Menu
PLYeung
Tuning in
Message 1 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Internet Dropping Frequently

Hi, I seem to be having issues with my VM connection dropping fairly frequently, sometimes it drops several times a day. This seems to be happening directly from the VM box, Here are some screenshots of the power levels and the configs, What can I do about it?

Network LogNetwork LogConfigsConfigsDownstreamDownstreamUpstreamUpstream

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Re: Internet Dropping Frequently

Your connection looks very unhealthy. Only one downstream channel is locked on when you should have at least eight and the power level on that one channel is too low. Also only one upstream channel is locked on when you should have at least two and the power level on that one channel is too high.

If the hub hasn't been restarted recently you could try that and see if it locks on to more channels. If not then you will need an engineer visit to investigate why you are not getting the correct number of channels locked on. You can call VM and try to book a visit or wait for the VM staff to get to this thread and they can help you book a visit. Unfortunatley current response times on here from staff are about a week.

Disclaimer - I don't work for Virgin Media. I'm just another VM user trying to help out so my answers may be wrong Smiley Happy If my answer solves your problem please mark it as helpful as it may help others
My setup: Vivid 200 Optical fibre with Superhub 2 in modem mode connected to a Netgear R7000 router. Telewest/VM user since 2001.  

PLYeung
Tuning in
Message 3 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Thanks, I've restarted it and its still the same.

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 4 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Hello PLYeung

Welcome to our forum, I am sorry to see you are having difficulties with the connection. As Scott mentioned the power levels are not looking too good amongst other issues. Best we let an engineer take a look.

Currently VM SUPER HUB 2ACUpstream 053.5 dBmV

I will send you a forum private message to arrange an appointment, please reply when you have a moment.

Many thanks

Nicola

Virgin Media Forum Team
0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 5 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Hello PLYeung

Thank you for getting back. I have arranged an engineer appointment please check your forum PMs for details and let us know how it goes.

Many thanks

Nicola

Virgin Media Forum Team
PLYeung
Tuning in
Message 6 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Just had the engineer round, he fixed the power levels for me, Downstream Power Levels are between 1 - 2.2 and upstream 45.0 - 45.5

My connection managed to lock 8 downstream channels the other day and 2 upstream.

The engineer said there was an area issue as head office did some upgrades but apparently didn't configure it properly

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 7 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Morning PLYeung

Thanks for the update. I can see you all nicely locked on now with much better levels:-

Downstream: 1.7 dBmV        1.9 dBmV        1.9 dBmV        1.8 dBmV        1.5 dBmV        1.4 dBmV        1.2 dBmV        1.1 dBmV
        37.3 dB        37.6 dB        37.9 dB        37.9 dB        37.3 dB        36.6 dB        36.1 dB        36.1 dB

Upstream:    45.5 dBmV        45.5 dBmV

Interesting what you say about the area issue, best we keep an eye on it. If you have any more difficulties just let us know.

Thank you

Nicola

Virgin Media Forum Team
PLYeung
Tuning in
Message 8 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Yes, my connection feels like its running a lot smoother now.

Thank you for your help! ^_^

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 9 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Hello PLYeung

You're welcome, really pleased to hear it.

Thank you

Nicola

Virgin Media Forum Team
0 Kudos
PLYeung
Tuning in
Message 10 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Hello Nicola,

I've sent you a PM, Could you please take a look and reply when you get a chance.

Thanks!

0 Kudos