Menu
Eddie98
Dialled in
Message 1 of 11
Flag for a moderator

MAC filtering Superhub 3 fault?

Hi

I used to be able to filter out different devices from accessing the internet on my old superhub 2 but since receiving the new white superhub 3 this functionality doesn't seem to work.

I've accessed the router setting, picked Advanced>Security>MAC filtering...

Selected the devices I want to block internet access for, selected the hours using the tiled grid. After  applying changes it just blocks that device totally, not for the hours selected.

Is this a known problem and if so when will it be fixed? it's a pretty important and basic feature that I can no longer access.

Thanks

0 Kudos

Helpful Answers
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 11
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: MAC filtering Superhub 3 fault?

This is a known issue with the Hub 3.  There is a suggested work around here:

http://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Switched-On-Families/Set-internet-time-limit-for-child/m-p/31388...

The other option is to buy a decent router that does support timed MAC filtering and stick the Hub 3 in modem mode.

Disclaimer - I don't work for Virgin Media. I'm just another VM user trying to help out so my answers may be wrong Smiley Happy If my answer solves your problem please mark it as helpful as it may help others
My setup: Vivid 200 Optical fibre with Superhub 2 in modem mode connected to a Netgear R7000 router. Telewest/VM user since 2001.  

All Replies
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 11
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

This is a known issue with the Hub 3.  There is a suggested work around here:

http://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Switched-On-Families/Set-internet-time-limit-for-child/m-p/31388...

The other option is to buy a decent router that does support timed MAC filtering and stick the Hub 3 in modem mode.

Disclaimer - I don't work for Virgin Media. I'm just another VM user trying to help out so my answers may be wrong Smiley Happy If my answer solves your problem please mark it as helpful as it may help others
My setup: Vivid 200 Optical fibre with Superhub 2 in modem mode connected to a Netgear R7000 router. Telewest/VM user since 2001.  

Eddie98
Dialled in
Message 3 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Thanks Scott,

Will take a look at the workaround and see if it is within my capabilities! Had considered buying a new router as our wifi coverage has been suffering in certain parts of the house since we had the S/H 3.0, that way we can position it in the house better (wifi and powerline extenders haven't worked particularly well so far).

Cheers

tkdsouth
On our wavelength
Message 4 of 11
Flag for a moderator

This is still not working is there an update or time scale>  thank you

0 Kudos
tkdsouth
On our wavelength
Message 5 of 11
Flag for a moderator

i have been searching the forums for the same problem, still not answer
0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 6 of 11
Flag for a moderator

VM have given no indication of when MAC filtering will be fixed on the Hub 3 and are unlikely to say anything other than "it is being worked on" until it is fixed, based on responses to previous hub issues.

If the workaround doesn't work for you or you need MAC filtering then the only other thing I can suggest is put the hub into modem mode and use a third party router that has working MAC filtering.

tkdsouth
On our wavelength
Message 7 of 11
Flag for a moderator

this doesnt work
Eddie98
Dialled in
Message 8 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Hi tkdsouth

Not sure I understand you. What doesn't work?

If you set the SH3 to modem only and connect a separate router to it then it is entirely dependent on the functionality of the separate router whether you can MAC filter?

0 Kudos
nunkNunk
Tuning in
Message 9 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Hi, 

I found this app on the app store really easy for controlling Mac Filtering on the Hub 3.. 

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/wifi-blocker/id1236583707

0 Kudos
nunkNunk
Tuning in
Message 10 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Hi, 

I found Mac Filtering (timed access) always blocks, and not working from time.  

I found this app on the app store really easy for mac filtering on the Hub 3.. 

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/wifi-blocker/id1236583707

0 Kudos