Menu
DadNoWiFi
Joining in
Message 1 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Ive read it all, done it all but still bad wifi

Hi all,

So I have the latest and greatest hub from VM. I work from home and cant complain about my wired connection in any way - in fact it is superb! I upload and download gigs and gigs of files for my work everyday and I am really happy with the stability - however - the WiFi is shocking and it's killing me.

I don't use Wifi during the day except for the occasional text but when my wife and kids come home & things get dark real quick.

"Dad the Wifi is off again and I've just gone over my data allowance because i didn't know" is a daily occurrence and is costing me good money now.

Wifi icon graphics on phones don't update immediately (especially iphone) if the signal drops out (which it does 2 to 3 times a day) and as such a face time call goes from something that should be free in Wifi to an expensive experience - for me!

Everybody is hounding me to change provider but my own experience is good - until I finish work that is and try to jump on the wifi also.

I have had the calls to support - very nice people in the UK. really tried to help. Tested the hub - all good they say, could be one of many factors they say, like other people coming online locally. "Try changing channels" they say, try this try that, but to be honest I would need to be a full time engineer sitting here plugin wires into holes to keep the wifi online and I don't have time. I did the whole channel changing, security changing, box moving thing but everyone else is probably doing the same and it only works for a day. 

So I am truly stuck between a rock and a hard place. I am told new kit wont be sent out as from VM's end all looks good..(you should try being on the front lines like me - staring down at the cold glare of your teenage daughter when I tell her its not my fault) 

Something has to happen:

I cant just accept that this is just the way it is - I pay too much to VM for it to be this way and I am now paying extra for Data on my children's price plans. Wifi is everything to them at the moment in this new world we live in - to them it's completely unacceptable "ha you should of been around in the old days of 56k modems" I jest - tumble weed rolls through the house at this point.

You see it's a teenagers whole life and if her mates don't have this issue and they are on BT wifi then this is now a big issue for me to fix and for you Virgin Media to help me with. 

I have been with you guys since you were NTL and we have come a long way since then - yes we have had our ups and downs (I was paying another customers bill for 6 months once) but you have always come through for me - I'm falling on my sword here VM - I need your help.

End.

0 Kudos
Dave_cq
Trouble shooter
Message 2 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Re: Ive read it all, done it all but still bad wifi

"I did the whole channel changing, security changing, box moving thing but everyone else is probably doing the same and it only works for a day. "

The fact that it does work for a day when you change channels suggests that there is probably nothing wrong with your Wi-Fi signals as such (assuming the hub is not faulty) but it's simply the fact that you are living in a very congested Wi-Fi signal area and changing ISP isn't going to cure that.

Perhaps you could try some powerline adapters with Wi-Fi to get the signal closer to where the kids operate.    https://www.amazon.co.uk/Devolo-Powerline-Starter-Adapter-Extender/dp/B00OZDO8RE

********* SuperHub 2ac - Asus rt-ac68u Router - Vivid 100Mbps **********

Electron
0 Kudos
DadNoWiFi
Joining in
Message 3 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for your suggestion. I acquired a signal booster - but without a signal I cannot boost it. The wifi actually stops working - on all devices so the booster wont pass on anything that it is receiving of course. Of course when I contact VM everything is working fine.

Dave_cq wrote:

"I did the whole channel changing, security changing, box moving thing but everyone else is probably doing the same and it only works for a day. "

The fact that it does work for a day when you change channels suggests that there is probably nothing wrong with your Wi-Fi signals as such (assuming the hub is not faulty) but it's simply the fact that you are living in a very congested Wi-Fi signal area and changing ISP isn't going to cure that.

Perhaps you could try some powerline adapters with Wi-Fi to get the signal closer to where the kids operate.    https://www.amazon.co.uk/Devolo-Powerline-Starter-Adapter-Extender/dp/B00OZDO8RE

0 Kudos
Sephiroth
Alessandro Volta
Message 4 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Noddie's suggestion was for WiFi enabled Powerline adaptors. An extender is useless both for the reason you've given, and because as a relay, it more than halves the speed. Really they shouldn't be sold!

