Menu
GillB
On our wavelength
Message 1 of 17
Flag for a moderator

Netflix 25% Buffering

I posted about this in another thread last week as I thought it was better to use one thread for the same problem but, as I got no response, I'll try my own thread.

I thought the problems were bad before with having to switch off Netflix & reset everything 4 or 5 times in a 40 minute episode; however tonight I tried to watch a film. Not a long film, it was 90 minutes. However I got the 25% buffering problem 11 times and you kinda lose immersion after the first 2 or 3.

I rarely use other services on my TV such as iPlayer or ITV hub but haven't noticed the problem the few times I've used them. I have a wi-fi connection from my hub to the television which is in the next room. When I get the buffering, I haven't actually lost connection because fiddling around to get reconnected manually connects me straight away. I've reset everything as suggested elsewhere and, if anything, it's happening more frequently.

My only other use of wi-fi is direct streaming to my tablet in a further away room which I do regularly with no problems at all which leads me to think there must be a problem between the hub and my television. 

It's getting beyond frustrating now as I'm paying twice (to VM & to Netflix) for a service I can't watch with any enjoyment as I spend the whole time expecting it happen.

Please help.

blackslaine
Dialled in
Message 2 of 17
Flag for a moderator

Re: Netflix 25% Buffering

Check out my tutorial on YT. It's not the most professional but it is honest and as best as I can manage, impartial. It will send you in the right direction, I am putting a tut explaining exactly this this week too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nU9psdnyLJY

Hope it helps.
0 Kudos
GillB
On our wavelength
Message 3 of 17
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for the link however I don't have the 3.0 ... I think mine is the hub 1 so I'm guessing it won't apply. Apologies, I should have mentioned that in my post.

0 Kudos
GillB
On our wavelength
Message 4 of 17
Flag for a moderator

Nothing? 

I'm trying to finish watching Buffy before it gets taken off Netflix at the end of the month and am considerably hampered by having to reset everything 2 or 3 times an episode. This isn't what I'm paying for.

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 17
Flag for a moderator

Hi GillB,

Thanks for posting, the buffering Netflix issues sound frustrating, although I've run a few checks on your service from this end and both your Hub and local network segment are reporting back in good health, so the buffering is something of a mystery.

Sounds like it could be a problem with the wireless reception to the TV if the tablet is okay.

You could try troubleshooting using some of the options mentioned in the article here Getting the best Wireless Network Signal.

Hope this helps, let us know how you get on.

Ralph_R
Forum Moderator

The do's and don'ts. Keep the community welcoming for all. Follow the house rules

0 Kudos
GillB
On our wavelength
Message 6 of 17
Flag for a moderator

Sorry for delay in replying, but I've been away.
I had already tried everything on the link except having the superhub face the TV (I hadn't realised where the signal came from). However that was disastrous and I couldn't get the programme to start at all although, again, it was fine on my tablet so I suspect, as you said, it's a problem with the TV reception of the wifi signal so I'm investigating what I can do there.
That said I managed to watch a whole episode last night with no buffering at all so who knows ...
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 17
Flag for a moderator

Hmmm, may be worth checking with the TV manufacturer to see if there is any updated driver for the wireless receiver.

Just a thought but something like Powerline Adaptors may also be an option.

Cheers

Ralph_R
Forum Moderator

The do's and don'ts. Keep the community welcoming for all. Follow the house rules

0 Kudos
cje85
Knows their stuff
Message 8 of 17
Flag for a moderator

The Netflix 25% buffering problem has come up a lot on this forum over the past couple of weeks. Surely so many people reporting exactly the same problem should set alarm bells ringing? Some are even reporting the problem on TiVo boxes which are wired directly to the Virgin network. 

legacy1
Hero
Message 9 of 17
Flag for a moderator

not that this is the best tool that Netflix could do but you can try their speed test.
https://fast.com/en/gb/

0 Kudos
GillB
On our wavelength
Message 10 of 17
Flag for a moderator

I found a firmware update for my TV but it's made no difference - 5 lots of disconnection in a 40 minute episode so no change from before. I'd like to try switching to 5GHz or check if my TV is n compatible but can find no useful online manual to check these things. Google is not helping for once.
What is even stranger I don't remember this problem when watching Netflix earlier last year when I watched whole seasons of programmes with no buffering which is what makes it hard to know if the TV is the problem or, more specifically, the signal from the Superhub to the TV is the problem. Something has changed ... the TV's the same, the Superhub is different (the old one died) but it's the same model.
0 Kudos