Menu
rickyvann
Tuning in
Message 1 of 18
Flag for a moderator

LIFX Bulbs and Superhub

Hello!

I wonder if anyone on here can help?

I've just got an LIFX Color 1000 WiFi bulb. I'm having a complete nightmare trying to connect this to my Superhub. I connected to the bulb via my phone, sent all the correct details to the bulb and then it fails to connect to the WiFi.

So far I've tried resetting the Superhub to original settings. Updating the firmware on the bulb and making sure everything is correct on the Superhub to work with the bulb. All of this still has not helped get the bulb connected.

I have an office in the garden with a hard wire from the Superhub to another wireless router out there. I connected the bulb to that WiFi successfully and it worked. But still doesn't work on the Superhub's WiFi.

Does anyone have any suggestions or use an LIFX bulb with their Superhub? Any help would be much appreciated!

Tags (3)
0 Kudos
AJ_10CC
Joining in
Message 2 of 18
Flag for a moderator

Re: LIFX Bulbs and Superhub

Hi Rick,

I've got the same problem.  Tried everything to no avail.  LIFX support came back to me and have asked for this info, which I've yet to reply to them on.  Let me know if you get anywhere... I'm going to see if they've got any magic answer.  

• Brand & Model of router/Access Point
  • How far are the bulbs from the AP
  • Security settings on your network (WEP (unsupported), WPA/WPA2)
  • Type of network (2.4GHz (supported) or 5GHz (unsupported))
  • What channel your network is running on (We currently don't support channels 12, 13, & 14)
  • DHCP lease time
  • Are you in an apartment complex or neighborhood with a lot of other networks in close proximity?
  • What device and software versions are you using (iOS or Android)

Andy

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 18
Flag for a moderator

Hi AJ_10CC,

Thanks for posting, though not sure why the Superhub won't connect with the LIFX bulb, does it see the SSID and if so any error message when trying to get connected?

Does changing the wireless channel or default security settings help?

Cheers

Ralph_R
Forum Moderator

The do's and don'ts. Keep the community welcoming for all. Follow the house rules

0 Kudos
rickyvann
Tuning in
Message 4 of 18
Flag for a moderator

Hi Andy,

At least I'm not the only one with this problem! What model of Superhub do you have? I'm going to try this bulb on a colleague's Superhub of the same model to see if I have the same issue.

I spent over an hour on the phone to different people at Virgin Media. I explained that this is new technology and works with newer routers, just not the Superhub. One advisor came back saying, "It works with the iPhone 6, that's new technology". It's annoying that nobody was really taking the problem seriously!

I'm hoping to test out the bulb on another Superhub next week, so will update you on how it goes.

0 Kudos
AJ_10CC
Joining in
Message 5 of 18
Flag for a moderator

hi Rick - good luck with that - interested to hear how you get on.  

Will let you know on the hub version. 

0 Kudos
rickyvann
Tuning in
Message 6 of 18
Flag for a moderator

Hello!

So the Superhub 2 arrived today. Connected the LIFX bulb to the 2.4Ghz signal and it connected instantly. So I can only assume it must be something to do with the original Superhub.

If you can upgrade your broadband speed and get a new Superhub, then definitely give it a go! If not try and get a new Superhub 2 sent out to you. Now you know you're not the only one with the same problem! Smiley Happy
0 Kudos
AJ_10CC
Joining in
Message 7 of 18
Flag for a moderator

I changed the channel to 6 and 11 for 2.4 Ghz but no joy.  I removed security settings, and then put back to WPS.

I guess if the new version of the superhub 2 works, and the older version (mine) doesn't, the thing I need to establish is what is the key difference between the 2 that has changed?   Any guidance very much appreciated!!

The tech answers I gave to LIFX are here:

• Brand & Model of router/Access Point - ANSWER: IT IS A VIRGIN MEDIA SUPER HUB - THE FULL SPECS ARE HERE.  IT IS A NETGEAR VMDG480
  • How far are the bulbs from the AP   ANSWER: 5 METRES, AM SUCCESSFULLY USING OTHER WIRELESS DEVICES MUCH FURTHER AWAY IN THE HOUSE.
  • Security settings on your network (WEP (unsupported), WPA/WPA2) ANSWER: WPA2-PSK
  • Type of network (2.4GHz (supported) or 5GHz (unsupported))ANSWER: I'VE DISABLED 5GHZ, SO ONLY 2.4
  • What channel your network is running on (We currently don't support channels 12, 13, & 14) ANSWER: CHANNEL 11
  • DHCP lease time ANSWER: 1 DAY
  • Are you in an apartment complex or neighborhood with a lot of other networks in close proximity? ANSWER: NO, DETACHED HOUSE, AWAY FROM OTHER HOUSES
  • What device and software versions are you using (iOS or Android)TRIED ON SAMSUNG S5, ANDROID VERSION 5.0, AND IPAD 9.1
0 Kudos
uc_india
Joining in
Message 8 of 18
Flag for a moderator

Hello, I have similar problem with Superhub 2. Did all the usual stuff with Channel, Frequency, Security, Guest network etc. No luck so far. Bulbs are ok as i have tested them using tethering / wifi hotspot. Any help appreciated.

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 9 of 18
Flag for a moderator

AJ_10CC wrote:

I changed the channel to 6 and 11 for 2.4 Ghz but no joy.  I removed security settings, and then put back to WPS.

I guess if the new version of the superhub 2 works, and the older version (mine) doesn't, the thing I need to establish is what is the key difference between the 2 that has changed?   Any guidance very much appreciated!!

The tech answers I gave to LIFX are here:

• Brand & Model of router/Access Point - ANSWER: IT IS A VIRGIN MEDIA SUPER HUB - THE FULL SPECS ARE HERE.  IT IS A NETGEAR VMDG480
  • How far are the bulbs from the AP   ANSWER: 5 METRES, AM SUCCESSFULLY USING OTHER WIRELESS DEVICES MUCH FURTHER AWAY IN THE HOUSE.
  • Security settings on your network (WEP (unsupported), WPA/WPA2) ANSWER: WPA2-PSK
  • Type of network (2.4GHz (supported) or 5GHz (unsupported))ANSWER: I'VE DISABLED 5GHZ, SO ONLY 2.4
  • What channel your network is running on (We currently don't support channels 12, 13, & 14) ANSWER: CHANNEL 11
  • DHCP lease time ANSWER: 1 DAY
  • Are you in an apartment complex or neighborhood with a lot of other networks in close proximity? ANSWER: NO, DETACHED HOUSE, AWAY FROM OTHER HOUSES
  • What device and software versions are you using (iOS or Android)TRIED ON SAMSUNG S5, ANDROID VERSION 5.0, AND IPAD 9.1

Yours is a Superhub 1. 

Superhubs are.
Superhub 1 (VMDG480)
Superhub 2 (VMDG485)
Superhub 2AC (VMDG490)
Hub 3.0 (VMDG505)

200Mb(SH2 SH2AC Hub 3.0), 2 X V6 TV XL, Phone M. 100Mb Business (Hitron Hub).
0 Kudos
uc_india
Joining in
Message 10 of 18
Flag for a moderator

Well I was not aware of two versions of SuperHubs - that is interesting..... guess a call to virgin media support then. I am not sure anything is left for me to try in VM SH2. Some threads (non VM) mention opening the port "56700". Not sure SH2 blocks everything by default, tying to open this asks for a specific ip address (port forwarding). Any thoughts on how to do this?

0 Kudos