Menu
jb2015
Joining in
Message 1 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Linux Mint 18

Hi, I have being trying to install Linux Mint on to my Pc and failed! I found a possible reason why, When installing Linux It needs to connect to the internet and for some reason I am unable to connect to the internet via Virgin Media. 

Can anyone tell me in simple terms (if Possible) how do I connect to Virgin Media via Linux Mint 18 please. I can connect to Virgin Media when using Windows Okay.

0 Kudos
Sephiroth
Alessandro Volta
Message 2 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Re: Linux Mint 18

I hope a Linux Mint guru can provide more information if necessary, but since you don't mention whether or not you are attempting the connection wirelessly, I'd say ensure that the PC is connect to the Hub wired. The connection to the Internet is then assured subject to Linux Mint 18 installer being Internet ready.

Does this link help?

https://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?t=222817

Seph - ( DEFROCKED - My advice is at your risk)

0 Kudos
jb2015
Joining in
Message 3 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Hi, Thanks for your reply, My internet connection is wired only. 

I can start to install linux Mint 18 and after a while it gets to the stage where it needs to download something from the Internet and can't because it is unable to for some reason! I can see I am connected to the router because I can see the connection icon in the bottom right corner, I just don't get any traffic passing through the router and my PC and the internet for some reason.

0 Kudos
auryx
On our wavelength
Message 4 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Hi there,

Some diagnostic questions to consider:

If it works from Windows ok - I presume this is on the same computer? Or a different device?

If a different device, do you know the internet connection works on the computer you're installing Mint on? (In other words, could it be a problem with the underlying computer network adaptor/hardware, rather than a Mint issue).

Are you installing Mint from a Live CD/DVD version of the distro? If so, if you boot into the Live CD environment (rather than trying to install to your hard disk), does the network work from there?

These should help you narrow down the issue, hopefully. Good luck.

0 Kudos
Dominatez
Up to speed
Message 5 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Open a console window and type this in.

sudo apt-get install bcmwl-kernel-source

0 Kudos
jb2015
Joining in
Message 6 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Hi, I have Linux Mint 18 installed now took three hours, however, for some reason the hard drive does not show in windows file manager it showed before installing L mint!!

It shows in Disk manager as an active primary partition. I don't get an option on boot to choose an OS on boot.

The PC is very old about 10 years so maybe just not suitable. I was trying to bring the PC new life rather than spend money on a new one.

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 7 of 11
Flag for a moderator

To select an OS on boot up you will need a bootloader either by configuring Linux's GRUB or download a bootloader like Easy BCD

0 Kudos
jb2015
Joining in
Message 8 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Hi thank you for the tip about EasyBCD. I managed to install Linux Mint 17 and I am able to load Mint 17 from the boot selection page at start up.

The problem I have is when starting Fire Fox even though I am connected to the internet (via cable connection to the router) no web page will load. I have used the Sudo apt-get install bcmwl-kernel-source.

Any suggestions would be welcome thank you.

John.

0 Kudos
jb2015
Joining in
Message 9 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Hi, I have tried live boot with Linux mint 17 and 18 and was unable to connect to the Internet even though the earthanet icon bottom right of the screen shows I am connected to the net.

0 Kudos
jb2015
Joining in
Message 10 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Thought I would let everyone know how I solved my connection problem with Linux Mint 17.

I turned off the Virgin web based Antivirus. This enabled me to connect to the Internet via Linux Mint 17.

0 Kudos