Menu
dejavus
Tuning in
Message 1 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Is reddit blocked by VM?

Si I just joined Vm couple of weeks ago and when I try to access www.reddit.com I get the message below:

"

This site can’t provide a secure connection

www.reddit.com sent an invalid response.

• Try running Windows Network Diagnostics.
ERR_SSL_PROTOCOL_ERROR

"

I just tried using a VPN now and it works! What is going on here any one knows?

And it works occasionally wihtout the VPN but this is frustrating, to say the least.

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Re: Is reddit blocked by VM?

Working fine here for me, try accessing it in modem mode. If it doesn't load in modem mode, make two trace route logs. One from when in modem mode and one from when in router mode. Then share them here.

A previous topic showed that error message to be down to being IP blocked by the website. You could contact the website and ask to look into it.

- - - - - -
Any opinions expressed by myself are entirely my own and do not represent Virgin Media in any way.
0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 3 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Hello dejavus,

Thanks for posting Smiley Happy

Sorry to hear about the trouble you're having in accessing reddit. I too have tried this and it's working completely fine for me. As Shelke suggested, have you had a chance to test Modem Mode? Are you having this error on multiple devices?

Please get back to us so we can continue to investigate.

Take care.

Heather_J

Tech fan? Have you read our Digital life blog yet? Check it out

0 Kudos
tfortim
Joining in
Message 4 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Hia,

Just got my virgin up an running today as well, and well my wife is able to access reddit from her computer, whereas I am not. Exactly the same hardware in the computers, same wifi.

I'd the say only difference is that she uses Firefox where I use Chrome, however when I tried to access reddit through firefox on my computer the same error (as stated above from OP)

Cheers,

Tim

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 5 of 6
Flag for a moderator

that error is because of the SSL certificates.

this can sometimes happen if the date is wrong on the computer or more likely your antivirus program is trying to change the SSL certificate to scan secure sites.

Try disabling your antivirus software and try again
0 Kudos
tfortim
Joining in
Message 6 of 6
Flag for a moderator

*** SOLUTION FOUND ***

All I had to do was: Go to virgin medias website, log into your account. press "My apps" -> "Web safe". 

If you turn off the parental control and the "antivirus" block so to say I was able to access the websites I weren't before, such as reddit.

Obviously this is on your own risk and I'd always recommend that you have a free standing anti virus on your computer.

0 Kudos