Menu
Pablo27
Joining in
Message 1 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Laptops drop connection,Win 10 - HUB 3.0.

I've had endless problems since receiving a 3.0 Hub just over a month ago with trying to keep a connection on both of the Laptops in my house. With the old hub they both worked fine, even when updated to Win 10, however the old hub developed a fault and I received the 3.0 as a replacement. I have made numerous calls to VM and have spoken to technicians from India and the UK, they all insist that it is my laptops that are at fault. I have trawled the boards on many forums including this one and have tried everything that I has been suggested. Having finally admitted defeat I went on Twitter to see if VM could help me there before I make the switch to Sky, they have sent me here and asked me to ask the question myself.

I must make it clear that my laptops both work fine at my work, at McDonalds and anywhere else that I have tried, although I have not tried another VM router at a different location. Also I need to add that very occasionally  have had one or the other connect and not drop out for a number of hours, this as recent as Sunday night.

The Indian technicians that I spoke to this week tried altering the DHCP and also added a guest wifi, but neither worked, one also used the remote assistance but eventually said my laptop was at fault, then that very same evening I plugged it in at work and it worked fine !

If anyone has anything that I can try please let me know as I don't really want to make the switch but it is pointless me having a broadband that will only connect to phones and tablets.

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Re: Laptops drop connection,Win 10 - HUB 3.0.

Have you tried seperating the 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz networks on the hub, by giving them seperate SSIDs?

You could check that the wireless drivers for your laptop wireless adapters are up to date according to the adapter's manufacturer's website.

You could try using WPA2 with AES wireless encryption.

0 Kudos
Pablo27
Joining in
Message 3 of 10
Flag for a moderator

The only thing that I have tried from your suggestions is checking that the wireless adaptors are up to date, also tried rolling them back.

The technician yesterday was making adjustments on the hub but didn't tell me what he had tried, we did have to reset our mobiles and tablets afterwards.

Could you please guide on making the first and last changes that you suggest ?

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 4 of 10
Flag for a moderator

To change the SSIDs see here

The encryption mode should be in the same place as changing your password.

It maybe worth trying to optimise your wireless connection, some advise here.

How are the latops performing when connected directly to the hub by ethernet cable? It would be worth testing.

0 Kudos
Pablo27
Joining in
Message 5 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Thank you for that info, I will give it a go tomorrow afternoon.

They work fine on the Ethernet cable, I haven't compared any speed tests though, well I haven't been able to at the moment.

0 Kudos
Pablo27
Joining in
Message 6 of 10
Flag for a moderator

None of the suggestions worked for me, so I am calling yet again tomorrow as maybe the fault is with this particular Hub, mind you I am very surprised at how busy this forum is , perhaps it is just a poor quality product ?

0 Kudos
Andy1975
Fibre optic
Message 7 of 10
Flag for a moderator

I think Griffin is on the right lines with the 2.4ghz and 5Ghz thats causing the issues, it sounds like your laptops are older machines upgraded to win 10? more than likely not able or capable of running 5Ghz which your work and mac-d's wouldnt be broadcasting.

If you ok in doing so try turning the 5Ghz off in the superhub and just use the 2.4Ghz with WPA2 encryption and see how you get on.... or just plug a decent router into the hub and connect to that instead Smiley Tongue lol

0 Kudos
Pablo27
Joining in
Message 8 of 10
Flag for a moderator

I called again yesterday and had a UK tech guy run a remote assistance, I think he tried the 2.4Ghz method but didn't have any luck. At the end of the call he said that he would talk to his boss and see if they could send out an older model Hub, he said they would call back to confirm but never did ! So I have to call them back yet again and probably run through the whole procedure once more.

It is true that both laptops are older machines, a HP Pavilion 2 at years and an ASUS at around 4 years, would it be worth me trying rolling back to Windows 8 ?

0 Kudos
Andy1975
Fibre optic
Message 9 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Just so many "it could be" that we could be here all week trying stuff, For what its worth it sounds like the 2.4Ghz on the superhub is not seperating or is having issues.

If it was me i would switch the superhub into modem mode and plug a decent DSL router in and connect to that instead, i know its not really a fix and more of a workaround but i think your in for alot of messing about.

0 Kudos
Pablo27
Joining in
Message 10 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Okay my problem with both Laptops was eventually solved by switching back to a 2.5 Superhub. This was sent out by post after yet another request for help. An engineer was booked for the day of the hub's arrival, but by the time he arrived I had it all set up and running perfectly. I haven't had any problems since with either Laptop, so this is definitely an answer to anyone that may be suffering similar issues with the 3.0 Superhub. 

I've noticed that the range of the 2.5 is better than the 3.0 too, my mobile connects when I'm in my garage whereas it dropped out with the 3.0 Hub.

Thank you for the replies that I received .

0 Kudos