Menu
Maddisario
Joining in
Message 1 of 18
Flag for a moderator

Nest Thermostat not keeping time

My Nest wireless thermostat has recently started to set its time to GMT - 5 hours. It is connected to the virgin wireless router and does not lose connection.

i have spoken with Nest and they believe it is due to Virgin's NPT (Network protocol Time) which is setting the time incorrectly as nest requests the current time over the Internet. To check this they requested I connect via my phones wireless hotspot to a different wifi network

i.e. Connecting to O2 4G network. Within a minute the time updated to correct GMT.

I was advised to contact Virgin and ask them to reset the NPT server for my router. However when speaking to virgin tech support 1st and 2nd line they said they had not heard of NPT and thar the router time was corrrect, which I could also see in router settings.

Has anyone else had the same issue or know how to resolve please?

0 Kudos
legacy1
Hero
Message 2 of 18
Flag for a moderator

Re: Nest Thermostat not keeping time

Can you link to this Nest wireless thermostat?

Depending on how the device gets it time normally the NTP that the device uses is built in but you can get NTP by DHCP which in router mode it likely does not do plus it likely be 10. .

which super hub/hub do you have?

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 3 of 18
Flag for a moderator

Okay to be pedantic- maybe they haven't  heard of NPT as its actually NTP?

Although in reality 1st line support likely haven't heard of NTP either.

To take the sarcasm out of it- ONE device on your network has an issue with time. Your HUB which uses NTP is fine, as are all other devices I assume. So maybe its the device in question?

Tis the modern world. Everyone points the finger at everyone else. Assuming all the other functions of the thermostat are working okay, its likely set to the wrong timezone internally.

0 Kudos
Maddisario
Joining in
Message 4 of 18
Flag for a moderator

Hi thanks both for responses. The router I see a superhub 2ac. 

As far as I can see all other devices on my network have correct times, I haven't added any new devices recently. 

it seems strange that when connecting to non virgin wifi that the time is set correctly. I would have thought if it was the Nest then the time would remain incorrect. As soon as I connect back to virgin it sets the time back 5 hours within minutes. Location and time zone on the Nest are set as expected for U.K. Or at least the ones I have access to are. 

Thanks so far

0 Kudos
RobRot
Tuning in
Message 5 of 18
Flag for a moderator

Mine is doing the exact same thing only GMT -4hrs. Its been working for a year and then suddenly it's now changing almost immediately after I change it manually to the right time. Nest told me to turn off and on again and I reset the whole device but it's still happening.

I checked my router settings and it seems to be pushing out the right time (from what I could see)

Any help would be greatly appreciated as my learnt heating times etc. Are now all completely wrong.
0 Kudos
RobRot
Tuning in
Message 6 of 18
Flag for a moderator

Just spoke to Virgin and they're stumped.... Told me to hard reset my router by holding the reset button for 30 seconds. Can you let me know if you have any luck with sorting this out. When I spoke to nest they said they have had quite a few of these queries from Virgin media users!
0 Kudos
Maddisario
Joining in
Message 7 of 18
Flag for a moderator

I'm going to give Nest another call tonight to see if they have any workarounds.

Have you tried connecting via a mobile hotspot or other non virgin wifi network? If so did that resolve the issue?

0 Kudos
RobRot
Tuning in
Message 8 of 18
Flag for a moderator

I haven't no, but I will just to make sure it's not the nest product. Keep me posted on your outcome.
0 Kudos
RobRot
Tuning in
Message 9 of 18
Flag for a moderator

My brother checked his device and he's got the same problem. Reckons it's nest and not Virgin. He's an IT programmer so is going to have a play.

Did you have any luck with Nest last night?

0 Kudos
stevedh2
Knows their stuff
Message 10 of 18
Flag for a moderator

Are the nest time zone and post code settings correct ?

0 Kudos