Menu
Weasty
Tuning in
Message 1 of 12
Flag for a moderator

My internet keeps disconnecting and reconnecting then disconnecting.

Basically, for the past month, my housemates and I have been experiencing sporadic disconnections whilst we try to use the internet. For me this is during my game, I will see the internet symbol change and claim no internet is connecting then return. For my upstairs friend, she has the same issue on her phone when she is trying to Skype. I know it is not a usage issue as I woke up really early to try and see if I could play without people on the internet but had the same issue. Basically it makes streaming/ gaming/ skyping impossible as it is not a stable connection. The issue occurs  multiple devices and is quite annoying.

I've called Virgin on this issue for the past 4 weeks, every time I've been told it is just  signal issue and that they are fixing it while I'm on the phone. But surely there is something worse here since it does not work. My house mates are very frustrated and are thinking of changing provider. Not sure what to do, could someone offer some advice please? I've done all the standard, restart router... check pc connection issues, troubleshoot mode...etc

Thanks. 

thisismarcus
Joining in
Message 2 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Re: My internet keeps disconnecting and reconnecting then disconnecting.

Same problem here in the Bristol area recently. I'm sat 3 feet from the router, all indications that it's working normally but sometimes no data flows. I'll load Facebook or the BBC site as a test case: blank screen for 50 seconds then suddenly it all kicks in. Worse in the evenings. Please advise a solution.

Forum Team (Retired) Adam_L
Forum Team (Retired)
Message 3 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Hi Weasty, 

Thanks for the post! I am sorry to learn about your issues with your internet disconnecting and reconnecting, I apologise for any inconvenience caused.

I have run some checks on your connection from this side and I noticed that your Hub is offline, is this due to it being switched off from your end? If so, please switch it on and respond to me here at a time when it will be on and available for testing.

If it is not off due to it being switched off from your end, then an engineer will need to attend in order to resolve this for you. I will send you a PM (purple envelope at the top) detailing what's required in order to proceed with making the booking. Only respond to me there if this is not offline due to it being switched off from your end.

Take care, 

Thanks, 

Adam.

Tech fan? Have you read our Digital life blog yet? Check it out

the_minxy
Joining in
Message 4 of 12
Flag for a moderator

I have the same problem and have been told it was due to congestion on the line. They said they fixed it but it still keeps disconnecting and reconnecting. It has been happeining for several weeks now and it really annoying. can you help?

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 5 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Hi the_minxy,

Welcome to the Community!

Really sorry to hear you've had trouble with your connection.

I've located your account and I can see the team have sent you a replacement hub. Let me know if you get any more trouble and I'll check it out for you.

All the best! Smiley Very Happy

Josh

Tech fan? Have you read our Digital life blog yet? Check it out

0 Kudos
Weasty
Tuning in
Message 6 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Hello,

sorry I've actually not been in the house for a while since I've been travelling for my degree.

I came back yesterday and my housemates told me the internet is just as bad as always. The internet has been on for us so we can actually access it but the connection is not stable. The hub hasn't been off as far as I'm aware unless one of my housemates called in and was instructed to do so.  We have spoken to countless technicians and have received no help...not even some form of compensation. It is beginning to get beyond a joke. I don't want to sound too dramatic but this is the worst service I've received across BT, EE and Ask4. We are in a student house but the previous internet connection beforehand was also virgin so it shouldn't have been that bigger issue.  

I'm really quite annoyed I've called Virgin up 9 times in the past 2 -3 months. I keep having this issue and I am not even closer to finding out what is going on. I feel like as students we don't demand high internet speed but instead just reliable connection. Everyone has been having this issue regardless of what they have been using. 

Please can you investigate further if possible.

Thank you for your time,

Weasty.

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 7 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Hi Weasty,

Hope you don't mind me getting back to you on behalf of Adam as he is currently away from the office at the moment.

I've had a look at everything from this end and there does appear to be some timeouts visible via the equipment levels. I'd like to see if these clear post-reboot before sending out an engineer.

I'll check your connection again later today and get back to you with an update.

Speak soon,

Nat_J

Who's who? Find out more about our community members. Good folk to know

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 8 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Hi again Weasty,

Further to my previous post, I've had another look at this for you and the timeouts detected have since cleared.

There doesn't appear to be any individual faults present, however, there is a high demand for our service in your area affecting the cable you're connected to under the ticket reference F005144936, with a review set for 12/04/2017. With this, you might find that your Virgin Broadband, Virgin TV or TiVo® interactive services are a bit slow at certain times of the day.

It appears that the drop outs experienced are related to this.

Really sorry for any inconvenience caused.

Rather than a field engineer visiting the property, we will now instruct a Network engineer to attend the area and resolve.

Let me know if I can help with anything more in the meantime,

Nat_J

Who's who? Find out more about our community members. Good folk to know

Weasty
Tuning in
Message 9 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Thank you very much for the assistance, am I to believe that the network engineer will be sorting this issue out on the 12/04?

Thanks for everything,

0 Kudos
pilotony
Joining in
Message 10 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Same problem with me over several years. Decided to leave 4 years ago because of it but was lured back with a good deal and the salesperson assured me things had improved vastly since I had left! Afraid not; it was as bad as ever after a few months with Virgin. Rang helpline numerous times over the two years I stayed with no long term improvement so I have given notice and leave in a few days time. There has been an improvement since giving notice but it still drops out. Really poor stuff. What's the point of having the fast race car on the circuit if its wheels keep falling off??? Just not possible to play games reliably online like fifa etc. Such a shame because when it works properly its brilliant.

0 Kudos