I have Powerline devices at both my homes. Peace in the valley.

Seph - ( DEFROCKED - My advice is at your risk)

0 Kudos
RainmakerRaw
Up to speed
Message 5 of 11
Flag for a moderator

How big is your house, and what are the walls made of? For example do you have a modern two bedroom or a massive eight bedroom house with stone walls? Wifi don't traverse walls very well. My own recommendation (I've done it myself) is to invest in some decent kit. Blaming the ISP is all very well but at the end of the day a little all in one box is only going to be of limited use. We have our Superhub in modem mode and pass that through to a pfSense router I built, which hands off to a PoE switch that handles our wired connections and runs a Ubiquiti UAP AC PRO.

Those little devices are like smoke alarms, and run off a single ethernet wire (the power goes down the wire alongside the data). They are easy to set up, have good range (especially the LR and Pro models) and - crucially - you can mount them easily on a ceiling centrally to where you need good signal. They are also easy to daisy-chain together so you can have one serving downstairs and one upstairs, or one in the main living space and one in a garage/barn/outbuilding. 

Our devices connect at >1Gbps over wireless AC and we get the full 200Mbps from it no problems. It's almost £100 for a lower end model and just over £100 for a higher end one, but it certainly solved our wifi issues (5GHz, 80MHz channel width).

Dave_cq
Trouble shooter
Message 6 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Sephiroth wrote:
Noddie's suggestion was for WiFi enabled Powerline adaptors. An extender is useless both for the reason you've given, and because as a relay, it more than halves the speed. Really they shouldn't be sold!

I have Powerline devices at both my homes. Peace in the valley.

Oi!  Who are you calling Noddie?    Smiley LOL

Electron
0 Kudos
DadNoWiFi
Joining in
Message 7 of 11
Flag for a moderator

I will look into this link more fully - and get my head around it - thank you all for your suggestions.

0 Kudos
Dave_cq
Trouble shooter
Message 8 of 11
Flag for a moderator

DadNoWiFi wrote:

I will look into this link more fully - and get my head around it - thank you all for your suggestions.

The key thing about those plugs is that the master unit plugs into a power socket near your hub and is physically connected to the hub with an Ethernet cable so it doesn't matter if the hub's Wi-Fi goes down because the Ethernet signal to the master plug is sent along the mains circuit to the slave plug which generates its own Wi-Fi signal wherever you choose to locate it.

Electron
Tsar
Up to speed
Message 9 of 11
Flag for a moderator

I feel your pain. I had exactly the same situation here. Wired connection was 160Mbps and totally stable. Needed it for work so did not want the lower speed from another ISP. Had teenage son and daughter moaning every night about the lack of wifi - and boy can they moan. Large old house with thick walls. Wifi performance was 100Mbps right next to the router (unfortunately located at one end of the house in my office), the rest of the house got between 5 and 15 Mbps on a good day and between 0 and 5 on a bad day.

Tried a number of things but ended up with this...

2 TP Link AV2000 powerline adapters, 3 TP Link AV 200 nano powerline adapters. 4 SKY routers I bought on Ebay for 99p each.

The SHub connects to one of the AV2000s, the other AV2000 is in the living room and connects via ethernet a smart TV, an Amazon fire TV box, a Chromecast (hacked to ethernet) a 3 wifi calling box (mobile signal is garbage here too) and one of the Sky routers. There is a TP Link switch in the mix as well. 

One  AV200s is in a games room - with another TV, a firestick and PS4. TP Link switch and SKY router.

The other AV200s + SKY routers are each of the kids' bedrooms.

I get around 80Mbps in the living room wired and 50Mbps wifi.

The kids each get 45Mbps in their bedrooms.

It is totally stable, never falls over. I set it up with different SSIDs for each router and use an app called wifly to automatically switch mobile devices to the best wifi signal as they move around the house.

Half the house needs rewiring so a better electrical circuit should get even better results. I'm satisfied, however. 

Cost about £100 for parental peace. Worth every penny. 

DadNoWiFi
Joining in
Message 10 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for you reply..I will look into all of this - still think it shouldn't be the way though

0 Kudos