Menu
Tazza22
On our wavelength
Message 1 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Modem mode

Hi

This may sound like a daft question, but is there any performance difference between the three superhubs if they are in modem mode? If superhub 2 is in modem mode, vs superhub 3 and you were to connect them both to the same router would they be identical?

0 Kudos

Helpful Answers
Superuser
Superuser
Message 4 of 4
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Modem mode

No, but you are getting headline speed, so it won't go any faster than the package allows give or tale a couple of Mbps.

All Replies
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 4
Flag for a moderator

In theory no, as all are capable of provided headline speed.

In practise the Hub 3 suffers from a bug in the Puma 6 chipset which causes latency spikes.

However, the Hub 3 can use 24 Downstream channels as opposed to the SH2's 8, which allows better load balancing which should help a bit if the segment is carrying a lot of traffic, bearing in mind this does not negate possible over utilsation problems, VM's CMTS will need to have been upgraded to use the extra channels.

0 Kudos
Tazza22
On our wavelength
Message 3 of 4
Flag for a moderator

I see. The answer I read there was 'no it makes no difference', then 'yes superhub 3 is worse', then 'no superhub 3 is better'.

I currently have Superhub 2 in modem mode with my Asus n66u router. I do indeed get the speed I pay for (200mb)... even over wifi. So, I assume there would be no difference in speed should I change to superhub 3?
0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 4 of 4
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

No, but you are getting headline speed, so it won't go any faster than the package allows give or tale a couple of Mbps.