Menu
chrismacs
Tuning in
Message 1 of 16
Flag for a moderator

My iPhone suddenly not seeing our home WiFi.

My wife's iPhone connects fine. My phone connects to WiFi at work fine. I've switched the router off and on again. I've switched the phone off and on again. I've re-set my network settings on the phone. The OS is up to date. It's an old-ish phone (4s) but has been absolutely fine for the last few years. Is the issue likely to be with the phone, the broadband provider (Virgin) or the mobile provider (Tesco)? Any thoughts or ideas appreciated. 

Thanks

Chris

0 Kudos

Helpful Answers
backtothefuture
Fibre optic
Message 2 of 16
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: My iPhone suddenly not seeing our home WiFi.

Hi Chris,

The problem definitely isn't to do with the mobile provider as the device should connect with Wi-Fi even if the sim card wasn't in the phone.  In fact I've just tried it myself with an old iphone 4 of my sisters.

The problem is likely to be down to either your router settings or the phone.  Does your phone show other wireless networks in the area just not yours ?

-

If I have helped please feel free to give 'Kudos' by clicking on the thumbs up icon against any of my posts. If I have helped to solve an issue you can also click on the 'Mark As Helpful Answer' link to mark it as helpful.
backtothefuture
Fibre optic
Message 4 of 16
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

It might just be worth logging into your SuperHub and checking whether it shows your wireless as 2.4 and 5Ghz.

Other than that it sounds as though it is your old iphone that maybe the cause of the problem.

-

If I have helped please feel free to give 'Kudos' by clicking on the thumbs up icon against any of my posts. If I have helped to solve an issue you can also click on the 'Mark As Helpful Answer' link to mark it as helpful.

All Replies
backtothefuture
Fibre optic
Message 2 of 16
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Hi Chris,

The problem definitely isn't to do with the mobile provider as the device should connect with Wi-Fi even if the sim card wasn't in the phone.  In fact I've just tried it myself with an old iphone 4 of my sisters.

The problem is likely to be down to either your router settings or the phone.  Does your phone show other wireless networks in the area just not yours ?

-

chrismacs
Tuning in
Message 3 of 16
Flag for a moderator

Hi,

Thanks for your reply. My phone is showing other wireless networks (neighbours etc) but our own network just won't come up on the list and I can't add it as a network. My wife's phone is connecting fine wirelessly (she has a 5s). I thought it could be the phone but it is connecting fine at work so I'm not sure where the issue lies. Nothing dramatic happened - no updates or OS changes. I just noticed I was on 3G and not automatically auto connecting to the home network. Any thoughts appreciated.

Thanks again

Chris

0 Kudos
backtothefuture
Fibre optic
Message 4 of 16
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

It might just be worth logging into your SuperHub and checking whether it shows your wireless as 2.4 and 5Ghz.

Other than that it sounds as though it is your old iphone that maybe the cause of the problem.

-

chrismacs
Tuning in
Message 5 of 16
Flag for a moderator

Thanks - I'll try that this evening. Thanks again for the advice.

Chris

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 6 of 16
Flag for a moderator

Since your Wife has a 5s that can use and connect to 5Ghz Wifi. Your 4s does not support 5Ghz so I would suspect the 2.4Ghz has somehow been switched off on the hub or at worst failed.

200Mb(SH2 SH2AC Hub 3.0), 2 X V6 TV XL, Phone M. 100Mb Business (Hitron Hub).
chrismacs
Tuning in
Message 7 of 16
Flag for a moderator

Hi, would I be able to login to the hub and change it to 2.4Ghz if it has switched to 5Ghz (not that I've ever logged in...). If it has failed would that be more a mechanical problem and something that Virgin could/would replace?

Thanks for the advice

Chris

0 Kudos
backtothefuture
Fibre optic
Message 8 of 16
Flag for a moderator

Both 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz should run together side by side.

If it shows they are both enabled when you check the status page then it certainly sounds like a fault with the router rather than just a setting you can change.

-

Superuser
Superuser
Message 9 of 16
Flag for a moderator

What version of the Superhub do you have?

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 10 of 16
Flag for a moderator

backtothefuture wrote:

Both 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz should run together side by side.

If it shows they are both enabled when you check the status page then it certainly sounds like a fault with the router rather than just a setting you can change.

Not if the OP is running a Superhub 1 VMDG480.

0 Kudos