Menu
Highlighted
camcavana
Joining in
Message 1 of 2
Flag for a moderator

Losing wifi

Over the past few months I have had to reboot my super hub at least once a week which is a pain as I have two devices using port forwarding and their addresses change on a reboot.

Just recently I noticed my wifi seemed slow so ran a speedtest and found wired gave me 70mbs 5g 55mbs but lucky to get 10mbs on 2.4g.

My laptop only sees 2.4g so any help to improve this would be appreciated.

Cheers

Cam

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 2
Flag for a moderator

Re: Losing wifi

Wireless reception is affected by many factors like Range, Client hardware, the Topograpy of your home, and the big killer, Wireless interference.

First of all, I would ensure the Hub is placed in a central, open position, away from obstacles and electrical devices.

You could try changing the wireless channel manually. Downloading a wireless scanner like InSSIDer for Windows or WiFiAnalyser for Android would help by showing you the surrounding wireless networks, the channels they are broadcasting on, and their signal strengths, so you can select the best wireless channel.
Bear in mind that the wifi scanner will not show interference from other sources of wireless interference such as A\V streaming devices, Baby monitors, Chordless phones, Microwave ovens, Plasma TVs, Security systems, etc.

Setting the Hub's radio setting to 300Mbps (or 40Mhz channel) is not advised on the 2.4GHz band as it takes up over half of the available spectrum, making it prone to wireless interference..

0 Kudos