Menu
hollyann95
Joining in
Message 1 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Laptop won't connect to my brand new Hub 3.0

Had my broadband installed yesterday (Hub 3.0) and it works fine with my Apple devices but absolutely will not connect to my laptop. In fact, my laptop can't even find it. I have spent all day changing settings, re-setting settings, spoke for hours to Virgin themselves and still no solution. I asked if somebody could come and sort it as I feel it's not very good service to be left with something that I can't use, the whole reason why I bought the contract in the first place! They said I would have to pay.

It's a Windows 10 laptop, never ever had this problem before and continues to pick up my neighbours broadband. Using a cable isn't an option, it's meant to be wireless and I need to be able to take it into different rooms in the house. So frustrated, and more frustrated that they VM want me to pay for somebody to sort it!

Please please somebody must know a solution to this. Thanks
0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Re: Laptop won't connect to my brand new Hub 3.0

As delivered, the Hub 3.0 comes with a single SSID for both the 2.4GHz and 5GHz wifi bands.

Issues like you are having can sometimes be resolved by separating this SSID into two, allowing individual devices to decide which band to connect to.

Logon to the hub and the settings can be found in the Wireless section of Advance Settings, under Security (if I recall correctly).

Logon at 192.168.0.1 and the password for the hub is written on the hub (not the wifi password).

0 Kudos
hollyann95
Joining in
Message 3 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Hi, thanks for your reply.

We followed your advice last night but options for the 5GHz are completely "grey" so you can't click to change any of the options. It's really difficult because the internet won't connect I can't use my laptop to look properly as it's constantly asking for an internet connection.

Never had this problem before on other Virgin Hubs or other broadband (e.g. BT, Talk Talk) I really don't know what to do
0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 4 of 4
Flag for a moderator

possible you might have disabled the 5ghz band, if you've been playing with all the settings possible best to have reset to defaults https://help.virginmedia.com/system/templates/selfservice/vm/help/customer/locale/en-GB/portal/20030... and once your back online follow Ernie advice.
----------------------------------------------------------
If someone's helped you out say thanks by clicking on the thumbs up. If someone's solved your problem, why not mark their message as an Accepted Solution
0 Kudos