Menu
cosso1
Tuning in
Message 1 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Loss of wifi Super Hub 3

I have been having problems with my wifi connections over the past few days, I am getting full strength to the router, but very rarely getting an internet connection, my wired connections are all working fine. I did have an issue a couple of months back, very similar, and Virgin altered a few settings in the hub. All seemed ok, but now this issue has come back. I have reset the router, turned off and on, on devices forgot network and rejoined, but still the problem is still there. I can be right next to the router, as I say the wifi connection to the hub is always fine, just very rarely getting internet.

I used the online chat earlier to try to resolve and was told there is an issue with the internet at the moment and will be resolved by 27th February. I have done a service status check for my area and there are no known issues. Also I am getting internet via Ethernet, so I believe there is a problem with the hub.

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Re: Loss of wifi Super Hub 3

Wireless reception is affected by many factors like Range, Client hardware, the Topograpy of your home, and the big killer, Wireless interference.

First of all, I would ensure the Hub is placed in a central, open position, away from obstacles and electrical devices.

Have you seperated the 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz network SSIDs on the Hub 3?

You could try changing the wireless channel manually. Downloading a wireless scanner like InSSIDer for Windows or WiFiAnalyser for Android would help by showing you the surrounding wireless networks, the channels they are broadcasting on, and their signal strengths, so you can select the best wireless channel.
Bear in mind that the wifi scanner will not show interference from other sources of wireless interference such as A\V streaming devices, Baby monitors, Chordless phones, Microwave ovens, Plasma TVs, Security systems, etc.

Setting the Hub's radio setting to 300Mbps (or 40Mhz channel) is not advised on the 2.4GHz band as it takes up over half of the available spectrum, making it prone to wireless interference..

Using the wider, usually less congested 5Ghz band could help, if your client devices support it.

cosso1
Tuning in
Message 3 of 6
Flag for a moderator

A couple of months back we had a similar problem and Virgin altered a few settings within the hub, it worked for a while, but past few days started losing wifi with different devices, even when you have the device next to the hub. All wifi devices are getting a strong connection with the hub, but losing internet. To test all devices wifi internet connectivity, I set my own mobile phone as an internet hotspot, positioned next to the hub and all devices connect and also get internet with no issues.

I chatted with Virgin tech team earlier and they say there's an issue in the area and will be resolved by 27th February, but no issue comes up on the service status. It's become a regular issue with wifi on these hubs and the older ones, I just don't think they can handle the load and it just messes them up. In my opinion, I believe the hub is faulty, as I have proved with others, I've had over the years. I have tested the connection coming to the house and all is good, this PC I'm on now is wired directly into the hub (Ethernet 1) and has worked perfectly with no issues. I have my NAS drive connected (Ethernet 2) and is picked up by the whole network. I have a Powerline connected (Ethernet 3) all other powerline adapters showing connected to network fine, but can only get internet connection on 1 powerline connected device at a time. Yes I have quite a few things on my network and this is why I say the superhub 3 just can't cope with the load, even though the tech spec says it should.

We'll see what happens in the next couple of days, but I would much rather Virgin book in for a replacement hub now, rather than later, as they have in the past, wasting time. Then I'll buy a decent router and put the new hub in modem mode.

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 4 of 6
Flag for a moderator

cosso1 wrote:

A couple of months back we had a similar problem and Virgin altered a few settings within the hub, it worked for a while, but past few days started losing wifi with different devices, even when you have the device next to the hub. All wifi devices are getting a strong connection with the hub, but losing internet. To test all devices wifi internet connectivity, I set my own mobile phone as an internet hotspot, positioned next to the hub and all devices connect and also get internet with no issues.

VM probably blindly changed your wireless channel moving you to a clearer channel more by luck than judgement. .Apart from changing your wireless radio settings and rebooting the hub, there is little else they can do.

Wireless environents are dynamic and the best channel one day may not be the best channel another, depending on your wireless environment. Wireless connections can drop even with a strong signal, all it takes is a strong burst of noise on the frequency you are using.

Was your wireless hotspot using the same wireless channel as the hub?  I take it you tested this over a few days, as your internet connection was not dropping for a few days after customer services "changed your settings"

I chatted with Virgin tech team earlier and they say there's an issue in the area and will be resolved by 27th February, but no issue comes up on the service status. It's become a regular issue with wifi on these hubs and the older ones, I just don't think they can handle the load and it just messes them up. In my opinion, I believe the hub is faulty, as I have proved with others, I've had over the years. I have tested the connection coming to the house and all is good, this PC I'm on now is wired directly into the hub (Ethernet 1) and has worked perfectly with no issues. I have my NAS drive connected (Ethernet 2) and is picked up by the whole network. I have a Powerline connected (Ethernet 3) all other powerline adapters showing connected to network fine, but can only get internet connection on 1 powerline connected device at a time. Yes I have quite a few things on my network and this is why I say the superhub 3 just can't cope with the load, even though the tech spec says it should.

Issues in the area would affect your wired connection as well,  the issues in your area would not have affected your wireless signal only.

Wired connections are completely different to wireless, as they are not affected by the many external factors that affect wireless, your wired connections working perfectly only proves there is nothing wrong with your local circuit and your internet connection is working just fine.

The most common cause of wireless dropouts is down to wireless interference by far. This is not a VM problem or any other ISP's problem it is global.

We'll see what happens in the next couple of days, but I would much rather Virgin book in for a replacement hub now, rather than later, as they have in the past, wasting time. Then I'll buy a decent router and put the new hub in modem mode.

You have not provided any useful diagnostic information on the problem like if you have tried changing wireless channel, what wireless bands are dropping, actual wireless signal strengths etc. just flawed logic that the Hub 3 cannot handle the load in your opinion. It may well be a faulty Hub 3, but without diagnostic evidence ruling out other factors it is impossible to tell

You say the Hub 3 cannot handle the load and yet you want another one. Personally. I would buy a decent third party router now, it should provide a better wireless signal and may solve your problems.

0 Kudos
cosso1
Tuning in
Message 5 of 6
Flag for a moderator

As far as I'm concerned, I've provided very good information of actual different scenarios, what's working and what isn't by doing different things. As for useful diagnostic information, that can be gathered very easily by Virgin, as they did a couple of months back, when I gave access to my PC and they took control.
Late last night, the PC that I said had been working with no issues, all of a sudden started losing wired internet connection, I rebooted the PC and could not get a connection through Ethernet, but WiFi working fine. I am now on my phone using the WiFi well out the way of the router, and its working great, but still have no connection via any wired devices.
This to me, would suggest there is an electronics failure within the hub. A lot of the time with Virgin, they try to be to technical and not look at facts and think of what the simplest solution and on past experience, it has always turned out to be a faulty hub, generally a component failing inside the hub, which makes perfect sense.
I say I'll consider a third party router, when I'm supplied another hub, as in my opinion, this hub is faulty and may still get issues in modem mode, whereas a new one, will be used in modem mode from day one and hopefully not burn any components out.
As I've said before, I've been down this road many times during the time I've been a customer of there's, and I've been a customer since the very beginning of Diamond Cable days. And the only fix that has resolved these issues, has been to physically change for new equipment as they've gone faulty.
0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 6 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Hi cosso1,

I am sorry for your recent Wi-Fi issues. I have just tested your connection and can see a number of devices connected wirelessly, so it looks like you've already managed to get this resolved.

But, if it recurs, please try the advice from the following links:
Optimising your Hub's wireless signal

Changing your Hub's wireless channel

Restore your Hub to factory default settings

If those fail to help then please post an update and we'll be in touch to offer support Smiley Happy

Jen
Forum Team

0 Kudos