Menu
garethedavies
Joining in
Message 1 of 42
Flag for a moderator

L2TP/IPSec VPN Issue With Hub3.0

I want to start by apologising for logging another post for this issue as I can see quite a few already. However, someone on the Virgin Media Twitter account told me that if I logged another post, someone would be in contact with me to help rectify the issue.

I currently have an issue with the Virgin Media Hub3.0 and L2TP/IPSec VPN connections. I recently moved house and in the process of moving, was upgraded from the SuperHub 2 to the Hub 3.0. I no longer have access to my SuperHub 2. The SuperHub 2 in my old house had no issues whatsoever with any VPN connectivity after changing the passthrough settings.

Since using the Hub3.0, I can connect to the VPN 95% of the time. It seems to work okay for a little while but it will suddenly experience issues that linger for a while, even after disconnecting and reconnecting to a VPN again. It mainly seems to be an issue with DNS as ping, browsing to un-cached sites and nslookup fail to FQDNs but pinging and web browsing to IP addresses seems to work. It also appears that even though the VPN is not split tunnel, DNS queries seem to be going to Virgin Media DNS servers when these issues occur.

I am a Senior Systems Administrator for a global company and having stable VPN connectivity to global sites is quite a big deal for when I need to work from home, which is frequently. As a result, we also have around 20 UK users who are having the same issue and cannot work from home as they are on Virgin Media with the Hub3.0. SuperHub 2 users and people on other ISPs are experiencing no issues whatsoever and I have tested this myself using other ISPs.

I know that the current recommendation is to put the Hub3.0 into Modem Mode and use my own router, which I will have to do shortly, but considering how many people are experiencing the same issues, it is not a long term solution. As I said above, I apologise for creating a post for something that is constantly discussed on the forums but I want to see how long it takes for someone from Virgin Media to reply and I want to know how long it is going to take to resolve the issue. If it continues much longer, I don't really have any other option but to move to a different ISP. Not really sure how difficult it is to get VPN capabilities working on a router when it has already worked on previous firmware / hardware.

Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 2 of 42
Flag for a moderator

Re: L2TP/IPSec VPN Issue With Hub3.0

Hey garethedavies,

Thanks for posting and a big welcome to the community Smiley Happy

I completely understand where you're coming from, this is a frustrating fault that we're well aware of.

I have a few idea which might help with this problem. I'll drop you a PM (purple envelope, top right) so we can keep in touch and discuss this further.

Thanks again for your post,

Take care.

Heather_J

Tech fan? Have you read our Digital life blog yet? Check it out

0 Kudos
Australian
Tuning in
Message 3 of 42
Flag for a moderator

Hi Virgin,

I am the Infrastructure Manager for a Software company in London and we are experiencing the same issue.

We have recently migrated over to Cisco Meraki for Client VPN and Meraki only supports L2TP IPsec PSK.

We have a few hundred mobile users who frequently work from home or outside the office and we are receiving increasing numbers of issues for inability to VPN in when using Virgin internet connections.

I have also recently taken on Virgin broadband at home and was not able to dial in last night for a service review with our Australian offices using my home broadband, and i was forced to tether a BT mobile phone for the conference.

I will be sourcing a replacement router and switching to modem mode as seems to be the only workable fix - my role requires that i be able to dial in, but my business is pushing me to find a solution for this which will remedy the issue for all of our Virgin home users without the need for the business to absorb considerable cost in replacing our networking hardware.

Any ideas would be very gratefully received.

Thanks,

Charlie.

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 4 of 42
Flag for a moderator

Hey Charlie,

Thanks for posting Smiley Happy

Welcome to the community Smiley Very Happy

I think you've got the right idea about the 3rd party router, especially if you need to access features which isn't supported by the Hub. Having said that, if you want to try port forwarding, see the instructions on this help article, you'll need to know the ports you need to access.

Hope you have a great weekend,

Take care.

Heather_J

0 Kudos
Australian
Tuning in
Message 5 of 42
Flag for a moderator

Hi Heather,

Is there a published list of well known ports and protocols which are not supported by the SuperHub 3 ?

0 Kudos
paul_taylor
Up to speed
Message 6 of 42
Flag for a moderator

Im a sys admin as well, looking after a global WAN.

I have my superhub in Modem mode, and use my own router running DD-WRT. No issues at all. I can use my own DNS, such as OpenDNS, and run pinned up tunnels to work without issue.

HP, Dell, IBM/Lenovo Certified Server Hardware engineer.
0 Kudos
Australian
Tuning in
Message 7 of 42
Flag for a moderator

I will be doing the same for myself... My issue though is with the dozens of users who need a reliable connection.

I cant go back to my CFO and tell him we will need to buy a few dozen routers, offer installation, configuration and support for them, then pray that none of our customer sites, conference centers, hotels or other venues use Virgin Internet.

0 Kudos
Australian
Tuning in
Message 8 of 42
Flag for a moderator

Hi Virgin,

Still having the same issues.

Any chance of a firmware update fix for this on the horizon?

I have now built separate L2TP, IKEv2, PPTP & SSTP VPN servers - in four separate sites and i receive the same problems / symptoms from both Windows and Mac machines, having tried several of each.

All of these devices can connect to any of my VPN servers if i tether my mobile phone, but with my shiny super fast Virgin cable ...  NADA !!!

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 9 of 42
Flag for a moderator

Hello again Charlie,

Sorry to hear you're still struggling with this. I don't know what ports you may need access too I'm afraid, but you can use the DMZ rule which would allow access to all ports. Have you got a 3rd party router you could use?

Catch you soon,

Take care.

Heather_J

0 Kudos
Australian
Tuning in
Message 10 of 42
Flag for a moderator

The point is Heather, that yes i could drop a device in behind yours and run my hub as a pass thru, but what about all my users with Virgin internet... I cannot ask all of them to buy a new device and i certainly cant task my team with setup and config of this not to mention ongoing support ...

What i need is a FIX ... A cure, not a bandaid.