak time capacity issue affecting your connection on your other thread here.

It's entirely possible that the same issue is causing the buffer problem, especially if viewing is fine at earlier times of the day. Please let us know whether or not this is the case - if not we'll look into this further for you.

Many thanks Smiley Happy

Jen
Forum Team

0 Kudos
lenny81
Dialled in
Message 7 of 107
Flag for a moderator

Hi Jen,

Thanks for getting back to me, as previously mentioned, I tend to have the issue regardless of whether I am achieving full bandwidth or a fraction. I never experienced this problem before, it only started around the beginning of February.
0 Kudos
lenny81
Dialled in
Message 8 of 107
Flag for a moderator

Bump.

Is anyone looking in to this at all please?
0 Kudos
Message 9 of 107
Flag for a moderator

Hi Lenny81,

Sorry to hear you're still having trouble with this.

Could you now try the hub in modem mode with a PC in safe mode with networking and see if you still get the same problem. This set up will narrow down the possible causes by ruling out other devices on the network, background software on the PC, wireless and the hubs router functions.

If you could do this at an off peak time too to avoid any over lap from the peak time fault Jen mention that would also help.

The do's and don'ts. Keep the community welcoming for all. Follow the house rules

0 Kudos
lenny81
Dialled in
Message 10 of 107
Flag for a moderator

To be honest, my pc is the only device that doesn't have issues (when I tested it as I never use it for Netflix). Netflix themselves are of no help at all. Thanks for your time though.
0 Kudos