Menu
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 1 of 8 (295 Views)

My SuperHub and FreeWiFi – EMF output

If I opt in for Free WiFi, when my SuperHub transmits FreeWiFi is the EMF output doubled, trebled, quadrupled? Can I still turn it off at night? (it is located in my bedroom)

0 Kudos

Accepted Solutions
Alessandro Volta
Message 2 of 8 (394 Views)
Helpful Answer
confirmed by Davcan42
‎31-08-2015 08:23

Re: My SuperHub and FreeWiFi – EMF output

EMF is limited by regulation. WiFi is not multi-tasked on broadcast so either public or private WiFi is broadcasting but not both. So no extra EFM.
Seph - ( DEFROCKED - My advice is at your risk)

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

Fibre optic
Message 4 of 8 (373 Views)
Helpful Answer
confirmed by Davcan42

I was under the impression that the public SSID would be available at all times to the public (though I could be wrong on that).

The WiFi network itself can only service one user at a time though so if you and a public user request data from the network at the same time, then the network can only send data to one of you at a time. So the clients take it in turns to get access. This is why an increasing number of  active WiFi clients slow WiFi networks down. All time on the network is shared between the clients that want data access.

0 Kudos
Alessandro Volta
Message 5 of 8 (369 Views)
Helpful Answer
confirmed by Davcan42
‎31-08-2015 08:22

[ Edited ]

Davcan42 wrote:

Thank you, Sephiroth, most interesting. So how does the system know you are not using it privately? Does it only go public when you leave the premises – ie after an interval of 30 minutes or so?

I'll try & explain.  It's technical and augments what DarkB has correctly said..

The Superhub is sent a "service flow" that defines your private service in terms of speeds and data packing density.  Everything you do, wired or wireless, is governed by that service flow.  It can be seen in the "Operational Configuration" of the modem stats.

VM can send more than one "service flow" to the Superhub, such as public WiFi.  This defines what can and can't be done; for example offering an SSID called "Virgin Media" and broadcasting that on 2.4GHz only.

Both service flows operate in parallel and neither cares about the other save that the private service flow has a higher priority than the public service flow.  So anything you want to send out gets sent out before what Joe Bloggs in the street wants to send.  In other words, for example, the upstream channel can only be dealing with private or public and will favour a request from private.

Is that fairly clear?

Alessandro Volta
Message 7 of 8 (332 Views)
Helpful Answer
confirmed by Davcan42

Correct.  You're not obliged to do anything.  When it's on, it's on.  When it's not, it's off.

All Replies
Alessandro Volta
Message 2 of 8 (395 Views)
Helpful Answer
confirmed by Davcan42

EMF is limited by regulation. WiFi is not multi-tasked on broadcast so either public or private WiFi is broadcasting but not both. So no extra EFM.

Tuning in
Message 3 of 8 (265 Views)

Thank you, Sephiroth, most interesting. So how does the system know you are not using it privately? Does it only go public when you leave the premises – ie after an interval of 30 minutes or so?

0 Kudos
Fibre optic
Message 4 of 8 (374 Views)
Helpful Answer
confirmed by Davcan42

I was under the impression that the public SSID would be available at all times to the public (though I could be wrong on that).

The WiFi network itself can only service one user at a time though so if you and a public user request data from the network at the same time, then the network can only send data to one of you at a time. So the clients take it in turns to get access. This is why an increasing number of  active WiFi clients slow WiFi networks down. All time on the network is shared between the clients that want data access.

0 Kudos
Alessandro Volta
Message 5 of 8 (370 Views)
Helpful Answer
confirmed by Davcan42

[ Edited ]

Davcan42 wrote:

I'll try & explain.  It's technical and augments what DarkB has correctly said..

The Superhub is sent a "service flow" that defines your private service in terms of speeds and data packing density.  Everything you do, wired or wireless, is governed by that service flow.  It can be seen in the "Operational Configuration" of the modem stats.

VM can send more than one "service flow" to the Superhub, such as public WiFi.  This defines what can and can't be done; for example offering an SSID called "Virgin Media" and broadcasting that on 2.4GHz only.

Both service flows operate in parallel and neither cares about the other save that the private service flow has a higher priority than the public service flow.  So anything you want to send out gets sent out before what Joe Bloggs in the street wants to send.  In other words, for example, the upstream channel can only be dealing with private or public and will favour a request from private.

Is that fairly clear?

Tuning in
Message 6 of 8 (220 Views)

Thank you. Very helpful. So my question about turning off at night is not really one that VM would be too bothered about – I am not obliged to keep it running 24/7? 

0 Kudos
Alessandro Volta
Message 7 of 8 (333 Views)
Helpful Answer
confirmed by Davcan42

Correct.  You're not obliged to do anything.  When it's on, it's on.  When it's not, it's off.

Tuning in
Message 8 of 8 (162 Views)

Thank you, Seph. You have allayed all my misgivings. I now feel comfortable about subscribing to FreeWiFi!

0 Kudos