Menu
AGrosse
Tuning in
Message 1 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Line Stability Query

Hi all,

Sorry I'm rather new here and I'd like some advice (maybe from the forums team?)

So recently I had a new line fitted (Vivid 200 Gamer). Along with the Super Hub 3, I had ensured that this had finished applying all firmware patches. Then I've put this into Modem mode (with hopes that the port flapping issues had been fixed since early 2016). 

I had then connected a AC5300 by ASUS, configured appropriately. 

I'll try break everything down in an attempt to cover everything in a thorough manner. 

1. I'm seeing unreliable speeds (i dont think my area is over provisioned / utilised). 
2. Votalges and things seem fine no lower than -3.8 to 0.07. Depending on channel for downstream. I think the range is -8 to +10 correct? 
3. Upstream seems solid 
4. My AC5300 is perfectly fine and was fine on BT Infinity 2 to which i was getting 79.9MBPS down and 20 up. With zero issues.

I had been looking around on the forums and found that people often suggest setting up the "think broadband network monitor" I have done this. 

Results: http://www.thinkbroadband.com/ping/share-large/c69d3e797132c3d6ed426b213aa8e60b-28-02-2017.png 

This looks fairly unstable to me and i shouldn't be seeing a jitter of what seems to be 60ms? On BT my line jitter was 0.5 MAX to London. 

During peak times I'm only getting around 40mbps. off-peak one in ten speed tests yeild 200mbps down, with an average of about 70 to 100mbps. 

I had even run several large file download tests from servers that own and I'm only getting a max of about 5MB/s. Whereas on BT i could max my line at about 9.2MB/s. 

The servers are connected via 10gbe and have no upstream caps. I do have an engineer due out Satruday 4th in the AM.

I suppose overall is this something i should just "accept" on Virgin? Begrudgingly.

Please do pass comments thought it best to check in with you experienced users Smiley Happy 

Best,

Al

0 Kudos
AGrosse
Tuning in
Message 2 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Re: Line Stability Query

Going to reply to this to "bump" it as it got swallowed into the nether originally. 

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 3 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Hi AGrosse,

I'm honestly really sorry that we've not reached your post before now. But I shall do my best to investigate this issue for you.

Firstly I shall need to locate your Hub details so please reply to my PM (purple envelope icon, top right of page) with the requested information and I'll see what I can do Smiley Happy

Jen
Forum Team

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 4 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Hi AGrosse,

Thanks for providing that information Smiley Happy

Testing your connection I see that you are affected by high peak time congestion, fault ref: F003684539. The planned network upgrade is hoped to take place later this year with a preliminary review date scheduled for 17/05/2017. 

I was unable to identify any other problems  with your Hub or the network so feel that that fault is the cause of the stability issues you report Smiley Sad

Sorry for this but do feel free to post a request on here if you'd like future updates.

Jen
Forum Team

0 Kudos
AGrosse
Tuning in
Message 5 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Hi there,

Thank you for the response. I'm not too happy with this, I was told by your retention's team that this would be fixed by the end of April. However you're now saying its only getting "reviewed" in May? 

If this isn't resolved by the end of April as promised (which I have in a recording). I will be leaving you. 

Following on from that, if you continue to connect new customers in this area I will be continuing my conversation with Ofcom and the Information Commissioners Office. As I highly doubt your sales team are informing them of such issues just like they failed to do so when I signed on.

Continually signing on new customers to an already overloaded network is poor business practise and is very disrespectful to your existing customers in the area of Barnsley. 

Please do escalate this for me. 

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 6 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Hi there AGrosse,

Thanks for getting back to us.

With regards to traffic faults, these will have review dates rather than fix dates, due to the work that is required to improve bandwidth and I apologise for the miss-information. 

To discuss this further I have sent you a Private Message.

Regards

Sam

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

0 Kudos