Menu
AmazingGitBoy
Joining in
Message 41 of 51
Flag for a moderator

Re: L2TP/IPSec VPN Issue With Hub3.0

Hi Again,

Just a follow up, as it may be useful to somebody. I continued to fiddle with my hub this evening, and found it got into a state as I went through the config pages where it seemed to get a little confused about whether I'd changed settings or not and kept insisting I should save my changes over and over again. I went through the loop with it a few times, and then out of concern said no and asked it to reboot. It took a little while to come back, - but when it did I seemingly now have a working L2TP connection via the Hub and have been able to spend a couple of hours using it. Hooray! It's a little concerning that I still have no idea why it now is working (as I absolutely have done nothing new to warrant this), and I did have previous bursts of seeing it 'kind of' work for short periods of time previously, which it then gave up on subsequently, so who knows if it'll last. Thought I'd mention it, all the same.

The main changes I had made had been turning the firewall off, and back on, putting my machine in the DMZ zone, and then cancelling it, and looking at the port forwarding pages (although I didn't actually make any changes there). I did experiment with changing the MTU value to 1400 (following advice from another post) and then put it back to 1500.

Cheers

0 Kudos
Grantmk
Joining in
Message 42 of 51
Flag for a moderator

I’m also having this issue on superhub 2. It had been working fine for a couple of years but I had to do a factory reset and am now unable to accesvia l2tp. PPTP is working fine on my windows laptop but that isn’t an option for iOS. If anyone at Virgin wants further information I am happy to provide it.

0 Kudos
ashleypoole
Settling in
Message 43 of 51
Flag for a moderator

I also have this issue! Virgin really need to sort this out as there's plenty of threads about this issue and I think the phone support isn't that helpful.

Issue is only affecting the router with Windows VPN client for me. If I tether from my phone and test, it works fine which proves the issue is linked with the router. If the recommendation is to put a router behind the superhub, Virgin need to be supplying these as I'm paying for usable Wifi.

I'm using BIG-IP Edge client by F5 on Windows 10 if that helps.

Shelby152
Tuning in
Message 44 of 51
Flag for a moderator

I have literally tried working from one today and found this issue. What am I meant to do now as I work from home in my new role. I will be contacting someone from re press tomorrow as this contract is a waste of time and money!
0 Kudos
Shelby152
Tuning in
Message 45 of 51
Flag for a moderator

Jen. This isn’t working and we have just had the most unhelpful customer service call. If this can’t get sorted I will have to go back to Sky. Surely you shouldn’t be selling a contract that can’t facilitate Home working!!! Where can I send direct message to as your link isn’t working
0 Kudos
paulu781
On our wavelength
Message 46 of 51
Flag for a moderator

Same problem here.  For you firmware team here is the evidence that it is the Hub 3.

(I'm running a VPN server on a QNAP NAS box, behind the suberhub 3)

1. PPTP connection works fine

2. L2TP connection *works* from a Win 10 client, only if I say my VPN server (on NAS box) is on my internal address range (192.168.0.4 for example)

3. L2TP connection to my VPN server *fails* from a win10 client if I have the server address as my virgin public IP address 86.6.225.xxxx (note PPTP connection works in these circumstances).  All ports forwarded correctly, 500, 1701, 4500 UDP.

The hub is not passing the L2TP connection properly to my VPN server software.

It works on an internal address, but connecting through the hub fails.  It's the hub.

0 Kudos
Grantmk
Joining in
Message 47 of 51
Flag for a moderator

Not just Hub 3, hub 2 has the same issue. I work with several people all experiencing the same issue on both Hub 2 and Hub 3 and all started experiencing problems after rebooting their routers recently. Firmware issue?

0 Kudos
legacy1
Hero
Message 48 of 51
Flag for a moderator

Use modem mode will fix it.

0 Kudos
moorlie
Tuning in
Message 49 of 51
Flag for a moderator

I started experiencing these issues a few weeks ago, at which time I was on a Hub 2. Numerous calls to support lead nowhere and eventually an engineer was sent. Hub 2 switched to Hub 3 and a powered splitter was added where I never needed one before (many years now). Seemed to work, at least I could connect to VPN's for a while, but then started randomly being unable for periods of time.

For four weeks I suffered everything from no VPN access to client networks to sporadic periods . I was given a number of diffirent stories / reasons for the issues. To top it all off the Hub 3 has a green flashing wifi symbol that manual says means there is an issue, have since been told that it is a design feature and the manual is wrong - strange that the manual mentions the distinct lack of flashing things as a feature!

Anyway 4 weeks interference like this was more than I could tolerate. I spotted threads like this going back months and decided I had to take action. I downgraded my virgin package to basics and have had BT Infinity installed as well. That was at the beginning of this week. I use BT for work and Virgin Media for everything else.

0 Kudos
Australian
Tuning in
Message 50 of 51
Flag for a moderator

Modem mode is fine up until you have a few hundred mobile workers who frequently work from home and are limited to tethering their mobiles because their home internet prevents them from working.

So to be able to use their internet, I would have to buy 100+ routers for my home users and then send engineers to deploy them and then provide continuing resource to support them???

For my company i had to make the decision to source a new VPN solution. Disappointed to have to spend the money, but I cant see virgin offering to send me a hundred free routers... Virgin if you're out there and you're listening, i will happily PM you my office delivery address.

0 Kudos