Menu
MagicMavis
Dialled in
Message 1 of 18
Flag for a moderator

Many issues with SH3

I have had issues with the SH3 since the day it was fitted. I finally snapped about 3-4 months ago and called to complain. I don't like to do this, because I used to be one of those support people - albeit for a different company - and I know that the poor person who takes my call has 0% chance of a resolution because the equipment is as bad as the software running on it. I was assured by the call centre staff member that all would be resolved with a software update that was due out "soon" - although they couldn't give me a date for the update to land. Imagine how stunned I wasn't to discover that the software update had landed, but did not-even-one thing to make my SH3 any better. I took to Tw@ter to complain about this and the team replying on there suggested I ask on here because the forum team would be able to help. I suspect/presume this was just so that my complaints would be aired on a less public forum, but I'll never know unless I ask, so here goes.

Some basic information about my hub:
Hardware version: 10
Prior software version: 9.1.88J5
Current software version: 9.1.88T

The issues I'm having:
-The admin page (192.168.0.1) is chronically slow to allow me to access the password field. Actually, that's rude to the word slow. It's super slow. It's as if it's lost a fight with The Avengers™ and is trying to crawl home on its broken arms and legs over some broken glass. The page itself loads in under a second - as you would expect from something served at the other end of a GigE connection. It is anything from 10 to 40 infuriating seconds before I can finally type in the password box.
-Once that has allowed me to enter my password and click log in, it takes another 30-40 seconds to display the landing page.
-If I want to navigate to an admin/setup page while I'm in there, that's another 30-40 seconds to load unless - brilliantly - I want to select Modem Mode, which only takes a second.

So after the above, there are some functionality issues which persist with the terrible pile of rubbish I'm forced to use:
-Wireless range is poor. Very poor. Yes, I know the physics of why the 5.0GHz network covers less distance than the 2.4GHz one. Even the 2.4GHz network has poor range. I'm not expecting anything unrealistic from it. A good Wireless Access Point this is not.
-If I want to set my own WiFi Password, then I can. As long as it has one or two upper case letters in it. And one or two numbers in it. But what if my password of choice has three numbers in it, which is actually does - being my password of choice since I can remember, with no problems? No? What do you mean no? Oh, it's for "security"? But I can completely turn off the requirement for a password to connect to the damn thing? Seems entirely legit to me. Are you actually extracting the urine? You must be, because that's certainly how it feels from this seat. Three numbers in a 10 character password would be insecure but no password at all is absolutely fine? Biggest/worst excuse/lie I have ever heard.

You force me to use this piece of excrement because, and I quote from your own 2nd line support teams, "As a company, we can't support the many different routers our customers buy because there are too many to know how to use them all. We supply one router and we know how that works". What a great idea! When I raise the point that this combined modem/router is an unmitigated PoS though, people are hilariously quick to acknowledge this as true, then point out that the solution to all of my woes is to use Modem Mode. Sorry, are you having an actual lend? I have to use this dire PoS because you won't support routers, but your solution to it being a PoS is for me to....use my own router? Somewhere, the intense irony of this just caused a black hole. You've probably wiped out an entire village with how ridiculous this is. There were probably children in that village. And puppies. Kittens too. All dead now. Because of that answer.

I have spent some time researching the promised land of Modem Mode and even this has two problems:
-There are well documented issues with the Ethernet port regularly dropping out/resetting itself when th SH3 is in Modem Mode. This is poor, as it will be my only point of connection. I'm on the 200Mb/s package because I have multiple devices using connections at the same time, and they'll all drop out for a minute at a time while the hub sorts itself out. I imagine this will cause issues on Netflix, it'll cause issues with my Sky+HD boxes downloading in the background, it'll mean that my mobile drops calls wether connected to WiFi or my provider's Signal Box solution, and the signal Box itself might not even reconnect before the Ethernet port decides to drop out again. Modem Mode, then, is not a suitable solution. Is it?
-I would also still have to have this awful PoS kicking about somewhere. Seriously, who designed it? Or chose it? Who looked at that PoS design and thought "yep, that's the winner. That's the winner right there"? Was it left to someone's young children? Not only is it a horrible piece of design, I would have to see it and be reminded of how Godawful it is and how much it irritates me. The only equipment I have ever used that was worse that this was the original SH1, and I used to drive drive a 1989 Austin Metro when it was 14 years old!

Please tell me that you have a solution to this. Please, please just provide me a standalone DOCSIS 3.0/3.1 modem, or allow me to buy my own and use it. I'm sick of having the best internet connection widely available - and seeing adverts about how superior it is - then it being hamstrung by this PoS kit. I can pick up a decent modem for under a hundred quid. I don't care that I'll have to pay for it out of my own pocket. I don't even care that I'll still be paying for the 5h1tehub as part of my subscription fee - well I do but I'm prepared to look past that if it means that I can have something actually useable and effective. I just want something that works properly, like my old Modem/Router setup used to.

Helpful Answers
Superuser
Superuser
Message 5 of 18
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Many issues with SH3

MagicMavis wrote:

Hi Kippies,

Does it 100% definitely sort out the Modem Mode port flapping? Even then I would still begrudge using the damn thing at all. All 4 of these boxes have been poor - at best. The 2AC was as good as it got. This 3 is as bad as the 1 - in different ways, but still as bad as.

