Menu
Thinkbecca
Tuning in
Message 1 of 18
Flag for a moderator

Intermittent broadband for months

Hello,

For months now, our broadband access has been intermittent - the connection keeps dropping all the time, making it impossible to work from home.

The answer I got from support is that it's due to the upgrade and that works are being done in the area, but it's now been months, with no improvement. In the meantime the monthly cost has been increased... for a service that is hard to use.

Any advice?

0 Kudos

Helpful Answers
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 18
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Intermittent broadband for months

Can't comment on the alleged upgrade work, need VM staff to confirm that, but it doesn't sound quite right and it wouldn't be the first time call centre staff gave out inaccurate info.

Are you using a wired Ethernet connection to the VM hub or a wireless connection? Wireless is easily disrupted by a number of external factors, so knowing if a wired device drops out helps to pinpoint if the issue is with the wireless or your line.

As you are having issues working from home, can you confirm that the connection can drop at any time of day and not just at peak times in the evening and at weekends?

If wired connections are dropping at off peak times then some hub stats might help diagnose the issue.  Go to http://192.168.0.1/ (or http://192.168.100.1/ if you are in modem mode) to get the VM hub GUI. Don't login but instead click on Router Status which is either a button in the top right of the screen or a text link at the bottom of the screen depending on which hub you have. Click on the Downstream, Upstream and Network Log sections and copy & paste the figures from those screens and post them here, don't worry about the formatting or you can post screenshots if that is easier. Be careful to edit out or obscure any reference to your WAN IP or MAC address in the log to protect your privacy.

The community can have a look for you and see if anything in the figures looks wrong and advise accordingly. Or you can wait for the VM staff to pick up this thread (can take 7-10 days) and run checks on your line.

Disclaimer - I don't work for Virgin Media. I'm just another VM user trying to help out so my answers may be wrong Smiley Happy If my answer solves your problem please mark it as helpful as it may help others
My setup: Vivid 200 Optical fibre with Superhub 2 in modem mode connected to a Netgear R7000 router. Telewest/VM user since 2001.

All Replies
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 18
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Can't comment on the alleged upgrade work, need VM staff to confirm that, but it doesn't sound quite right and it wouldn't be the first time call centre staff gave out inaccurate info.

Are you using a wired Ethernet connection to the VM hub or a wireless connection? Wireless is easily disrupted by a number of external factors, so knowing if a wired device drops out helps to pinpoint if the issue is with the wireless or your line.

As you are having issues working from home, can you confirm that the connection can drop at any time of day and not just at peak times in the evening and at weekends?

If wired connections are dropping at off peak times then some hub stats might help diagnose the issue.  Go to http://192.168.0.1/ (or http://192.168.100.1/ if you are in modem mode) to get the VM hub GUI. Don't login but instead click on Router Status which is either a button in the top right of the screen or a text link at the bottom of the screen depending on which hub you have. Click on the Downstream, Upstream and Network Log sections and copy & paste the figures from those screens and post them here, don't worry about the formatting or you can post screenshots if that is easier. Be careful to edit out or obscure any reference to your WAN IP or MAC address in the log to protect your privacy.

The community can have a look for you and see if anything in the figures looks wrong and advise accordingly. Or you can wait for the VM staff to pick up this thread (can take 7-10 days) and run checks on your line.

Disclaimer - I don't work for Virgin Media. I'm just another VM user trying to help out so my answers may be wrong Smiley Happy If my answer solves your problem please mark it as helpful as it may help others
My setup: Vivid 200 Optical fibre with Superhub 2 in modem mode connected to a Netgear R7000 router. Telewest/VM user since 2001.

Forum Team (Retired) Adam_L
Forum Team (Retired)
Message 3 of 18
Flag for a moderator

Hi Thinkbecca, 

Thanks for letting us know that your broadband has been intermittent for months, I apologise for any inconvenience caused.

I have tried to test your connection from here but I was unable to locate any of your details via your forum account. In order to proceed I will require some additional information from you.

I will send you a PM (purple envelope at the top) detailing what's required to proceed with diagnostics. Please respond to me there and I'll get this all sorted for you.

Take care, 

Thanks, 

Adam.

Tech fan? Have you read our Digital life blog yet? Check it out

0 Kudos
Thinkbecca
Tuning in
Message 4 of 18
Flag for a moderator

Hi Scott,

Thanks for your response!

To answer your questions:

• The issue happens both on WiFi and wired connections
  • It happens at any time, day, evening, weekend
  • I have not been able to access the Hub GUI (even though I've been able to in the past!) on any device, not sure why?

Thinkbecca

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 5 of 18
Flag for a moderator

Hi Thinkbecca

Thanks for the reply, but probably best that you respond to Adam's PM as he is VM staff and can help you better than I could.

0 Kudos
Forum Team (Retired) Adam_L
Forum Team (Retired)
Message 6 of 18
Flag for a moderator

Hi Thinkbecca, 

Thanks for responding!

I have managed to test your connection and everything looks great! No errors or time outs inside the Hubs logs and all of the power levels are within the preferred ranges.

When the connection drops, what does the Hubs light sequence indicate?

Could you please include a recent copy of your Hubs logs in your response for me to compare with the data we have here.

Do all devices disconnect at the same time or is it just a select few that go off?

Speak soon, 

Thanks, 

Adam.

Tech fan? Have you read our Digital life blog yet? Check it out

0 Kudos
Thinkbecca
Tuning in
Message 7 of 18
Flag for a moderator

Hello,

When the connection drops, the Hub doesn't seem to have any particular light sequence, it's still in blue.

All devices are affected at the same time, whether they're connected in WiFi or cable.

How can I access the logs?

Regards,

Rebecca

0 Kudos
Thinkbecca
Tuning in
Message 8 of 18
Flag for a moderator

Hello,

My connection is still very unreliable, and I still haven't been able to access the router logs.

Any suggestions?

Thanks for your help,

Rebecca

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 9 of 18
Flag for a moderator

@ModTeam I notice that Adam is not showing as being online since Friday, has this thread been forgotten about or assigned to somebody else in his absence?

Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 10 of 18
Flag for a moderator

Hi there Thinkbecca,

Sorry for the late reply. Thanks Scott for bringing this to our attention.

I've managed to locate your account and there is an SNR (signal to noise ratio) fault in your area which is causing intermittent connection. The reference number is F005019571 and has a review date of 30th January.

I will check this on Monday for further updates and let you know.

Speak soon

Sam

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide