Menu
davidb46
Joining in
Message 1 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Ipad problem with hub 3

Since we set up our new hub 3 the ipad airprint function cannot find the printer. It worked fine with the previous setup

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 2 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Re: Ipad problem with hub 3

Hi davidb46,

Welcome to our Community, I'm sure we can help with this Smiley Happy

First thing I'd like you to do please is to separate the wireless frequencies, 2.4GHz and 5GHz  - by default on Hub 3 they share the same name.

1. Navigate to your Hub's Interface pages by typing 192.168.0.1 into your browser.
  2. Log in with the access details noted on the label on your Hub (or on the pull-out tab).
  3. Advanced Settings
  4. Wireless
  5. Security
  6. Enter a new name in the field beneath Wireless Frequency 2.4GHz, next to Wifi Network Name (SSID)
  7. Now you can either change the network name for the 5GHz frequency, to something different to the above, or leave this one as it is.
  8. Click on Apply Changes.

Now attempt to reconnect your iPad and let us know if it works Smiley Happy

Jen
Forum Team

0 Kudos
davidb46
Joining in
Message 3 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for your message.

The wireless networks have already been separated. This was done remotely by one of the Virgin Media broadband team, but the ipad still won't print. The networks show up on the ipad with the name of the SSID followed by -2 and -5.

I tried to log in to the hub interface to check the names but, despite careful checking of the password, each time I do so I get an error message telling me the  password is incorrect. I have had no difficulty connecting to the hub with our desk top computer, the laptop or the ipad, using the password.

davidb46

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 4 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Hi davidb46,

This is most strange.

Would you please change the password? This does mean that you'll have to reconnect all devices, which I appreciate is a nuisance. But I'd like to know if this works or not.

Thanks,

Jen
Forum Team

0 Kudos
davidb46
Joining in
Message 5 of 13
Flag for a moderator

My fault. I didn't realise there was a separate settings password.

I have now logged in and confirmed that the wireless networks have been separated and that both the printer and the ipad are connected to the 2.4G network. The ipad still cannot find the printer. 

I also have a TP Link extender connected. We needed this before we had the Hub 3 in order to get a reliable signal in parts of the house. Is it possible that this is interfering with the connection? It never used to.

When I spoke to broadband support they told me there was a known problem with ipad connections to Hub 3 which was being worked on. I guess we are still affected.

davidb46

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 6 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Hi there davidb46,

Thanks for getting back to us.

It may be worth trying to disconnect the TP Link extender to see if that helps.

That way both devices are connected to the Hub 3's own wireless network rather than if both were connected to either the extender or Hub which may cause an issue.

Let us know how you get on

Sam

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

0 Kudos
Highlighted
davidb46
Joining in
Message 7 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Hi Sam,

I tried turning off the TP Link extender but the ipad still couldn't find the printer.

Regards

davidb46

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 8 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Hi Davidb46,

I appreciate the checks you have completed so far, but to no avail.

Can you check something else for me please?

Make sure that the printer software is up-to-date? You will be able to find an update on the manufacturer's website.

Speak soon

Sam

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

0 Kudos
davidb46
Joining in
Message 9 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Hi Sam,

Yes. I already checked that the software for both the printer and the ipad is up to date.

Regards

davidb46

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 10 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Hi davidb46,

Thanks for the reply.

I wonder if any ports need to be opened to get this working. You can check this link for more information, AirPrint, however as it is not from our own website it is at your own discretion if you use this link. 

If you do want to try opening the ports here is a guide for you to use if you wish > Setting Up Port Forwarding.

Speak soon

Sam

0 Kudos