Menu
marco772
Joining in
Message 1 of 25
Flag for a moderator

Kindle Paperwhite/Superhub connection issue resolved yet? Any progress on solving this?

Hi,

I bought a Paperwhite last year (when on a Netgear Router), set it up easily and downloaded a ton of books.

Now, months later, having got a new Virgin Superhub 2 router, the Kindle won't connect any more. Sometimes it seems to almost make it but then drops out and won't return. Having researched this a LOT over the last week it seems that this has been a common problem which some have resolved by going into the router settings and changing various security and speed settings. 

I've tried these methods with variable success but, turning my Superhub into Slowhub just to accommodate the Paperwhite when the other 10+ devices all work fine seems a ridiculous and deeply undesirable solution.

I've updated the Kindle to the latest firmware and had no problem connecting on other networks. Annoyingly, both the Kindle and router work fine, just, it seems, not with each other! 

I'm just wondering if there has been any further developments with this or a fix that doesn't involve dropping the speed down to 144mps or less? Even when I disable the 5Ghz (which I'd rather not) it will still only stay connected for a short while.

I tried opening a guest channel (which I also couldn't get it to connect to) but don't really know that much about routers (other than what I've learned from forums) so I'm groping in the dark a little with all this.

I've tried the different security settings and Greenfield (whatever that is) is already disabled. All to no avail!

It's really driving me mad.

Any advice, solutions or breakthroughs I may have missed would be most welcome!

It doesn't seem a lot to expect and I don;t even know which company I should be angry at!

Thanks for reading,

Mark

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 25
Flag for a moderator

Re: Kindle Paperwhite/Superhub connection issue resolved yet? Any progress on solving this?

marco772 wrote:

I bought a Paperwhite last year (when on a Netgear Router), set it up easily and downloaded a ton of books.

It's really driving me mad.

Any advice, solutions or breakthroughs I may have missed would be most welcome!

Hi Mark and welcome to the forum!

I can empathise with your exasperation as you've taken the trouble to research and try most if not all the obvious,  but there are several items that (you may have already done but) need clarification that may not immediately fix but hopefully aid progressing. 

While I don't personally have your specific  Kindle "Paperwhite" version, I have tested both original Keyboard and more recent Fire HD7  models on all 3 SuperHubs and several Kindle (and Superhub) firmware  combinations.  So it's helpful for other readers with the exact Kindle and Superhub hardware and firmware combinations as you to also test/comment/suggest perhaps?

1. Sanity check:  Kindle "settings"   and exact model (only assuming latest Paperweight 2nd Gen)  and firmware version (only assuming it's 5.6.1.0.6)?    Simple answer hopefully - Yes?
  2.  SH2 version (assuming it's latest SH2AC/VMDG490) with V1.01.11 firmware and not SH2(VMDG485) with V1.01.29?  (192.168.100.1, RouterStatus in top RH corner > Information > Software Version)
  3. It's a tad worrying that you can't connect with Guest Network + Security Disabled (SHub Advanced Settings > Wireless > ....Guest > SecurityMode > Disable)  or  perhaps the connection could not be sustained?
  4. You also need to clarify the exact (error messages/status) Signal strength from the Kindle "Wireless" status as well as confirming whether the SH2 DeviceConnectionStatus (192.168.100.1, Signin > RH icon on first page) actually lists the Kindle mac ,IP  and Connecton Time?
  5. Before you change anything further then ensure the configurations on both Kindle and SuperHub are backed up?
  6. Having previously noted the Kindle w/less mac address for appropriate 2.4/5GHz band you're testing then on SH2 (Advanced Settings > DHCP Reservations > Add Kindle mac/IP address) and also temporarily DISABLE Security Mode again. 
  7. If this still fails to retain Kindle WiFi connection then firstly perform a Factory Reset on SH2  and retest with 6. above again.  (Remember that both SH2 Admin access and wireless key/passwords/SSID's will have been reset to defaults on bottom of SH2 base label).
  8. If this still fails then perform RESET of your Kindle (before you restore any SH2 configuration!) and repeat 6. above

If all the above fails then simply restore both SH2 and Kindle configurations from your backups, post results of 1 - 4 inclusive and await further more relevant posts/ideas/suggestions from those that have your specific SH2/Kindle/Firmware combo.

