Menu
Beth83
Joining in
Message 1 of 2
Flag for a moderator

Internet driving me mad! Keep getting kicked out

I recently upped my broadband from fibre50 to vivid100. Had nothing but problems since. It keeps kicking out one or more devices and won't allow back in. Myself and my 4 year old at home tonight, so only 2 devices running and her YouTube stopped working over 20 times. I've given up and gone to bed after sitting on the phone for over 40 mins to them be disconnected! I've spoken to virgin and been told to reset box etc etc. And how there's no problem they can see. Total nightmare. Any actual help or advice would be greatly appreciated x
0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 2
Flag for a moderator

Re: Internet driving me mad! Keep getting kicked out

How are you connecting wired or wirelessly?

If wireless, try wired directly to the hub with a Ethernet cable.

If the wired connection drops, posting the hub's power levels and network log would help.

If the wired connection is ok, then it looks like a problem with the wireless side.

Wireless reception is affected by many factors like Range, Client hardware, the Topograpy of your home, and the big killer, Wireless interference.

First of all, I would ensure the Hub is placed in a central, open position, away from obstacles and electrical devices.

You could try changing the wireless channel manually. Downloading a wireless scanner like InSSIDer for Windows or WiFiAnalyser for Android would help by showing you the surrounding wireless networks, the channels they are broadcasting on, and their signal strengths, so you can select the best wireless channel.

Setting the Hub's radio setting to 300Mbps (or 40Mhz channel) is not advised on the 2.4GHz band as it takes up over half of the available spectrum, making it prone to wireless interference..

I would also check for other sources of wireless interference such as A\V streaming devices, Baby monitors, Chordless phones, Microwave ovens, Plasma TVs, Security systems, etc.

Using the wider, usually less congested 5Ghz band could help, if your client devices support it.

0 Kudos