Can I ask you to elaborate on what you mean by Arris CMTS? The box itself is made by Arris. God only knows how they made such an arris of it!

I hate to say , yes 100% as I'm sure there are a specific set of circumstances yet to be found that the fix fails on- but its as near as dammit. My one hope for HUB3 is that there are several more firmware updates that sort the rest of the issues out. But at this point, given the choice between SH2AC and HUB3, SH2AC is better piece of kit.

The CMTS is the "big modem" all the HUBS on your node connect to VM's end...

docsis-architecture-v3.jpg

0 Kudos

All Replies
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 18
Flag for a moderator

Thankyou! Thank you for summing up all our frustrations in a single , if slightly off the wall post.

Well+played+sir+Well+played+indeed+_81520922a94f22b9d1623cc8675498f1.png

Yes the system is a nonsense. But the basic advice remains true- modem mode and your own router...

You should sometime soon receive a push to 9.1.116V

Which sorts out modem mode and moves the GUI from glacial to slow.

BTW your modem mode may well work now, its a specific set of circumstances that causes the port flapping issue (Arris CMTS)

0 Kudos
MagicMavis
Dialled in
Message 3 of 18
Flag for a moderator

Hi Kippies,

Does it 100% definitely sort out the Modem Mode port flapping? Even then I would still begrudge using the damn thing at all. All 4 of these boxes have been poor - at best. The 2AC was as good as it got. This 3 is as bad as the 1 - in different ways, but still as bad as.

Can I ask you to elaborate on what you mean by Arris CMTS? The box itself is made by Arris. God only knows how they made such an arris of it!

0 Kudos
Thimbleful
On our wavelength
Message 4 of 18
Flag for a moderator

Agreed - it is ridiculous that Virgin's line is by far the fastest in my area, but I can't even play games on it due to the constant ping jitter and packet loss on my new Superhub 3. I'd love to test out the new firmware to solve my port flapping issues as well, but seeing as how they want us to provide proof (that takes up time I could spend doing just about anything else) to get firmware that solves the problem while paying 60 pounds a month for the privilege. TBH, just for that last part alone I'd consider switching if the line itself wasn't much faster than any of the competitors.

Ridiculous to pay extra for the Homeworks tier with sales spiel about reliability and consistency and then receive this damn mess. Wish I could go back to my 200/20 line with the Superhub 2 since I could actually play games on that, but again, sorting that out takes way too much time and effort that is better spent elsewhere.

Superuser
Superuser
Message 5 of 18
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

MagicMavis wrote:

Hi Kippies,

I hate to say , yes 100% as I'm sure there are a specific set of circumstances yet to be found that the fix fails on- but its as near as dammit. My one hope for HUB3 is that there are several more firmware updates that sort the rest of the issues out. But at this point, given the choice between SH2AC and HUB3, SH2AC is better piece of kit.

The CMTS is the "big modem" all the HUBS on your node connect to VM's end...

docsis-architecture-v3.jpg

0 Kudos
MagicMavis
Dialled in
Message 6 of 18
Flag for a moderator

Ah right, so the issue is the Arris kit on the current Arris CMTS build has some kind of fit and ##### the port out every 30 minutes? Strange that it only happens on Modem mode though.

I wonder how many users would take the option of just a proper modem if it were available.

[MOD EDIT: Inappropriate language removed, please review the Forum Guidelines]

0 Kudos
whyowhyowhy
Up to speed
Message 7 of 18
Flag for a moderator

"I wonder how many users would take the option of just a proper modem if it were available"

I would. I have one pc connected to the internet. I don't have any wireless devices and no interest in a router.

I have a Hub 3.0 with a paper that says Arris on it in a box and to be honest I am unconvinced that it will give me the totally reliable internet connection I get with my wired modem that I've had for nine years.

I love using my computer and I have no wish to convert to the heap of junk that seems to be Hub 3.0 and yet VM insist it is the way forward, and the only way to get a price drop on my account.
0 Kudos
tweetiepooh
Up to speed
Message 8 of 18
Flag for a moderator

Just to reassure that if the problem you have with the SH3 is a disconnect about every 40 mins (~37mins) then the new firmware does resolve that issue completely.  I had it and since the upgrade no disconnects at all other than some that affected TiVo as well and looked more like some signalled reboot.

If you do what you've always done, you'll get what you've always got. Jim Elliot

I work for Virgin Media but respond here on an individual basis. No comment or assistance offered is done in any official capacity.
0 Kudos
Ajanni
On our wavelength
Message 9 of 18
Flag for a moderator

Ive got an issue with my hub 3.0 where i can not set the 2.4ghz band to 40mhz only which limits the link speed to 72.2mbps as opposed to 150mbps. Ive tried factory resetting twice but it still didn't work, any suggestions, thanks.

0 Kudos
MagicMavis
Dialled in
Message 10 of 18
Flag for a moderator

Sorry for the hugely delayed reply; I had to stay off here for the sake of my blood pressure. Are you kidding? "if the problem you have with the SH3". That whole ranty post, and you're not sure?
0 Kudos