Menu
LukeTim
Joining in
Message 1 of 9
Flag for a moderator

London Underground SSL Certificate

I recently got my first iPhone and so I am now running iOS 10. I used to use underground wifi (though it rarely worked properly - login page seldom loaded) on my old Android phone. And so I would like to use the wifi with my iPhone. However, when I connect and login in my iPhone I am presented with this screen: https://goo.gl/photos/4RNpfutM95QyASBQ6

The SSL certificate is untrusted by iOS 10. Though I am reluctant to override this myself, I never used to see any such warning on Android though I presume it was the same certificate.

Is this a real issue or is there something I need to do? I don't know whether maybe the Symantec root CA is not installed in iOS as a trusted authority or there is something else about the configuration. iOS gives little information about why it is untrusted.
0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Re: London Underground SSL Certificate

There are two ways to connect in the Underground.

One is via the login page on the open SSID and entering your My Virgin Media or Mobile Your Account details. I'm not aware of any certificates that this option installs on a device - but I've never tried it with an iOS device personally.

However you can now also download and install the Virgin Media WiFi app. This pre-configures your phone so that it'll automatically connect when you're in London Underground to the secure SSID, and also at many other public WiFi hotspots without having to login.

www.virginmedia.com/virginmediawifi

Downloading the app should ensure that any certificates installed are properly trusted by iOS 10. I've installed it on my iPad and had no issues or warning when completing the setup.

I work for Virgin Media - but all opinions posted here are my own
0 Kudos
LukeTim
Joining in
Message 3 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Thanks Ben! Just one question. Does this app require me to be a Virgin Mobile or Virgin Media customer? I have been in the past but currently I am with Three and TalkTalk.
0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 4 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Ah ok, the Virgin Media WiFi app does require you to be a Virgin Media customer.

If you're not a Virgin Media customer, then you'll need to connect to the open 'Virgin Media WiFi' London Underground SSID, following the instructions from Three.

There is another secure 'Virgin Media' SSID which is for Virgin Media WiFi only, and I think it could have been this one you were trying to use when you had the certificate issue.
0 Kudos
LukeTim
Joining in
Message 5 of 9
Flag for a moderator

It was definitely the open one I was using. It loaded the login screen, I selected Three as my mobile provider, and then I got the untrusted certificate screen.
0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 6 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Right, I've done a bit of a search and can see this was reported earlier this year as being a problem with iOS:

http://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Networking-and-wireless/Security-Certificate-for-London-Undergro...

So in this case I would say for now it's OK to Trust the certificate, but I'll also send this thread and the other one on to some colleagues who can raise it with the people who look after the service.
0 Kudos
benj_lb
Joining in
Message 7 of 9
Flag for a moderator

BenMcr wrote:
Right, I've done a bit of a search and can see this was reported earlier this year as being a problem with iOS:

http://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Networking-and-wireless/Security-Certificate-for-London-Undergro...

So in this case I would say for now it's OK to Trust the certificate, but I'll also send this thread and the other one on to some colleagues who can raise it with the people who look after the service.

Has this issue been resolved? 

You should never trust a certificate like this. It is a security risk. 

0 Kudos
gdoglz
Joining in
Message 8 of 9
Flag for a moderator

I'm having the same issue on Android with O2 pay as you go. It used to work fine until about a month ago. I've been in touch with Virgin Media customer service via twitter and was finally advised to buy a Virgin's 'WiFi pass' to access the service, which doesn't really help imo

Wondering if the server certificate has expired on the server side.

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 9 of 9
Flag for a moderator

If you're having an issue with the London Underground access as an O2 customer then you need to go through to O2 for support.

Although Virgin Media provide the wireless network, access is controlled and authorised by O2's systems as part of the service agreement that O2 have with Virgin Media.

0 Kudos