Menu
Clippermurphy
Just joined
Message 1 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Moving rooter from airing cupboard

Hi everyone. At the moment my rooter is in the airing cupboard in my little boys bedroom. No idea why it is in there but not ideal for many reasons.  The co axial and power leads are there. In my Lounge is a single cable from the virgin box outside going into the back of my TiVo box.  My question is as follows:

does the cable going into the TiVo box also carry the broadband signal. If it does can I simply plug my rooter in next to the TiVo box and use an Ethernet cable to connect the two. Result would hopefully be fully working broadband and wireless. 

0 Kudos

Helpful Answers
Sephiroth
Alessandro Volta
Message 3 of 7
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Moving rooter from airing cupboard

The Tivo cable carries the Broadband signal.

You would need a two way splitter such as http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2-Way-Output-Port-F-Type-Cable-TV-or-Aerial-Signal-Splitter-5-1000-MHz-/23...

Incoming goes into the single port; Tivo to one output, Hub to the other. SHould be simples.

Btw, buy a 75ohm terminator at the same time to put on the open end in the airing cupboard so that it doesn't pick up any noise from the pump!.

Seph - ( DEFROCKED - My advice is at your risk)

0 Kudos

All Replies
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Mostly, you can swap the TiVo and HUB round, as the coax carries a signal both can connect to.

Unfortunately that will leave you with a TiVo in the airing cupboard, which is probably less ideal than the HUB in there.

If you have a really old install, there used to be a box on the wall that had 2 coax outputs, in which case, its likely you could attach the HUB to the second.

If not you are going to need a splitter and a termination cap, wait for staff to pick it up and they can maybe arrange for them to be sent.

Or you COULD elect for a VM bloke to come an remove the old airing cupboard point and fit a new one wherever- but that will cost you 99 quid.

0 Kudos
Sephiroth
Alessandro Volta
Message 3 of 7
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

The Tivo cable carries the Broadband signal.

You would need a two way splitter such as http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2-Way-Output-Port-F-Type-Cable-TV-or-Aerial-Signal-Splitter-5-1000-MHz-/23...

Incoming goes into the single port; Tivo to one output, Hub to the other. SHould be simples.

Btw, buy a 75ohm terminator at the same time to put on the open end in the airing cupboard so that it doesn't pick up any noise from the pump!.

0 Kudos
cybmole
Community elder
Message 4 of 7
Flag for a moderator

rather than mess with cables & risk breaking the service, thus needing a callout anyway -  I would call retentions and negotiate a new contract which included repositioning the equipment as part of an upgrade e.g. get a V6 box but have moving the hub close to the TV made part of the deal. Should be do-able as Virgin prefers those 2 devices to be near to each other. they can correctly then kill the cable to the aerial cupboard (from outside the house) so that it does not cause any interference & rebalance /retest all your signal levels to the new setup

0 Kudos
Sephiroth
Alessandro Volta
Message 5 of 7
Flag for a moderator

No risk breaking the service with my method, but cybmole's method is even more valid than mine!

0 Kudos
cybmole
Community elder
Message 6 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Sephiroth wrote:
No risk breaking the service with my method, but cybmole's method is even more valid than mine!

slight risk maybe - we are often told that changing cable lengths can upset power levels, and having a live cable going nowhere in the upstairs cupboard may also cause interference ?

my other worry would be if ever Virgin had to come fix some other fault and spotted the DIY cable work...

0 Kudos
Sephiroth
Alessandro Volta
Message 7 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Changing cable lengths drastically might affect power levels if you are a longish way from the cabinet; the so-called live cable if terminated as per my suggestion won't cause interference.

I've had technicians round and they've had no problem with my DIY work - didn't even notice it. The key thing is to use pre-made coax cables bought from a reputable place.

0 Kudos