Menu
HowardP
Joining in
Message 1 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Multi room "Jam" stereo wifi speakers - router question

Recently bought a multi-room set of 8 Jam speakers (mix of "Symphony" and "Rhythm" speakers). They work well, most of the time but I am experiencing an annoying tendency for what sounds like stereo left and right variable separation effects which come and go.  These speakers work on the 2G network only.  I am using a Superhub 2ac.  I am suspecting the router is faulty.  Recently had to re-boot the Superhub three times in 3 days and Virgin support have now "changed the frequency" (not sure what that means) which has cured the re-boot issues but I am still suspecting a fault.  Any ideas?

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Re: Multi room "Jam" stereo wifi speakers - router question

hiya @HowardP possible the frequency the put it in wasn't the best, since when you do a check for wireless networks how many are showing?, since best to try channels 1,6,11 first and then the others..to change channels on the hub -> http://help.virginmedia.com/system/selfservice.controller?CMD=VIEW_ARTICLE&ARTICLE_ID=27667&CURRENT_...

----------------------------------------------------------
If someone's helped you out say thanks by clicking on the thumbs up. If someone's solved your problem, why not mark their message as an Accepted Solution
HowardP
Joining in
Message 3 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for the advice.  VM had set me on Channel 9. Tried Channel 11 and then installed Wifi Analyser and saw there was more space at Channel 13. There are three others (but appear to be the same source) using Channels 9+13 in my neighbourhood. Since changing to 11 and then 13 not really noticed any improvement on speech radio such as BBC R4 which has strange artefacts when listening via tunein.  If I listen via iplayer (and via a standard amp and wired speakers) it sounds normal.  So, is it the router/wifi or tunein?  Music through Spotify premium sounds quite decent.  It is a pity that the Jam speakers I have are 2G only.  I guess if they were 5G they could be range-limited for a multi-room system.  There is a nagging doubt that the problem is the 2G and that it may be interference from other users.  Might try some very anti-social listening times to see if there is an improvement.  Would I be better off using the VM router in modem mode and getting a good third party router?  I have a Superhub 2ac.

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 4 of 4
Flag for a moderator

don't assume wifi analyzers give you a true picture.
Before you even get into the fact they only see Wifi and not the 100's of other things that might be on the 2.4ghz you also have to remember this...

10 wireless AP on channel 1 being used by someone just checking email now and again might use 1% of the spectrum.
1 person on channel 11 downloading movies or streaming netflix might be using 100% of the spectrum.
You are in fact better on the channel with the other 10 people, A true spectrum analyzer can see this. (I know this as i own one Smiley Tongue)

0 Kudos