Menu
SteveBuck
Joining in
Message 1 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Intermittent wireless signal

Hi,

I have recently been experiencing flaky wireless performance from my Super Hub.

I've followed the "getting the best wireless network signal" tips and repositioned the hub, changed channel to AUTO and changed frequency to 5GHz.

Initially this seemed to help but then signal weakens or periodically drops completely for a short while.  SpeedTest.net results show download speeds up to 50M but then sometimes down to single figures.  The performance is rendering an Amazon Firestick useless as it keeps buffering and losing network.

Thanks in advance!

0 Kudos

Helpful Answers
Superuser
Superuser
Message 4 of 8
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Intermittent wireless signal

Probably best to try some wired tests first to see if the speed is being delivered to the hub reliably before exploring wireless options.

Having said that, the 5Ghz band is less congested and faster but not as good at penetrating walls as the 2.4GHz band so that might be a factor.  Powerline adapters are usually a good way to improve wireless around a property.  They use the electrical wiring in your house to create a wired network without the need for long cables.  They are rarely as fast as the manufacturer's claim but are a lot more stable and less prone to interference than wireless.  Some provide just wired connections and others come with additional wireless built in to allow you to create a wireless access point in parts of the house where the wireless signal is poor.   Some powerline adapter reviews here:
http://www.pcadvisor.co.uk/test-centre/network-wifi/20-best-powerline-adapters-2016-uk-3490638/

Disclaimer - I don't work for Virgin Media. I'm just another VM user trying to help out so my answers may be wrong Smiley Happy If my answer solves your problem please mark it as helpful as it may help others
My setup: Vivid 200 Optical fibre with Superhub 2 in modem mode connected to a Netgear R7000 router. Telewest/VM user since 2001.  

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 7 of 8
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Hi Steve

if you are having to choose between 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz on the router rather than both simultaneously I'm guessing you have the original Superhub which doesn't support dual band wireless and is notorious round these parts for providing poor wireless.

You can try calling VM and see if they can replace your hub with a more recent one, although the current Hub 3 is not guaranteed to resolve your issues as that has had issues with Amazon Firesticks in the past.  If you call in and take the "Thinking of leaving us option" to get through to the retentions team (don't worry they do a lot more than just process cancellations) and point out how bad the wireless is on your old Superhub they might be able to sort out a new hub.

You could buy your own router and put the Superhub into modem mode.  It is what I and many others have done and has improved my wireless performance immensely.

Disclaimer - I don't work for Virgin Media. I'm just another VM user trying to help out so my answers may be wrong Smiley Happy If my answer solves your problem please mark it as helpful as it may help others
My setup: Vivid 200 Optical fibre with Superhub 2 in modem mode connected to a Netgear R7000 router. Telewest/VM user since 2001.  

All Replies
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Have you checked with an Ethernet connected device to make sure the hub is still getting the full speed?  If wired speeds are also slow then it isn't just a wireless issue and suggests a possible line fault.

Are you seeing slow speeds all day or only at peak times (typically 4pm-11pm weekdays and weekends)? Some areas are suffering with over utilisation, which results in very slow speeds at peak times but full speed at off peak times.

0 Kudos
SteveBuck
Joining in
Message 3 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Hi Scott

Thanks for your response

I will perform some tests with Ethernet wired.  We don't use the service so much during the day, it's more peak times so not sure about the over-utilisation possibility, I'll try to test this when possible.

Something else I realised, which doesn't help the wireless signal to the rest of the house, is that the hub and the main PC are in a small study which was added as an extension to the house before we moved here.  I've noticed that the wall between the study and the rest of the house, which the wireless signal has to penetrate, used to be the outside wall so is double-brick!  I'm now wondering what my best option is to get a another hub/repeater or some way to transmit a good signal to the main house, without necessarily moving the hub from the study, as then this room will have a weak signal.  So basically its as if I have the hub outside my house !  (Having said that I still see wide variations in service even directly next to the hub).  Any suggestions gratefully accepted, cheers.

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 4 of 8
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Probably best to try some wired tests first to see if the speed is being delivered to the hub reliably before exploring wireless options.

Having said that, the 5Ghz band is less congested and faster but not as good at penetrating walls as the 2.4GHz band so that might be a factor.  Powerline adapters are usually a good way to improve wireless around a property.  They use the electrical wiring in your house to create a wired network without the need for long cables.  They are rarely as fast as the manufacturer's claim but are a lot more stable and less prone to interference than wireless.  Some provide just wired connections and others come with additional wireless built in to allow you to create a wireless access point in parts of the house where the wireless signal is poor.   Some powerline adapter reviews here:
http://www.pcadvisor.co.uk/test-centre/network-wifi/20-best-powerline-adapters-2016-uk-3490638/

0 Kudos
SteveBuck
Joining in
Message 5 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Hi Scott,

Just tried 3 consecutive tests using a PC wired and another wireless ...

Wired gave download speeds of 50, 46 & 45 MB

Wireless done at exactly the same time gave 15, 14 & 16

Not sure whether that's a bigger differential than expected

(PS I've now changed the router back to 2.5 GHz as my wireless printers didn't seem to support 5 GHz)

Cheers,

Steve

0 Kudos
SteveBuck
Joining in
Message 6 of 8
Flag for a moderator

... another 3 test 1/2 hour later and the drop in Wireless performance is significant

Wired 50, 50 & 53 Mbps

Wireless 5, 6 & 16 Mbps.  This PC is directly next to the hub.

This is fairly typical of the variations I am seeing.  Looks to me as if its the wireless signal dropping not the wired service. 

The hub is fairly old, wondering whether I should be suggesting a replacement ?

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 7 of 8
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Hi Steve

if you are having to choose between 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz on the router rather than both simultaneously I'm guessing you have the original Superhub which doesn't support dual band wireless and is notorious round these parts for providing poor wireless.

You can try calling VM and see if they can replace your hub with a more recent one, although the current Hub 3 is not guaranteed to resolve your issues as that has had issues with Amazon Firesticks in the past.  If you call in and take the "Thinking of leaving us option" to get through to the retentions team (don't worry they do a lot more than just process cancellations) and point out how bad the wireless is on your old Superhub they might be able to sort out a new hub.

You could buy your own router and put the Superhub into modem mode.  It is what I and many others have done and has improved my wireless performance immensely.

SteveBuck
Joining in
Message 8 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Cheers Scott

Thanks for all your great help

0 Kudos