Menu
cottrela
Joining in
Message 1 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Low broadband speeds especially at peak times

Hi,

My broadband is supposed to be a 50 Mbps line, but the highest download I can get is 16 Mbps and at peak times it is often much lower (e.g. < 5 Mbps). I have disconnected everything except my router and my server so I am sure that the issue is downstream of my computers.

I am trying to diagnose the fault myself as Virgin Media are not able to fix.

Looking at my SuperHub logs, I can see a lot of errors:-

Logs from my broadband hubLogs from my broadband hub

And the number of pre RS errors is growing quickly on DS-4 (approx 5 per second):-

VM_downstream.png

Does anyone know if the sorts of errors are within a normal range?

Thanks,

Adam

0 Kudos

Helpful Answers
Message 2 of 4
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Low broadband speeds especially at peak times

Hi Cottrela,

Welcome to the forum and sorry to hear you're getting poor speeds. I've just checked your connection and can see that you are affected by contention fault F004973707. This will cause poor speeds at peak times such as evenings and weekends and is due for review 19/04/17.

The do's and don'ts. Keep the community welcoming for all. Follow the house rules

0 Kudos

All Replies
Message 2 of 4
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Hi Cottrela,

Welcome to the forum and sorry to hear you're getting poor speeds. I've just checked your connection and can see that you are affected by contention fault F004973707. This will cause poor speeds at peak times such as evenings and weekends and is due for review 19/04/17.

The do's and don'ts. Keep the community welcoming for all. Follow the house rules

0 Kudos
cottrela
Joining in
Message 3 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Dear John,

Thank you for checking into this issue. It is good to know that it has been logged as a fault already.

Can I just ask what the possible review outcomes are?

And, is there a way for me to find out the result from the review later this year?

Regards,
Adam
0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 4 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Hi Adam,

Thanks for posting back here.

In regards to high peak time traffic faults for the engineers to improve bandwidth, it can involve adding extra downstream/upstream channels, hardware upgrades of the local network, which will require planning permission. Nearer the review date the engineers will assess the issue and if there has been an improvement the fault will be closed or the engineers will continue with additional work.

By all means, post back here for further updates on this fault and we can check it for you.

Regards

Sam

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

0 Kudos