Menu
murof
On our wavelength
Message 1 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Intermittent network problems

We've been having a lot of intermittent problems in the Reading area for the past couple of months where the connection seems to drop for a few minutes then comes back.

Finally had enough of it and last night thought I might have a look to see where the issues where.

After doing some wired and wireless tests I can pretty well say that it isn't related to Wi-Fi and it is related to the hub or something external to my LAN.

Yesterday when the problem was active I could see lots of 'critical errors' in the router log as it was trying to connect to the network, though after it connected these were deleted.

What can be done to look into why this is happening? 

Is there anything unusual about these levels?

vm power levels feb2017.jpg

0 Kudos
murof
On our wavelength
Message 2 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Re: Intermittent network problems

Hello??

Anybody from virgin media available with some help or suggestions?

0 Kudos
timpearsall
Joining in
Message 3 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Hi, I've had the same problem for two weeks now, tried countless times on the phone and on here, no one seems to be able to diagnose the problem, just keep diverting me, can anyone finally help?

123.jpg 

0 Kudos
murof
On our wavelength
Message 4 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Doesn't look like there' s much help around here unless your problem is related to power levels being wrong or your Wi-Fi is running running on a congested level., though saying that, I can't even get someone to comment on the power levels.Smiley Sad

I have an unusual additional problem in that I quite often I can't connect to http://192.168.0.1 for periods of time, though when this is happening I can access other devices on my local lan and even all sites on the internet.  I'm thinking there may be an issue with the router.

Any thoughts......anybody?? 

0 Kudos
Forum Team (Retired) Adam_L
Forum Team (Retired)
Message 5 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Hi murof, 

Thanks for the post! I am sorry to hear about your intermittent connection issues, I apologise for any inconvenience caused.

I have tested your connection from here and I can see that there's quite a few time outs inside the Hubs logs however your Hub has been online for quite a while. Please could you reboot your Hub and post back to me here when you've done it to let me know, I will then leave it a day or so and test again. That way should there be anymore time outs inside then I can arrange for an engineer to sort this for you, and if not then we can look into this further!

Speak soon, 

Thanks, 

Adam.

Tech fan? Have you read our Digital life blog yet? Check it out

0 Kudos
murof
On our wavelength
Message 6 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Hi Adam,

Thanks for looking at my post, seemed odd that no one gave any help about the power levels.  I thought I must've been on someone's blacklist at VM.

Anyway, I restarted the router last night as requested.

Please get back to me with an update.

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 7 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Hi murof,

Thanks for doing that reset for us!

I've checked the hub logs and the timeout counter is still really high. I'd like to arrange for a technician to check this out for you.

I've sent you a private message (purple envelope at the top right of your screen) so I can arrange an appointment.

Speak soon Smiley Very Happy

Josh

0 Kudos
murof
On our wavelength
Message 8 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Thanks Josh, I've replied to your message.
0 Kudos
murof
On our wavelength
Message 9 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Hi,

I've had my router changed and everything seemed ok for a couple of days, but now I have a flashing green light on my router and lots of errors in the log, though the internet is still available.

Can you please take a look at the router and see what is going on?

Thanks

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 10 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Hi Murof,

Thanks for posting an update!

Really sorry to hear you're still having trouble with this.

I've run diagnostics on the equipment and you're right, there are quite a high number of timeouts in the hub's log. I'd like to arrange for another technician to sort this out.

I've sent you a private message so I can get this arranged.

Speak soon Smiley Very Happy

Josh

0 Kudos