Menu
Keith35
Joining in
Message 1 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Internet access

Hi all,

I've been using Virgin Broadband since it's inception with very little trouble.

Lately, on a pc directly wired to the router I keep getting the message "network change detected" and no internet access using any browser. Tried all the usual suspects including winsock, netsh int ip resets, ipconfig release and renew, DNS flush. Same result.

Disconnected LAN cable and tried wireless. Same thing.

All other devices work fine: another PC, laptop, phones, tablets, iPad.

Any ideas? I've tried all suggestions on the net apart from hitting it with a hammer.

OK I'm 81 years old but still got most of my marbles so I can implement any tech solutions offered!

Thanks. Keith

0 Kudos
Dave_cq
Trouble shooter
Message 2 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Re: Internet access

Hi Keith,

This sounds very mysterious and it looks like you've pretty much exhausted potential remedies.  The only thought I have is maybe reserve an IP address against the mac address of the pc in your hub/router.

********* SuperHub 2ac - Asus rt-ac68u Router - Vivid 100Mbps **********

Electron
0 Kudos
Tudor
Well-informed
Message 3 of 6
Flag for a moderator

What operating system is on the PC? If Windows, have any fixes been applied via Windows Update recently? There may have been an update to your network drivers which is causing this problem.

There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't
0 Kudos
Keith35
Joining in
Message 4 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Hi all. Thanks for the quick responses but I'm still in the same boat.

The PC is Windows 7 with SP1 and the usual pile of updates. However, the problem affects not only the PC but also other laptops connected to my wi-fi.

It occurs with both WiFi and wired connections. All show full connection but no internet access, so it's something common to all.

Funnily enough, my phone, iPad and Nexus tablet all connect perfectly, as does my main PC from which I am generating this reply. This PC is a self built shuttle using SSD,is Win 10 with a decent spec.

Again, I'll try anything suggested except clean installs because I don't think that will help.

Thanks again,

Keith

0 Kudos
Keith35
Joining in
Message 5 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Hi all,

I have sorted my problem as follows:

Went  to Network and Sharing in Control Panel, clicked on Local Area Connection, properties, IPV4 and uncheck the Automatic DNS button.

Checked the Use this DNS and inserted the Google server settings: top row 8.8.8.8, bottom row 8.8.4.4. Click OK and hey presto I'm in at full speed.

Hope this helps someone with the same problem.

Keith

0 Kudos
Forum Team (Retired) Adam_L
Forum Team (Retired)
Message 6 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Hi Keith35, 

Thanks for keeping us in the loop with regards to your issues! 

I am pleased to hear that you managed to resolve your issues by changing the DNS settings to match that of Google! This is great, I hope other customers with similar issues will benefit from your work around.

Just remember, should you require any assistance in future then post back here on the forums and we'll gladly take a look at things from here for you.

Take care, 

Thanks, 

Adam.

Tech fan? Have you read our Digital life blog yet? Check it out

0 Kudos