HTH & Good luck.

Regards Tony
"Life is a Binary Inspired Turing Computed Hologram"(don't PM or @Mention me - in case ignoring you offends)
marco772
Joining in
Message 3 of 25
Flag for a moderator

Re: Kindle Paperwhite/Superhub connection issue resolved yet? Any progress on solving this?

Hi Tony,

Thanks for all that! Have just got back from Spain (where the WiFi worked perfectly with no problems at all!).

In answer to your points so far;

1. Yes

2. The firmware IS  V1.01.29. And Hardware V 3.11 (I don't know the relevance of this though).

3. Tried this again and "added device" using the Kindle's MAC but to no avail.

4. Under the connected devices, there is no mention of the Kindle. The error message I get is as follows (for whichever channel I try to connect to);

"Your Kindle is unable to connect to the WiFi network "*******". Press Set Up to enter your password again or set up your network manually. If you have issues...etc..."

Ahhhhh!!

Just did step 5 and it's working a treat! This is on the "proper" main channel too! 

Will repost if it all goes awry but for know this seems to have fixed this most annoying and time consuming of problems!

Thanks a million.

Mark

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 4 of 25
Flag for a moderator

marco772 wrote:

Ahhhhh!!

Just did step 5 and it's working a treat! This is on the "proper" main channel too! 

Will repost if it all goes awry but for know this seems to have fixed this most annoying and time consuming of problems!

Great News and not wishing to "rain on your parade" and be a complete party pooper but item 5 should not theoretically have "solved" anything as it's simply "backing up" your existing Kindle AND SH2 "configurations"?  Smiley Tongue

Best not to thank me yet and don't mark the thread answered until you at least run several weeks without any further issues? 

Fingers & legs crossed in the meantime - best of luck! Smiley Wink

Regards Tony
"Life is a Binary Inspired Turing Computed Hologram"(don't PM or @Mention me - in case ignoring you offends)
0 Kudos
marco772
Joining in
Message 5 of 25
Flag for a moderator

Hi again Tony,

Well, I'm imagining from your previous post that this will come as little surprise but...the Kindle has lost the WiFi again after only a week! Will continue working through the list from 6 onwards. I'd rather not factory reset the SH2 though as we have several devices using it without problem and I don;t want to jeopardize that!

Might have another crack at the Guest Channel thing too.

Will let you know.

Mark

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 6 of 25
Flag for a moderator

marco772 wrote:

Hi again Tony,

....I'd rather not factory reset the SH2 though as we have several devices using it without problem and I don;t want to jeopardise that!.....

Can't say I blame you but actually restoring a "back up" configuration on SH2 is probably far less problematic than restoring the backed up configuration (+ data/apps/video) on the Kindle?

Appears to be a number of issues on both Kindle "backup/restore" as well as "wifi" connectivity that are not necessarily related to just SuperHub but also other Wifi Routers?

Probably safest option is to see if anyone with same PaperWhite version + software is using same SH2 + V29 and getting similar issues first?

Personally I'd still be methodically testing with WPA2 in Auto, AES and TKIP settings on a Guest channel particular on TKIP that previously on earlier (Kindle) firmware was more stable? 

Regards Tony
0 Kudos
marco772
Joining in
Message 7 of 25
Flag for a moderator

Hmm, more odd behaviour! I re-enabled the 1st Guest Network 2.4HGZ and disabled security. Applied settings. Tried to connect the Paperwhite. Same old error message comes up...and THEN for no apparent reason it decides to reconnect to the main channel as it did last week.

Now I have to play the waiting game on it again as I can't really "fix" it if it's working! If that makes sense...

0 Kudos
Dave_cq
Trouble shooter
Message 8 of 25
Flag for a moderator

What Wi-Fi channel is your router set to?  Kindles generally will not respond to any channel above 11 and seem much happier on lower channel numbers than that.

********* SuperHub 2ac - Asus rt-ac68u Router - Vivid 100Mbps **********

Electron
0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 9 of 25
Flag for a moderator

The channel issue could be down to locale settings as Channels 12 and 13 are illegal in the USA. 

0 Kudos
marco772
Joining in
Message 10 of 25
Flag for a moderator

Hi, it's set to 11. I will add that to the list of things to try if decides to not play ball again! 

0 Kudos