Menu
simonseeker
Joining in
Message 1 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Media hub and air time capsule

Just bought a Mac Air Time Capsule - mainly for convenience of automatic back up. I haven't unwrapped it yet, so I can take it back!

Is the wifi on it going to be any better than on my Virgin Media Hub (Super Hub 2ac, VMDG490)?

Can I turn the Virgin Hub wifi off, leaving it as a modem only.

If I use both wifi systems will they interfere with each other?

Thank you, if you can help on this.

Simon

0 Kudos

Helpful Answers
Dark_Fiber
On our wavelength
Message 2 of 5
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Media hub and air time capsule

simonseeker wrote:

Is the wifi on it going to be any better than on my Virgin Media Hub (Super Hub 2ac, VMDG490)?

I don't know, but it is unlikely to be worse.

Yes, and, in my opinion, that is what you should do. Instructions are available at the Vm website.

You could, in theory, use the Hub as your router and set the Time Capsule up as an extender. But, unless you have a good reason to do so, the simpler way above is better.

0 Kudos
Sephiroth
Alessandro Volta
Message 3 of 5
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

You can put the SH2ac into modem mode and run the ATC as your wireless router. WiFi in the hub will not function nor 3/4 Ethernet ports.

If you use both WiFi systems (SH2ac remains in router mode), you will need to use one LAN port to the ATC and put the ATC into Bridge mode.

The two WiFi systems will not interfere with each other in so far as on boot up, each will choose onon-conflicting channels.

Keep us posted.

Seph - ( DEFROCKED - My advice is at your risk)

0 Kudos

All Replies
Dark_Fiber
On our wavelength
Message 2 of 5
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

simonseeker wrote:

I don't know, but it is unlikely to be worse.

Yes, and, in my opinion, that is what you should do. Instructions are available at the Vm website.

You could, in theory, use the Hub as your router and set the Time Capsule up as an extender. But, unless you have a good reason to do so, the simpler way above is better.

0 Kudos
Sephiroth
Alessandro Volta
Message 3 of 5
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

You can put the SH2ac into modem mode and run the ATC as your wireless router. WiFi in the hub will not function nor 3/4 Ethernet ports.

If you use both WiFi systems (SH2ac remains in router mode), you will need to use one LAN port to the ATC and put the ATC into Bridge mode.

The two WiFi systems will not interfere with each other in so far as on boot up, each will choose onon-conflicting channels.

Keep us posted.

Seph - ( DEFROCKED - My advice is at your risk)

0 Kudos
simonseeker
Joining in
Message 4 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Thank you very much for going to the trouble of helping. I've had two answers which say the same thing, so that's encouraging!

Simon

0 Kudos
simonseeker
Joining in
Message 5 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Thank you for helping so promptly and thoroughly. I have had two replies and they say the same thing, so I am encouraged!

Simon

0 Kudos